THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:26 pm 

England's World Cup chances

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:50 pm 

The Barclays Premier League. It's good, but nowhere near as good as is always reported.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:52 pm 

Can't argue with The Beatles. Massive pile of shit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:09 pm 

DippyDon wrote:
The Barclays Premier League. It's good, but nowhere near as good as is always reported.

Really? Which is better?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:34 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
I agree about the Beatles being overrated, and that sales / viewing figures are proof of popularity but not necessarily proof of quality.
The Beatles wrote some very catchy songs and were decent, but not great, musicians and singers.
They were no better than many other groups throughout the years and so I don't get why it's become compulsory to love them and say they were, undoubtedly, the greatest group ever. And anyone who thinks otherwise is automatically wrong.
Their legacy and musical ability definitely belongs in the overrated category.

Their musical ability might do but their legacy doesn't

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:56 pm 

I don't get them, but it's all in the context of when they emerged. Writing and playing on your own stuff was unheard of.

I've Got A Feeling is the greatest rock vocal of all time. Still shit though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:41 pm 

Saying the Beatles are over rated do any mean they aren’t good. Just means they’re over rated. In my opinion.

At the time, great I’m sure. But looking back most of it sounds like generic 60s pop fodder.
Rather listen to Stones, Zepplin, The Who, and Pink Floyd.

Apparently.

UTF

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:46 pm 

Beardhidesboy64 wrote:
donmentor wrote:
Overrated by whom ? The hundreds of millions of fans they have had all these years from all over the World ?

You also a big fan of justin bieber? The twilight movies? X factor? All those hugely popular examples of quality

I would argue that whilst Justin Bieber? The Twilight movies? X factor? Are hugely popular they aren't actually rated highly (dare I say even by people who enjoy them) therefore they can't be overrated.

The most over rated thing I can think of is laying on a beach on a hot sunny day, absolutely bores the shit out of me yet people spend all year slogging their guts out to do it for two weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:13 pm 

Beardhidesboy64 wrote:
donmentor wrote:
Overrated by whom ? The hundreds of millions of fans they have had all these years from all over the World ?

You also a big fan of justin bieber? The twilight movies? X factor? All those hugely popular examples of quality

I am not in the least interested in so called Pop, Never have been. Nor am I impressed by all these crap 'cult' rubbish.

I am merely objecting to the mis-application of the term overrated.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:26 pm 
In terms of musical ability, the Beatles were individually average and collectively pretty good. In terms of songwriting ability I’ve still never heard a back catalogue to compare to it and that would be true whenever they were working. When you look at the era they were working in, what they did was astounding. Add in the way they approached the studio and invented the rule book and you’ve got something that I’d definitely argue could not be described as overrated.

Go listen to “If I Fell”. Lyrically it’s junk. Musically it’s insanely good - 50 years on, nothing about that song still makes sense except for that it works, when it genuinely shouldn’t. And that’s before they started getting properly creative. Listen to the first four bars (possibly eight, depending on how you count). It’s just crazy that a band that young could write that.

Anyway, all opinions and that, but on this one, you are of course, fundamentally wrong if you disagree with me.

Last edited by Brando on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next