THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:05 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 519 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 52  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:08 am 

Star Wars : the Last Jedi - with the notable exception of Rogue One last year most of what followed Star Wars has left me somewhere between indifferent and disappointed. To my surprise I found this outing to be spectacular, entertaining and at times edge of your seat stuff. The cobwebs and rustiness I so disliked in The Force Awakens have been blown away, leaving something slicker and with more bite - without losing a feel of the old Star Wars tradition. The Force is strong in this one

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:32 am 
The Last Jedi

Saw it a week ago (midnight screening on the 14th because I'm a proud SW nerd).

As a standalone film, it was a fun and entertaining way to spend a couple of hours. As a SW film? I hated it, and in my opinion one of the worst of the series. Terrible story line decisions, the humour was way over the top at times and too jarring, and some of the CG (at times) was awful and reminded me of how bad Justice League's CG was. The director/writer (Rian Johnson) has basically shit all over the interesting storylines set up in The Force Awakens, which should have been stretched over three movies. Instead, he's fucked all of them, leaving almost nothing for episode IX. There is literally nothing worthwhile left to provide anticipation for the final film in the trilogy.

3/10 (points only for some impressive VFX during the space battles).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:36 am 

3/10 is a poor return.

Never liked Star Wars. Far too infantile for my tastes. When my son was young we took him to the one that had Jar Jar Binks in it. Say no more.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:25 am 

FilthyDon wrote:
The Last Jedi

As a standalone film, it was a fun and entertaining way to spend a couple of hours. As a SW film? I hated it, and in my opinion one of the worst of the series. Terrible story line decisions, the humour was way over the top at times and too jarring, and some of the CG (at times) was awful and reminded me of how bad Justice League's CG was. The director/writer (Rian Johnson) has basically shit all over the interesting storylines set up in The Force Awakens, which should have been stretched over three movies. Instead, he's fucked all of them, leaving almost nothing for episode IX. There is literally nothing worthwhile left to provide anticipation for the final film in the trilogy.

What’s CG and VFX?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:36 am 

dons50 wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:
The Last Jedi

What’s CG and VFX?

https://www.google.co.uk/

Happy to help. 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:20 am 

keyser soze wrote:
dons50 wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:
The Last Jedi

What’s CG and VFX?

https://www.google.co.uk/

Happy to help. 8-)

:roll:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:30 am 
Gers wrote:
3/10 is a poor return.

Never liked Star Wars. Far too infantile for my tastes. When my son was young we took him to the one that had Jar Jar Binks in it. Say no more.

Please don't tell me that was your first 'taste' of Star Wars too? The prequel trilogy is basically seen as the ugly, unwanted bastard child that people generally forget until they're reminded of their past mistakes through old family photos.

dons50 wrote:
What’s CG and VFX?

CG = computer generated.
VFX = visual effects (any computer generated effects)
SFX = special effects (effects created using practical techniques without a computer e.g. pyrotechnics, puppets, models, miniatures etc...like the good old days)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:32 pm 

Judging Star Wars on the Jar Jar blinks film is like judging the Simpsons based on any series beyond 2003.

Apparently.

UTF

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:46 pm 

I'm old enough to have seen the originals when they came out. They were shite then, still shite now.

Overblown, badly acted, far too much special effects, terrible storyline, and just plain rubbish.

That apart, brilliant.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:05 pm 

Gers wrote:
I'm old enough to have seen the originals when they came out. They were shite then, still shite now.

Overblown, badly acted, far too much special effects, terrible storyline, and just plain rubbish.

That apart, brilliant.

This - Star Wars (all of 'em) are basically to film what Queen are to rock; loved by zillions but, really, overblow and just generally shite.

Happy Christmas y'all. 8-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 519 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 52  Next