THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Telly
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:07 am 

Gers wrote:
Bodies

What a massive disappointment this turned out to be. Flagged as Netflix’s big autumn show, and came highly recommended by The Guardian no less, I was immensely frustrated with this.

It was a great premise. The same body appearing in the same London alley in four different time periods. The 1890’s, 1940’s, the present day, and the 2050’s. Then we have four separate detectives trying to solve the case, before the inevitable time travel nonsense takes hold, and all four timelines start to coalesce. Apparently it’s based on a graphic novel, which I’m usually in favour of, but this just didn’t do it for me.

The cast was so-so I guess. None of them were great, and when you add the usually wonderful Stephen Graham into the mix as the main protagonist, well! It shows that adding someone with his gravatas to something won’t always guarantee success.

It was okay, but just that, okay. The usual signifier for me when watching a miniseries is whether I want to immediately watch the next episode. I didn’t with this.

I mean, Stephen Graham was more of the antagonist in this wasn’t he? It’s a bit of a conundrum because of the type of character he plays but I never felt like he was the main character.

I thoroughly enjoyed it though. Unlike Gers I was hooked at the end of each episode and the only reason I had a break in between two of the episodes was because my partner wanted to watch strictly. Perhaps that’s because sci fi/fantasy things are usually my favourite genre and I went into it knowing absolutely nothing other than Stephen Graham was in it and it was meant to be highly rated.

Some twists were readable, some weren’t and I found myself floored more often than not. The ending had me scratching my head in a ‘Whats happened there then, I need to know why that happened’ kind of way. I really liked Kyle Seller’s character (Hillinghead) and I love a good time travel with consequences story too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:23 am 

Im with Gers on Bodies, I wanted to like it so much and thought it had great potential but it just never got going. The time travel stuff was confusing and there were large plot holes. For instance, the shot up pub in the 40's that somehow nearly 100 years in the future a picture and a wall with scratches in it were still intact despite the aforementioned shoot up and the thoroughly modern decoration.

I generally like most things Stephen Graham is in but even he was a bit Meh in this. 3/10

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:34 am 

Magpie wrote:
Im with Gers on Bodies, I wanted to like it so much and thought it had great potential but it just never got going. The time travel stuff was confusing and there were large plot holes. For instance, the shot up pub in the 40's that somehow nearly 100 years in the future a picture and a wall with scratches in it were still intact despite the aforementioned shoot up and the thoroughly modern decoration.

I generally like most things Stephen Graham is in but even he was a bit Meh in this. 3/10

The scratches were on the picture frame.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:01 am 

It was okay, but nothing more. I didn't find it difficult to follow, I just wasn't all that enamoured with it.

I didn't have a particularly good week last week, so perhaps I was projecting my pain onto poor old Stephen Graham.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:13 am 

DippyDon wrote:
Magpie wrote:

So they were. Point remains that 100 years since they picture was put there seems highly unlikely it would till be there particularly after a nuclear blast only 30 years previously. Nonetheless, just didnt land for me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:18 am 

Magpie wrote:
DippyDon wrote:
Magpie wrote:

So they were. Point remains that 100 years since they picture was put there seems highly unlikely it would till be there particularly after a nuclear blast only 30 years previously. Nonetheless, just didnt land for me.

Evidently, and that's fine (and I'm just nitpicking your post at this point so forgive me) but finding that secret wasn't in the future setting but the present day. Possibly still unlikely that it would be the same frame 82 years later after WW2 and the shoot up, but they did set the bar up to have a tightly connected history with the local police force so I can understand them keeping the original frames and photos.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:23 am 

DippyDon wrote:
Magpie wrote:
DippyDon wrote:
Magpie wrote:

Evidently, and that's fine (and I'm just nitpicking your post at this point so forgive me) but finding that secret wasn't in the future setting but the present day. Possibly still unlikely that it would be the same frame 82 years later after WW2 and the shoot up, but they did set the bar up to have a tightly connected history with the local police force so I can understand them keeping the original frames and photos.

See, Confusing! why was she hiding her identity then if she had come back from the future? Cant believe am even writing that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:04 am 

The Burning Girls

Before we start, this bloody thing never seemed to end. There's only six episodes, but it went on so long that it felt as if it was never going to reach a conclusion. But that minor gripe aside, it wasn't bad.

It's a ghost story, metaphorically and literally. A new vicar arrives in a stereotypically English village as a replacement for the previous incumbent who took his own life. Ably played by Samantha Morton, who incidentally looked brilliant, simple black suit and Doc Martens combo, she's instantly catapulted into the personal politics of the village. If there's one thing that lets this down then it's Rupert Graves as the local landowner. There's absolutely no way would folk let him talk to them in the way he does. It's overplayed, and Graves just isn't that good at it. But the rest of the cast more than make up for him. Whomever cast this should take immense pride in themselves. Creepy verger, check. Mental prisoner on a mad killing spree, check. White haired old matriarch,check. Spooky teenager, check. They all looked fantastic.

It started off as a ghost story. The eponymous girls were Protestant martyrs burned to death in the sixteenth century, who've been haunting the village church ever since. However, towards the end someone obviously forgot about the supernatural as it quite simply became a crime drama.There were some pretty clever twists that you certainly didn’t see coming. As telly went it was okay, but could’ve benefited from making it’s mind up what it wanted to be.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:28 am 

I won’t be anywhere near as detailed as Gers usually is, but I watched all 8 episodes of Kin on BBC Iplayer this past weekend and absolutely loved it.

Basic premise is that a Dublin crime family (including Daredevil’s Charlie Cox and Game of Thrones’ Aiden Gillen) through the fault of one of their own are forced into a bloodthirsty war with a the main drug Lord of they area (GoT/Harry Potter’s Ciarán Hinds. It really hits home on how actions in this criminal world affect the entire family, even the most innocent of them.

A great cast, and a plot that well and truly gripped me right from the first episode.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:25 pm 

I quite liked last night's '24 hours in police custody'. As usual shot just down the road in Luton and its environs.
Obviously carefully edited but nevertheless very interesting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next