THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:18 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 510 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 51  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:26 pm 

Kempstondons6 wrote:
The Green Mile, starring Tom Hanks, really enjoyed it.

It's excellent isn't it? The book is even better. You almost want to (or perhaps do) cry when 'you know what' happens.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:22 pm 

Geostorm - cheesy, corny but it does't take itself too seriously and is all the better for it. Nice mix of spy mystery, sic-fi and disaster film. It shouldn't work, it nearly doesn't, but I laughed a lot and had a great time

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:47 pm 

The Girl On The Train.

It's chick-lit and you need to suspend belief, because there are a few 'fuck sake - that's pushing it too far' moments. But, it's well acted, it's tight and well put together. I liked it. Not as much as my missus liked it, but it's good. A decent thriller.

It's different from most big budget films in that the writer and the main leads are all women. So it's positive about women, young and old. Most of the blokes in the story (i.e. 3 tops) are douche-bags. This came out before the Harvey Wankstain scandal. But it's pretty telling.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:41 am 

keyser soze wrote:
The Girl On The Train.

It's chick-lit and you need to suspend belief, because there are a few 'fuck sake - that's pushing it too far' moments. But, it's well acted, it's tight and well put together. I liked it. Not as much as my missus liked it, but it's good. A decent thriller.

It's different from most big budget films in that the writer and the main leads are all women. So it's positive about women, young and old. Most of the blokes in the story (i.e. 3 tops) are douche-bags. This came out before the Harvey Wankstain scandal. But it's pretty telling.

Read the book when it came out. It's set in England, but isn't the film set in America?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:02 am 

Gers wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
The Girl On The Train.

Read the book when it came out. It's set in England, but isn't the film set in America?

Yes - upstate New York. Picket fences, the lot.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:52 am 

Location: .... In SG19 ..... APL Champion 2017/18 Betting Champion 2019/20 Power of 3 Champion 2017/18 + 19/20
Oldfarmdons wrote:
Blade Runner 2049 - how do you match an era defining original? Mostly you can't of course, and this is no exception.
There are some very clever plot lines.
On the plus side this is grand cinema of the highest order, the cinematography is breathtaking and the set designs and cityscapes at times draw dropping.
Still a must see film, it was fantastically enjoyable

FilthyDon wrote:
Blade Runner 2049 is bloody fantastic, probably my favourite film of the year so far, particularly enjoyed the visuals and the soundtrack.
Denis Villeneuve (the director) has to be one of the best in the film industry now - He’s rumoured to be in the running for the next Bond film, which would be awesome.
9/10

Th/is/ese

21/22 26 11 _9 89 LM 3rd

05/06 12 14 20 50 DW 22nd R
22/23 11 12 23 45 lm/MJ 21st R
17/18 11 12 23 45 rn/DM 23rd R
15/16 _9 12 25 39 KR 23rd R

LS: A rocky start, that's all it is.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:15 pm 

A Bad Moms Christmas. I was expecting it to be a pile of shite and it exceeded expectations by being more so. If you only watch one film this year, make sure it’s not this one.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:32 am 

'Two Sevens Clash, Dread Meets Punk Rockers'

Don Letts runs us through his involvement with The Slits, The Clash et al.

Shot by Don on his trusty super 8 back in the day. Anyone with a passing interest in good music will know this story. Some good footage that even I haven't seen. Only begins to get good when him and John Lydon visit Jamaica, and you see where PIL took their inspiration from. It's always good to see Lydon in full stare mode, and there's certainly plenty of that.

Talking about managing The Slits... "They fucking terrified me".

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:15 am 

Murder on the Orient Express - good fun, particularly if like me you are old enough to remember the Albert Finney and Peter Ustinov interpretations. Fabulous cinematography and great cameos from the Hollywood Big Dogs, Brannagh and his unfeasible moustache hold court wonderfully throughout

With no claims on originality, this is a very enjoyable couple of hours spent indulging a nostalgic and stylish view of the past

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:10 am 

keyser soze wrote:
The Girl On The Train.

I saw this at the cinema and thought it was pretty decent, passable as a one off viewing. Don’t get the bad reviews it got. Nowhere near great but as I said a good watch on the telly if it’s on.

Apparently.

UTF

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 510 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 51  Next