THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:31 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 510 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 51  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:44 pm 

Alby wrote:
Brando wrote:
Elf. Now it’s Christmas.

Loathsome movie.

Well, we agreed on one thing at least. :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:37 pm 

Hidden Figures - about the mathematicians behind the US space programme - 3 Black American women in the still segregated culture of the US in the 1950-60s.
Mind blowing that this was such recent history.
9/10.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:38 am 

leodon wrote:
Hidden Figures - about the mathematicians behind the US space programme - 3 Black American women in the still segregated culture of the US in the 1950-60s.
Mind blowing that this was such recent history.
9/10.

Loved this for the IBM connection as much as anything. Made me feel old because I actually worked on the shiny new tape drives they installed with the mainframe (they weren't shiny and new when I got to them mind). :o

Now, where's my old oscilloscope?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:41 pm 

Location: .... In SG19 ..... APL Champion 2017/18 Betting Champion 2019/20 Power of 3 Champion 2017/18 + 19/20
MKAylesburyDon wrote:
Alby wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:
Brando wrote:
Elf. Now it’s Christmas.

The definitive Christmas film is Die Hard

Home Alone end of story.

I'll raise you both Gremlins as the best Christmas movie

All those are rubbish, in comparison with Bad Santa.

21/22 26 11 _9 89 LM 3rd

05/06 12 14 20 50 DW 22nd R
22/23 11 12 23 45 lm/MJ 21st R
17/18 11 12 23 45 rn/DM 23rd R
15/16 _9 12 25 39 KR 23rd R

LS: A rocky start, that's all it is.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:48 pm 

A few over Christmas

Pitch Perfect 3 - another zany outing from the Bellas, if you like this series you will love this third instalment, fortunately we are all big fans
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle -not much in common with the much loved original but not bad entertainment notwithstanding. This one is more about the big Hollywood characters than quality of the plot, still worth a look - pleasant nonsense
The Greatest Showman - still not really sure about this, felt like a good idea badly handled - too cheesy, more like High School Music Hall

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:56 pm 

Mollie's Game - true story of failed Olympic wannabe Molly Bloom who sets up an exclusive high stakes private poker game for the rich, famous and very dodgy whilst on her gap year in LA. Nabbed by the Rozzers as part of a mob purge and defended by well known American attorney Idris Elba, she has some difficult choices to make. Didn't really know what to expect but this was edge of your seat stuff, one of the best films I have seen lately

All the Money in the World - another true story, this time the 1970's kidnapping of Paul Getty, teenage grandson of squillionaire oil magnate J Paul Getty. Some sumptuous cinematography portraying 1970s Rome, but this felt slow and a bit disconnected to me, all the more surprising given that it's a Ridley Scott film

A shameless plug - rather than doing schoolwork, Littlest OFD has been running his own film blog for a couple of years, click here - http://www.hmbw.co.uk/movie-reviews - for the teen view on both of the above

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:36 pm 

Hell or High Water

Missed this in the cinema so just catching up. It's excellent.

Set in West Texas at the height of the post 2008 recession, with the banks foreclosing on mortgages left, right and centre. The banks are certainly one of the villains.

Two brothers, one a poor but decent guy (played by the new James T Kirk bloke) and his asshole, bad-ass, jailbird brother, stage a series of bank roberies from the bank chain that is about to foreclose on their dead Mamma's farm. They are only stealing enough to pay off the debt. Neo-Kirk plans the heists but his brother is a bit of a loose cannon and takes risks.

Two Texas Rangers, one a Good Ol' Boy cowboy type who is on the point of retirement (Jeff Bridges), investigate the crimes.

The relationships between both pairs are very well played. The brothers love each other even though they are very different and piss each other off. The cops have a complex relationship too. Bridges takes the piss with vaguely racist banter (his partner is a Native American/Mexican mix). They're not buddies but it's a realistic pairing.

The landscapes are a highlight - sometimes beautiful but often oppressive. The soundtrack is great (Nick Cave is heavily involved).

So it's a neo-western, cops and robbers, buddy movie. But it's far more subtle and intelligent than that. Well played by the entire cast. Definately worth seeking out.

8/10

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:07 pm 

Get Out

A surprisingly intelligent modern horror. Reminds me of The Skeleton Key, which I liked. Basically because it's the same story.

Gers recommended

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:19 pm 

Darkest Hour
I've always loved Gary Oldman. IMO he is one of the most versatile actors to grace the screen. The contrast of the characters he plays showcases what a talent he is. It's a wonder he's never won an acadamy award....yet!
He plays the great Winston Churchill to amazing effect. I found him quite literally mesmerising. The film too is a well made biopic to what is probably Britain's bleakest moment the prelude to Operation Dynamo (the subject to last year's 'Dunkirk').
Truly this is an excellent film with a goose-bump inducing performance from Mr Oldman; and if he's overlooked again for the Oscar he deserves, it would be a travesty.

8.5/10

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:54 pm 
Three billboards outside Ebbing Missouri.

Incredible film - Frances McDormand and Sam Rockwell are amazing in it.

Go see it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 510 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 51  Next