THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
 Post subject: Re: Telly
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 9:42 am 

keyser soze wrote:
dons50 wrote:
Second series of Responder was pretty good. Martin Freeman’s become a very good actor.

He's great in everything he does. But I gave up on The Responder half way through the first series. It was far too bleak for me. I like pink fluffy clouds, rainbows and unicorns.

Yeah it was bleak but just about worth it for us...6/10

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 9:43 am 

Oldfarmdons wrote:
We've been watching Ripley on Netflix

Having loved the original Talented Mr Ripley 25 years ago I was surprised to see this made into a series format. After four episodes I'm gently disengaging with it, but so far its been wonderful. Shot in black and white the camerawork has been an absolute delight, sumptuous even - which makes it such a shame it's not produced for the big screen, the idea of experiencing this in an auditorium is quite a thought

It's largely shot in an Italian town called Atrani, which was also heavily used last year's Equaliser 3, so it all feels pleasantly familiar - I've always wanted to visit the Amalfi coastline and this production has just made that urge stronger, some holiday planning needed I think. With Matt Damon, Jude Law and Gwyneth Paltrow quite a hard act to follow we've been impressed with Andrew Scott (who can do little wrong in this house) - oozing sociopath out of every pore - although he does feel a little old for the role perhaps?

Fingers crossed we'll get through all of the episodes before/if it runs out of steam, but we've been impressed so far

The Amalfi coast is stunning. The scenery, the towns, the food, everything. Just don't drive... that's far too stressful. Base yourself in one of the towns and catch ferries to the others.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 6:40 pm 

Doctor who -

Wow what a thoroughly captivating episode!

Huge huge hopes for this doctor and assistant combo, great chemistry and great performance!

One of the most captivating and engrossing episodes of live licensed television.

Just wow!

Anyone else enjoy it as much as i did?

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 6:50 pm 

Beardhidesboy64 wrote:
Doctor who -

Huge huge hopes for this doctor and assistant combo, great chemistry and great performance!

One of the most captivating and engrossing episodes of live licensed television.

Just wow!

I watched the first two episodes of this series. It was eyeball melting rubbish and I swore I'd never watch it again.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 7:44 pm 

Beardhidesboy64 wrote:
Doctor who -

Just wow!

Haven't watched it for a couple of years but did watch tonight's... and thoroughly enjoyed it even though a) the Doctor was hardly in it and b) I didn't understand it at all.

Bloody good though. :D

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 8:28 am 

The new Rebus reincarnation on BBC. Rankin's namesake as lead actor is a good pick and Get Cafferty is a big player from the books that has been cast well

They make a note more of his family life than the books but doesn't ruin it

The books are my favourite series so this had to be good and it was ...8/10

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 5:56 am 

Lolla: The Story Of Lollapalooza

If self-entitled young Americans gurning into the camera whilst shouting “Hell yeah” is your thing, then this is the show for you.

Produced by MTV, so safe to say it's a tad sanitised, this three part docuseries chronicles the rise of the touring festival founded by the godfather of American alt-rock, Jane’s Addction’s Perry Farrell. He’s a cool guy Farrell, and it’s a testament to him that he’s stuck to his principles almost to this day in regards to his original vision for this travelling circus. At one point he’s offered $1m for the rights to the name, and tells them (we learn that the offer came from Rick Rubin) to fuck off. However, after the festival began to struggle under the global assault that is Coachella, he bowed to the inevitable and went into partnership with festival super producers C3 Presents. Rather than The Butthole Surfers firing shotguns into the audience (I shit you not. They really did this), we now have Billie Eilish jumping onto the stage in a perspex lift infront of hundreds of thousands of punters.

The early days are quite the eyeopener. Looking at footage filmed on the opening day, we’re confronted by opening act Nine Inch Nails losing their temper as their rudimentary tech fails in the wake of one of the hottest days on record. If nothing else it’s interesting to see the evolution of what we now consider global rock bands, playing at 1pm basically on the back of a truck. There’s no argument that if it weren’t for Lollapalozza we wouldn’t have Pearl Jam, Rage Against The Machine, Green Day, and a host of other 2nd division pains in the arse that passes for music. But we can forgive them that if only for championing rap in the face of Tipper Gore and the rest of the PMRC idiots calling for it to be banned.

I’m not a particular fan of Nirvana one way or the other, but when offered the headline slot just as they were on the verge of being the biggest band in the world, Cobain turned them down, stating the the audience had changed from the early days of the festival, and he didn’t want to play in front of the sort of guys that used to beat him up at high school. Now there was a man who stuck to his principles. Even if those principles eventually lead to his death.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 3:07 pm 

Leighton wrote:
The new Rebus reincarnation on BBC. Rankin's namesake as lead actor is a good pick and Get Cafferty is a big player from the books that has been cast well

They make a note more of his family life than the books but doesn't ruin it

The books are my favourite series so this had to be good and it was ...8/10

It was an excellent series but some of the plot was as predictable as Line of Duty (and similar in many ways). Excellent watch nonetheless.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:26 pm 

House of the Dragon Season 2 premiered overnight... and I'm interested in the perspective of those that haven't read the accompanying book and don't know what's to come.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30