THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:03 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 52  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:35 am 
Gers wrote:
Dunkirk

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. The age of the cast really brought home the sacrifices the generation that fought against the Nazis made. From the off, the lack of dialogue was something that actually enhanced the feel, rather than detracted. The matter of fact way the cast delt with the horrors around them spoke volumes.

Highly recommend.

That scene where the soldiers are in the water covered in oil, with the German bomber flying back for another pass, and the stranded pilot urging his other pilot mate to shoot the bomber down was incredible, especially with the soundtrack.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:38 am 
DippyDon wrote:
I enjoyed Solo, was nervous going into it because I hated The Last Jedi but I was pleasantly surprised. I thought Donald Glover really played Lando brilliantly, and I was so happy that Emilia Clarke did well, as after Terminator flopped it was probably her last chance to break into the true blockbuster genre of films.

Yeah I hated The Last Jedi too, but Solo was much better than I expected because my expectations were so low. Rian Johnson has ruined the sequel trilogy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:36 pm 

DippyDon wrote:
I enjoyed Solo, was nervous going into it because I hated The Last Jedi but I was pleasantly surprised. I thought Donald Glover really played Lando brilliantly, and I was so happy that Emilia Clarke did well, as after Terminator flopped it was probably her last chance to break into the true blockbuster genre of films.

That's Childish Gambino isn't it? :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:13 pm 

keyser soze wrote:
DippyDon wrote:

That's Childish Gambino isn't it? :shock:

You are correct sir

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:36 pm 

I've watched two brilliant documentaries this week.

Beware The Slenderman

Two 11yr old American girls stab their friend in order to appease an internet meme called The Slenderman. Fascinating how impressionable some kids are. It focuses on the court proceedings over whether they should be tried in juvenile court, or tried as adults. My only issue with this is the complete lack of concern over their victim. Who survived.
Just read in The Guardian that one of them got 30yrs, and the other 24 in a mental hospital.

The Wolfpack

Another cracker, and another true story. Which is about a family of seven kids in New York who's father never let them out the house. Their entire world view was shaped by movies, which they re-enact scene for scene. It's won a shit load of awards, and rightly so.

Both highly recommended.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:43 pm 
Hereditary

This film has had so much hype, but I was a little underwhelmed due to the huge expectations - the first hour or so is a little slow. Watchable enough, one or two decent surprising twists and the last 20 minutes or so are pretty tense. Better than your average horror film.

7/10

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:34 pm 

Jurassic Park Fallen Kingdom - far better that I had thought (feared) it might be, given you pretty much know what you are going to get before you go in. One genuinely heart rending moment that was beautifully shot for the big screen. Given how underwhelmed I have been with so many of the recent big franchise sequels this was two hours well spent

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:59 pm 
Oldfarmdons wrote:
One genuinely heart rending moment that was beautifully shot for the big screen.

Was that the bit with the dinosaur on the pier?

I nearly bawled like a baby at that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:19 pm 

FilthyDon wrote:
Oldfarmdons wrote:
One genuinely heart rending moment that was beautifully shot for the big screen.

Was that the bit with the dinosaur on the pier?

I nearly bawled like a baby at that.

Absolutely

Fantastic bit of cinema

:(

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:32 am 

Here To Be Heard: The Story Of The Slits

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Tells the story of the all female punk icons.
As with anything connected with The Slits, this was a triumph of style over content. They actually weren't very good, and I've always found Ari Up nothing less than an absolute nusance. Told from the viewpoint of the surviving members, which as you'd imagine varies depending on who's telling the story.
Always interesting to discover what ex-members of any band are doing now, and this threw up a surprise. Palmolive has become a God basher, who told us that God was probably a punk rocker. Tessa Pollet looks to be living in near poverty in West London. Ari died of cancer. And Viv Albertine has become a successful author, and is still as beautiful as she ever was.
It's my birthday in a couple of weeks, and I was quite literally about to order this on DVD when I saw that it was on Sky. £16:99 saved. I wouldn't want to watch it again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 52  Next