THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:05 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:20 am 

Thought I would start this as it sometimes gives you a good idea of somewhere new to go visit.

Went to Oxford this week for a day out, haven’t been (not just for a day out) since my daughter was in a push chair so probably 30 years ago. Have to say we go to Cambridge fairly regularly, whether it’s because I know Cambridge quite well I don’t know but I definitely prefer Cambridge. Oxford seems much bigger, more spread out and a whole lot more traffic, no where near as many bikes and just doesn’t have the same feel for me.

They had just opened a brand new shopping centre the day we went which probably explains why it was so busy, horrendous queues at the park and ride which incidentally isn’t a patch on Cambridge park and ride, no loos, hardly any under cover shelters. The shopping centre which unfortunately I was dragged into just for a ‘quick ‘ look round has a rather nice balcony area on the roof with lots of different eateries. The view though, well shit to be honest, you may as well have it overlooking any street in Bedford as pretty much all you can see is into some pretty rough back gardens of some pretty rough houses.

So all in all we enjoyed our day, visited a few Morse pubs, liked the the old part which is my thing but wouldn’t rush to return in all honesty. Much prefer Cambridge.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:06 pm 

Kempstondons6 wrote:
Thought I would start this as it sometimes gives you a good idea of somewhere new to go visit.

Went to Oxford this week for a day out, haven’t been (not just for a day out) since my daughter was in a push chair so probably 30 years ago. Have to say we go to Cambridge fairly regularly, whether it’s because I know Cambridge quite well I don’t know but I definitely prefer Cambridge. Oxford seems much bigger, more spread out and a whole lot more traffic, no where near as many bikes and just doesn’t have the same feel for me.

They had just opened a brand new shopping centre the day we went which probably explains why it was so busy, horrendous queues at the park and ride which incidentally isn’t a patch on Cambridge park and ride, no loos, hardly any under cover shelters. The shopping centre which unfortunately I was dragged into just for a ‘quick ‘ look round has a rather nice balcony area on the roof with lots of different eateries. The view though, well shit to be honest, you may as well have it overlooking any street in Bedford as pretty much all you can see is into some pretty rough back gardens of some pretty rough houses.

So all in all we enjoyed our day, visited a few Morse pubs, liked the the old part which is my thing but wouldn’t rush to return in all honesty. Much prefer Cambridge.

Yeah, might take a punt on that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:12 pm 

Oxford is truly a city of two halves, the old town area is wonderful, very picturesque charming and full of character, the rest of it is just a sprawling mass of soulless housing and run down suburbs.

It’s trading on its past reputation.....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:42 pm 

Scribble wrote:
Oxford is truly a city of two halves, the old town area is wonderful, very picturesque charming and full of character, the rest of it is just a sprawling mass of soulless housing and run down suburbs.

It’s trading on its past reputation.....

My company has a contract in Blackbird Leys. Lucky to get out with your dignity some days.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:48 pm 

I visit both Oxbridge and Camford very regularly. I love them both. I prefer Oxford, but I'm biased because my youngest lad studies there.

I tend to be far more drunk when in Cambridge. Which is nice...

And Blackbird Leys is shite, but not as bad as it was. No worse than the Lakes, or Marsh Farm (Luton), or... or... etc. But I'm a left wing man of the people, not a fascist. ;) :P

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:58 pm 

Blackbird Leys

The only place I know where third floor flats have bars on the windows. I was doing a survey in one and enquired as to why they were there.

The answer was astonishing, a nearby block had second and third floor flats broken into, by a gang with a set of high reach triple ladders

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:34 pm 

I much prefer Cambridge for a good day out, but, like Keyser (although other lot), I may be biased because son is at Uni there.
Beer festival a good time to go ..... hit, burp...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:41 pm 

One has a son at Oxford, another has one at Cambridge.

What a well connected forum we have. :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:59 pm 

dons50 wrote:
One has a son at Oxford, another has one at Cambridge.

What a well connected forum we have. :D

It's been an eye-opener. I thought it was just bullshit. But it's a world within a world.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:21 pm 

Truth is we have a good number of world-class educated, articulate, bright and charming youth within our fan base. And they still support the Dons, which is the biggest surprise of all :lol: