THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:27 pm 

Philadelphia - Finally plucked up the courage to watch it again. Tore me apart the first time. The happiest sad, and saddest happy ending ever.
One of the all time greatest movies. Wept like a baby when I saw it the first time years ago.
The "La Mamma Morta" scene alone is worth the watch. Genuinely spellbinding stuff.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:20 pm 

Went and saw Indiana Jones and the dial of destiny...

Better than I was expecting, out of the sequels, it's the best one for me, followed by Last Crusade, Temple of Doom and that fourth film which we deny ever existed!

This film not to be confused by Indiana Jones trying to get his broadband fixed...the dial-up of destiny.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:52 pm 

Supervisor number 5 wrote:

Better than I was expecting, out of the sequels, it's the best one for me, followed by Last Crusade, Temple of Doom and that fourth film which we deny ever existed!

This film not to be confused by Indiana Jones trying to get his broadband fixed...the dial-up of destiny.

Temple of Doom is a prequel 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:22 pm 
Supervisor number 5 wrote:

I just cannot fathom how someone can rate Dial of Destiny higher than any of the original trilogy of films. I disliked it immensely.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:13 pm 
Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1

More of the same really, 2.5 hours flew by. Hayley Atwell stole the show. Some good set pieces but didn't think it was as tense as previous M:I films, although I think they've peaked already in previous films.

Soundtrack was quality too, reminded me of Hans Zimmer's stuff in The Dark Knight trilogy.

Just have to wait a whole year now for part 2!

8/10

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:07 am 

Thought Mission Impossible was fantastic. Didn't feel quite as quick into the action as the last two or 3, but even then I'm contradicting myself as we had two tense scenarios before we even got to the opening titles!!

Hayley Atwell is, and I say this in the least Lieutenant Dan way of creepily expressong lust possible, in my top 3 all time celebrity crushes. I was over the moon when I found out she was cast, and she stole the show for me. We know what Cruise does and he does it superbly. We know what Atwell can do, but fuck me does she do it well.

I'll go easier on the bits I didn't find quite as gripping for the first act especially - this is a two parter. As a film alone it definitely works, but we've not concluded the story yet.
The final half an hour or so was the most intense stuff I'd seen in the cinema since, well, Mission Impossible: Fallout. Which is my favourite action movie of all time.

I don't want to spoil anything but please see this on the biggest screen you can get to. Imax, Super screen whatever. The soundtrack as mentioned before is wonderful, the sound design is breathtaking and the visuals, whilst having Dutch angles galore, was so fucking good.

I seriously don't think I breathed properly for the final half an hour and left with a dry mouth and white knuckles. It. Is. Intense.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:30 am 

Luther: Fallen Sun (2023) Netflix
If you like the TV series you'll like this film, as ever some of it stretches credulity but Idris Elba plays Luther so well the short comings can be forgiven and is an enjoyable diversion for two hours.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:29 am 

MKAylesburyDon wrote:
Luther: Fallen Sun (2023) Netflix
If you like the TV series you'll like this film, as ever some of it stretches credulity but Idris Elba plays Luther so well the short comings can be forgiven and is an enjoyable diversion for two hours.

I thought this was utter toilet. "Stretches credulity"barely covers it. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:55 am 

Barbie

From the moment the opening turned into an homage to the opening of 2001: A Space Odyssey, I knew I was going to enjoy this. Fun all round - both silly fun and clever fun. It looks brilliant (literally, in Barbie Land) and the sets and props excel. Margot Robbie is excellent (and stunningly beautiful obvs. Freakishly good looking). Ryan Gosling is a great Ken. Especially in the last reel (no spoilers - but I want all his clothes, especially the multi-coloured "I am Kenough" hoodie. See here! https://creations.mattel.com/en-gb/products/barbie-the-movie-i-am-kenough-unisex-hoodie-hyn77). Even Mr. Comedy Cancer (Will Ferrell) doesn't stink the place up, as the CEO of Mattel. If you can't tell, I'm not old Will's biggest fan.

Greta Gerwig (Lady Bird) has done a great job as director and co-writer. A fun and funny blockbuster, with a bit of wit and intelligence behind it.

I assume it was made in the UK? Because it's chock full of familiar British actors and comedians such as Emma Mackey, Sharon Rooney, Kingsley Ben-Adir, Connor Swindells, Jamie Demetriou (Stath Lets Flats) and Asim Chaudhry (People Just Do Nothing). So you can have a fun time going "where do I know her from?".

8/10

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:41 pm 

Oppenheimer

For full effect we saw this in IMAX at the Stadium Odeon then went back and saw it again the week after finding it just as good - if not better - on second viewing

Having endured what felt like the most relentless trailer campaign ever it's hard to know where to start. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but what I got was an extremely powerful, carefully woven and original story comprising three timelines - the build up to the Manhattan Project and Hiroshima/Nagasaki then two further sub plots with one - helpfully - shot in back and white. It's an intricate and deliberate tale depicting some of the key events in Robert Oppenheimer's life, tackling monumental ethical challenges head on yet deftly avoiding taking any obvious position - Littlest OFD and I both came out feeling that our views had been reenforced, despite holding quite opposite opinions

The acting talent on show is formidable, despite a tailor made role for Matt Damon the real show stealer is Robert Downey Jr. - if you've seen it you will know what I mean, best supporting actor nom in waiting there. Like all great films you walk out wondering just how they managed such an original and unexpected take in such an impactful way

Funny old year at the cinema but for me Oppenheimer is the standout film so far. There is screen alchemy on show here, from what feels like the sepia pages of history comes an edge of your seat film you will be hard pressed to forget

I might even see it a third time...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next