THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:23 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 565 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 57  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:56 pm 

The Hateful Eight

I love Tarantino, he's made at least two of the greatest movies ever, but this was appalling.

The casual racism,  the racist jokes, the misogyny,  and not least the violence towards the only woman was inexcusable. Coupled with the fact that it was produced by Weinstein tells you everything you need to know.

Don't watch this.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:41 pm 
Gers wrote:
The Hateful Eight

I love Tarantino, he's made at least two of the greatest movies ever, but this was appalling.

The casual racism,  the racist jokes, the misogyny,  and not least the violence towards the only woman was inexcusable. Coupled with the fact that it was produced by Weinstein tells you everything you need to know.

Don't watch this.

I agree it wasn't his best film, but I don't see how you can describe racism/misogyny/violence in a film as inexcusable if its within the context of the story/film especially a film about post-civil war America in the late 19th Century when racism and misogyny was rife. Weinstein produced a lot of Tarantino's films and other films that aren't strong on these themes.

Ofcourse what Weinstein has been accused of is evil and despicable, but it doesn't mean he was a bad film producer - he's produced plenty of Oscar winning films that had nothing to do with things he has been accused of.

But yeah, Hateful Eight was a terrible movie for lots of reasons.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:18 am 

FilthyDon wrote:
Gers wrote:
The Hateful Eight

Don't watch this.

I agree it wasn't his best film, but I don't see how you can describe racism/misogyny/violence in a film as inexcusable if its within the context of the story/film especially a film about post-civil war America in the late 19th Century when racism and misogyny was rife. Weinstein produced a lot of Tarantino's films and other films that aren't strong on these themes.

Ofcourse what Weinstein has been accused of is evil and despicable, but it doesn't mean he was a bad film producer - he's produced plenty of Oscar winning films that had nothing to do with things he has been accused of.

But yeah, Hateful Eight was a terrible movie for lots of reasons.

I'll admit that hindsight gives you 20/20 vision, but when the credits rolled with 'A Weinstein Company Production', a sharp intake of breath was heard chez' Gers. And his relationship with Quentin bears a second look.

There were two incidents that I felt were completely unnecessary. When Kurt Russell elbowed Jennifer Jason Leigh in the face apropos of nothing, and one of her jokes regarding Samuel L Jackson being able to help another black character. Both gratuitous, and far removed from Tarantino's usual cartoon violence. Not required.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:15 pm 

The latest Mission Impossible film - just about as near to perfection as you can get for this genre

That said the air-con was faulty in our auditorium, suitably adding to the tension!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:20 pm 

American Valhalla

Iggy Pop makes an album with that twat from out of The Queens Of The Stone Age. I'm seriously going to give up on my music documentaries addiction.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:25 pm 
Oldfarmdons wrote:
The latest Mission Impossible film - just about as near to perfection as you can get for this genre

That said the air-con was faulty in our auditorium, suitably adding to the tension!

I enjoyed it, but anything Tom Cruise is in is always at least watchable. Still think the first M:I is the best one, but Fallout was still very entertaining.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:50 am 

A Prayer Before Dawn.

Fantastic film following Billy Moore - a scouse boxer, heroine addict, and petty criminal - who finds himself in a notorious Thai prison known as the Bangkok Hilton. Based on a true story.

It's an intense watch, but thoroughly enjoyable. Particularly as there is very little dialogue. Moore spoke no Thai and the other inmates spoke no English. The director has done a brilliant job of portraying the confusion and fear that Moore felt as someone in an unfamiliar, dangerous place with no idea what was happening most of the time.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:25 pm 

Extinction

Enjoyed this. A great twist that you don't see coming.

A basic sci-fi alien invasion movie, but as I say, a nice wee plot twist half way through. It's certainly not Citizen Kane, but a pleasant enough way to waste a Saturday evening.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:29 pm 

Ant-Man and the Wasp - hilarious funny, what you see is what you get Saturday morning cinema style romp

Having been disappointed by both Black Panther and Infinity War, this felt like a refreshing back to basics couple of hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:44 pm 

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Fuck me! They don't get any better, do they!

Without a shadow of a doubt this is one of the worst films I've ever watched half way through. It's utterly appalling. I've turned it off. What on earth folk see in these is beyond me.

I'm giving this a massive 0/10. And it's lucky to get nil. One can only hope this is the last one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 565 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 57  Next