THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:02 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 52  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:52 pm 
This. The scenes within the shell of the boat wee harrowing.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:26 am 

I thought it was a good film but doesn’t have much of any replay value. There isn’t a first third and second act structure it just winds through. Doesn’t make it a bad film but I didn’t “enjoy it”... it was just a well shot and well put together film. Great performances and very realistic.

Apparently.

UTF

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:13 am 

I thought it was quite a remarkable piece actually. Captured the utter stupidity of the whole venture. From showing that the British will join the end of any queue, even when being bombed and machine-gunned, to the stoically matter of fact one-upmanship of the dogfights.

Years ago, when working in St Albans,  I actually met a guy who'd been there. I remember him telling me about the German Luftwaffe strafing the beach, just as in the film, and how he'd watch the sand rising where the machine-guns hit. He must've been just a kid at the time.

Could you imagine sending today's youth out to do a similar job... "Did that German just give me a dirty look?"

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:25 pm 

Ingrid Goes West - dark tale of social media climbers in the LA suburbs

A cautionary tale. Beautifully shot, quite uncomfortable in places, its impossible not to be drawn to Ingrid despite her obvious imperfections

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:57 pm 

A couple this weekend:

Solo - a Star Wars Story. Cracking ripping yarn giving us the origins of Han Solo, Chewbacca and the Millennium Falcon. Space age heist movie with great performances from Woody Harrelson and Paul Bettany, spectacular action scenes with no single mention of The Force. Whilst it's had a lukewarm reception generally I though this was fab, really breaks free from the normal Star Wars conventions

Coco - Sunday night family DVD in the Old Farm. Heartwarming, beautifully animated tale around dias de los muertos, we loved this on the big screen and this doesn't lose much transferring to small screen

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:49 am 

A really old film and very eccentric but hugely entertaining. The legendary Vincent Price's 100th film, 'The Abominable Dr Phibes'. Occasionally makes an appearance on BBC, I think. Hocum, but very watchable!

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:09 pm 

I enjoyed Solo, was nervous going into it because I hated The Last Jedi but I was pleasantly surprised. I thought Donald Glover really played Lando brilliantly, and I was so happy that Emilia Clarke did well, as after Terminator flopped it was probably her last chance to break into the true blockbuster genre of films.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:10 pm 

Generation Grime

Not my genre. Not my genre at all, but these kids are great. I don't get the music, but I do like a music doc', and this is a good one.

They speak really fast, but they're erudite, and engaged with society. Perhaps more MP's should come from this catchment, rather than Eton, then inner London wouldn't be in the shit state it's in now.

It's got one of the best insights into modern music I've ever heard. "We're good at making music, coz' we see it like a computer game".

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:42 pm 

It

Genuinely enjoyed this. An exceptionally well made film, and in these days a well made film in the technical sense is a rarity. The horror came as somewhat of a surprise. Thought it was a kids film, it isn't. If you enjoyed Stranger Things, this is the film for you.

7/10

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:34 am 
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

2 hours flew by. For once, the CG-dinos looked good, the SFX/VFX were fantastic, and I genuinely almost shed a tear at one point. Too many faults to give it more praise than that though and the dialogue between the characters sounded like it was written by a primary school student. Entertaining enough, but still not a patch on the original JP.

7/10

Going to see 'Hereditary' later..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 52  Next