THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:16 am 

...has died aged 75.

I guess many younger people won't even have heard of them. And many of my age and older might dismiss them as some sort of novelty act or whatever. But that's so wide of the truth it's unreal. As was/is often the case, creative work made by women has to fight hard to gain it's proper place and that's certainly true of The Shangri-Las and their lead singer Mary Weiss. At the peak of their success, the main consumers of records in the USA was teenage girls and The Shangri-Las made records by girls, for girls. But they did it in the context of an industry owned and run by middle-aged men, with men of all ages claiming credit for things they didn't actually invent (I'm looking at you, Shadow Morton). And they did it brilliantly.

Hugely influential (go see their wiki page, all you punk/indie types) and glorious pop fun.

RIP Mary.

Last edited by keyser soze on Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:21 am 

The Leader of the Pack…..all time classic.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:24 am 

keyser soze wrote:
...has died aged 75.

I guess many younger people won't even have heard of them. And many of my age and older might dismiss them as some sort of novelty act or whatever. But that's so wide of the truth it's unreal. As was/is often the case, creative work made by women has to fight hard to gain it's proper place and that's certainly true of The Shangri-Las and their lead singer Mary Weiss. At the peak of their success, the main consumers of records in the USA was teenage girls and The Shangri-Las made records by girls, for girls. But they did it in the context of an industry owned and run by middle-aged men, with men of all ages claiming credit for things they didn't deserve actually invent (I'm looking at you, Shadow Morton). And they did it brilliantly.

Hugely influential (go see their wiki page, all you punk/indie types) and glorious pop fun.

RIP Mary.

The Mary Chain freely admit to being in thrall to them and other girl groups of a similar vintage, listen to Just Like Honey if any further evidence required. The Shangri-Las were a brilliant proposition, and obviously The Leader Of The Pack is an outstanding record. A complete miniseries in two and a half minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:29 am 

WellDon wrote:

Absolutely - made a huge impact on me as a pre-teen, still makes my hairs stand on end when I hear it

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:43 am 

Oldfarmdons wrote:
WellDon wrote:

Absolutely - made a huge impact on me as a pre-teen, still makes my hairs stand on end when I hear it

I can recall it on the local cafe jukebox and at youth club, brings back memories.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:26 am 

Oldfarmdons wrote:
WellDon wrote:

Just spent an enjoyable hour watching SoulTrain videos, nostalgia.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:09 pm 

It all depends on different music tastes, of course, but the only 'Leader of the Pack' song I could vaguely remember was one that sounded like the corny side of the 60's - more like the 50's sound. I listened to the Shangri-la song and, yep, that's the one. Not my type of music, really.

Sad to see yet another person from that era has died though, of course.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:24 pm 

Any chance of getting leader of the pack played prior to the match today. It was from my young days and a classic.