THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 4:51 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 522 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 53  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:03 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
Aliramone wrote:
I went to The Darts on Sunday night for the semis and the final with a junior Ramone. Great night out. Lots of fun. Super atmoshphere. Very tense final. Well worth the ticket price.

The Arena must have a made an absolute s*dding fortune from the booze sold. £6.50 a pint and £25 for a jug of 4 which most people appeared to spill loads of, getting back to their seats. Having attended such an event previously I (ahem, believe the phrase is...) 'pre-loaded' before hand - but (natch) still contributed to the coffers.

I'm pretty sure I saw Jack Tucker at the bar. He had a bottle of water in his hand and was buying drinks for two mates (?) Not other players. I didn't say anything.

Thoroughly recommend it for next year dudes.

Not heard of a film called The Darts. Is it up for any Oscars?

It missed out on an Oscar or a Tony, but it did get an Oche.

Hope they won their BFH. Everyone loves a bit of bully!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:49 pm 

I completely missed the right thread to post on. Soz.
And ironically, I'm not drinking this eve! :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:07 pm 

Aliramone wrote:

Early onset... just sayin'... :P

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:56 pm 

keyser soze wrote:
Aliramone wrote:

Yeah, thanks for that observation Gers.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:53 am 

Aliramone wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
Aliramone wrote:

Yeah, thanks for that observation Gers.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:01 am 

We Have A Ghost

Yet another 80’s tribute act. The sort of thing you could imagine Eddie Murphy starring in back in the day.

Before we go any further, this film is over long, and outstayed it’s welcome chez Gers. There is a set-piece car chase for example that just went on far too long. It actually became a bit boring. In actual fact the whole thing could’ve been doing with losing at least half an hour. But anyway…

Basic plot. A young family moves into an old house that’s too good to be true, because it’s haunted. Starring the usually wonderful David Harbour as the aforementioned spirit in the attic,and a host of biggish names in support, Tig Notaro, Jennifer Coolidge, Anthony Mackie to name but a few. Just a brief mention of Coolidge here. She was so obviously cast in the wake of The White Lotus, and is given so little to do, and does so little with it, that I’d imaging her whole ONE scene took the best part of a morning to film. Wasted opportunity. If there’s one vaguely interesting point, then it’s the youngest member of the family trying to find out why Harbour’s character died. But that’s about it.

The problem with this as I’ve already mentioned, it’s far too long, and that’s because the plot goes all over the place. There’s just far too many subplots that get shoehorned in. A medium, a ghost hunter, The CIA, the ghost as social media phenomena. The last being a case in point. Start’s off being the main plot-device, but the writer obviously got bored, or more likely forgot, and it’s quickly abandoned.

If you liked Ghostbusters or Beetlejuice, then this is the movie for you. But as a nostalgia trip, it’s a journey best avoided.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:35 pm 

Just spent the past few days watching the Rocky/Creed films. I'm a big boxing fan, and it's always escaped me that I've never watched them. Everyone I've ever spoken to has been surprised by that.

Rocky - Excellent. Pulled in by a dumbass bum who, at first I couldn't believe was a hero who'd carry a movie franchise for at least 6 films. But fuck me did he drag me in by the end. Didn't buy his and Adrian's relationship until II when married, but it was great. All the iconic scenes I was aware of that I thought would be cheesy were actually superb. That final fight had me gripped. Just go the distance.

Rocky II - Even better for me. Starting off where we left off was smart. Rocky becomes more sympathetic, struggling to deal with the aftermath, and becoming a regular working man again. Needs to make money like he did with Creed fight, but ultimately cant for very long. The build up to the rematch, the training montage, everything about this movie I loved. Best of the Rocky franchise for me.

Rocky III - Cheesy, and this is the point where clearly this got the Star Wars treatment and became a product and a blockbuster. Falls short in some places but picks up in the late second act and final act. Once Mickey dies which is sad, I felt it got a lot better. Very 80s, the Hulk Hogan stuff was funny and the montage again superb and the chemistry between Creed and Balboa was wonderful. I never found Apollo dislikeable but if you did he wins you over here no doubt. Tense fight, and a solid third instalment.

Rocky 4 - Has its moments but it got a bit ridiculous here for me. Spoiler alert: I could never buy Rocky beating Drago after what he did first time around to Apollo (who got sent out like a bitch imo) in an exhibition. Argument could be Apollo was rusty and Drago went too far but either way, Drago had him on toast and that second wind doesn't sit with me.
The robot sucked too. Also should've felt more for Apollo's passing than I did. And I don't think I saw enough of Drago being held accountable, whether he cares or not. Good fun nonetheless and I was never bored.

Rocky 5 - Didn't watch because I'm not a dumbass.

Rocky Balboa - Perfectly serviceable and cromulent movie. Adrian's death was a surprise and one I'd have liked to have seen. Could've made Rocky more sympathetic on screen. The girl he remeets is a bit odd with little payoff, not that I wanted one, age gap etc. I guess there was a payoff in the else he needed company and to make people smile and he helped her and her son out so meh. It's a bit pointless ut you can't help but love watching him get back in that ring.

Rocky VIII: Adrian's Revenge - If you know, you know.

Creed - Brilliant spinoff. Michael B Jordan is one of the best actors around today. The change up to a more modern day urban fighters perspective than a washed up old fighter like the previous film was greatly executed. Despite Tony Bellew's dreadful acting, it was well pieced together by MBJ, Stallone, Tessa Thompson and the rest. A truly great modern movie and some amazing cinematography. Gritty, and wonderfully put together.

Creed II - More of the same, but that's not a bad thing. Kept what worked, and borrowed a lot of what worked in all previous fipms. Adonis wants to avenge his father and you really do sympathise with him a lot during this film . The struggles of losing your way, and having to find that drive is fascinating. I don't buy that Viktor Drago and Adonis Creed are the same weight division though, it looked a bit ridiculous at times but I can pass that off. Nail biting and tense, with a wonderful payoff.

Off to see Creed III soon.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:44 pm 

Alby39 wrote:
Creed II - More of the same, but that's not a bad thing. Kept what worked, and borrowed a lot of what worked in all previous fipms. Adonis wants to avenge his father and you really do sympathise with him a lot during this film . The struggles of losing your way, and having to find that drive is fascinating. I don't buy that Viktor Drago and Adonis Creed are the same weight division though, it looked a bit ridiculous at times but I can pass that off. Nail biting and tense, with a wonderful payoff.

Creed III was great fun!

It's more of the same of course, the great thing about this franchise is that you pretty much know what you are going to get minus the specific plot lines. This outing felt a bit little less edgy than Creed II to me, but per usual its very well cast and the characters all deliver handsomely - Michael B Jordan was born to play Adonis creed. It does get a bit off the wall in one or two places (no spoilers) but I think that actually works in it's favour

John Wick: Chapter 4 booked for Saturday night - littlest OFD has managed to twist my arm into booking a Superscreen so looking forward to that, but two hours and 49 minutes? :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:08 am 

Oldfarmdons wrote:
Alby39 wrote:

Creed III was great fun!

It's more of the same of course, the great thing about this franchise is that you pretty much know what you are going to get minus the specific plot lines. This outing felt a bit little less edgy than Creed II to me, but per usual its very well cast and the characters all deliver handsomely - Michael B Jordan was born to play Adonis creed. It does get a bit off the wall in one or two places (no spoilers) but I think that actually works in it's favour

John Wick: Chapter 4 booked for Saturday night - littlest OFD has managed to twist my arm into booking a Superscreen so looking forward to that, but two hours and 49 minutes? :shock:

Watched them both back to back!
Loved Creed III. Again one where you have to suspend your disbelief an awful lot and I thought the second and third acts were rushed in parts but it was so well put together I can't complain. The villain was sympathetic, dislikeable, admirable and chilling all in one for me. Solid trilogy.

John Wick in the super screen was... well.... all I'll say is, everything John Wick has been and more. If you've questioned where they can go next you'll be laughing and slapping your knees in joy all movie. Donnie Yen is utterly fantastic too.

Also, with regards to Super Screen, come back to this and tell me I'm wrong.... that very first punch sequence... oosht. :shock:

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:31 pm 

Gers wrote:
The Banshees of Inisherin

Oh my God! This is possibly one of the greatest movies I’ve ever seen. It’s a rare thing for a film to have you laughing out loud at some of the funniest one liners ever committed to celluloid. For example when one of the characters finds a stick with a hook on the end… “Now! What do you suppose you’d do with this? Except hook things that are a stick’s length away”, to having you on the verge of tears with a truly heartbreaking scene. I actually raised my hand to my mouth in shock at one point. It was a true heartbreaker.

Starts off with a simple line that sets the tone for the rest of the movie… “I guess I don’t like you no more”. Reuniting In Bruge's Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson, ably supported by a truly outstanding Barry Keoghan, and Breaking Bad’s Kerry Condon, it’s the story of a friendship gone sour. Set on the mythical island of Insherin during the Irish civil war, which to the director’s credit is hardly mentioned, Farrell stars as a farmer, who’s described as both a nice guy, and as dull as ditch water, and Gleeson as a musician, and thinker. Lifelong friends, who suddenly find themselves estranged. And brilliantly, we’re never told why.

There are some truly shocking scenes in this. It certainly didn't go the way I was expecting it to go. Let’s just say that there were no happy endings here. There are actually no bad turns in this. The cast are universally brilliant. As already mentioned, Barry Keoghan gives perhaps one of the outstanding supporting performances ever. He actually puts both the leads in the shade. He really is that good, and Condon isn't too shabby either. And there are a host of others that are wonderful.

I’m a massive Beckett fan, and you could best describe this is Waiting For Godot for the modern audience. Which is obviously no bad thing.

This is an outstanding film, and one that everyone should endeavor to watch. In fact it’s so good that I’m going to watch it again right now.

Nothing to be done.

I watched this last night, at the pop up cinema in the Cock Hotel. I'd say it split the room - several people walked out and a couple of women near me as we left called it the most depressing film they'd ever seen. However, I thought (like Gers) that is was amazing. It's the kind of film that the word elegiac was invented for. It's incredibly beautiful with a subtle pallet of colours. The acting is uniformly extraordinary. Even the animals act well. :)

As Gers states, it's about a failed relationship but if you're an arty wank-fart like me, you can paint all sorts of layers of metaphor onto it. So it might just be about men and how they interact. Or about the desire for some sort of immortality set against the pleasure of just living in the moment. It's also probably about Ireland and the recent troubles (Inisherin is a fictional island off the west coast of Ireland but the word Inisherin literally means the Island of Ireland). The civil war is coming to an end on the mainland but on the island people aren't sure what each side are fighting for. Farrell and Gleeson's enmity builds, from trivial beginnings that those around them can't understand, to a monstrous, escalating nightmare, just as with the Troubles. Farrell's character Pádraic is a happy-go-lucky "nice guy" but the escalating madness takes him down a dark path, a path he intends to follow to the end:
"So, no, we won't call it quits. We'll call it the start."
"To our graves we're taking this"
"Some things there's no moving on from. And I think that's a good thing."

Leaving to one side whether I'm over-interpreting it or not, it's a masterpiece of cinema. Like life, it's funny, it's deeply melancholic, it's beautiful and it's over too soon. I want to see it again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 522 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 53  Next