THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 11:43 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 339 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 1:33 pm 

Bill wrote:
Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Gers wrote:
In this morning's Daily Mail election coverage it turns out that Starmer 'Still Hasn't Convinced British Voters'

I don't think he has tbh. The only reason voters are flocking to Labour is because they aren't the Conservatives.

He's effectively winning by default.

But if you compare the actual voting figures from this set of local elections and the recent by-elections to the previous ones, voters aren't flocking to Labour, the Tory voters are just not voting.
Just comparing Blackpool South

At the general election

Conservatives 16245
Labour 12557
Libdems 1008
Greens 563
Brexit Party 2008

2024 By Election
Conservatives 3218
Labour 10825
Libdems 387
Greens 368
Reform Party 3101

The outlier in Blackpool's low turnout no-one is really talking about is that a lot of people won't have been motivated to vote for a new MP who will only be there for 6 months tops. So many people will have seen it as a waste of time as they get to vote again for the proper election shortly.
For example Brecon and Radnorshire was the last by election prior to the 2019 general election and it had a turnout of 59.7% but in the GE it was 74.5%

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 7:20 pm 

MKAylesburyDon wrote:
Bill wrote:
Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Gers wrote:
In this morning's Daily Mail election coverage it turns out that Starmer 'Still Hasn't Convinced British Voters'

I don't think he has tbh. The only reason voters are flocking to Labour is because they aren't the Conservatives.

He's effectively winning by default.

But if you compare the actual voting figures from this set of local elections and the recent by-elections to the previous ones, voters aren't flocking to Labour, the Tory voters are just not voting.
Just comparing Blackpool South

At the general election

Conservatives 16245
Labour 12557
Libdems 1008
Greens 563
Brexit Party 2008

2024 By Election
Conservatives 3218
Labour 10825
Libdems 387
Greens 368
Reform Party 3101

The outlier in Blackpool's low turnout no-one is really talking about is that a lot of people won't have been motivated to vote for a new MP who will only be there for 6 months tops. So many people will have seen it as a waste of time as they get to vote again for the proper election shortly.
For example Brecon and Radnorshire was the last by election prior to the 2019 general election and it had a turnout of 59.7% but in the GE it was 74.5%

I agree but if you look at any of the other by-election's since Sunak came to power, it is the same story. The Tory voters have stayed away rather than switch parties.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 8:22 pm 

Probably for the best if Labour just give up now and accept the fact that no one's voting them.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 8:41 pm 

Tories are in for a complete hiding at the election whenever it happens, with the likes of Mordaunt, Shapps, Gove, Hunt, Cleverly in danger of losing their seats, they will be decimated.

All this talk of a hung parliament is just Conservative wishful thinking, it’s not going to happen, come polling day the people will vote in their droves and very few voting blue

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 9:16 pm 

Scribble wrote:
Tories are in for a complete hiding at the election whenever it happens, with the likes of Mordaunt, Shapps, Gove, Hunt, Cleverly in danger of losing their seats, they will be decimated.

All this talk of a hung parliament is just Conservative wishful thinking, it’s not going to happen, come polling day the people will vote in their droves and very few voting blue

Christ, I hope so.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 9:49 pm 

Gers wrote:
Probably for the best if Labour just give up now and accept the fact that no one's voting them.

Nobody said that either.

"Shut the fuck up, you sausage!"

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 4:43 am 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Gers wrote:

Nobody said that either.

Doesn't matter. The Mail have declared old Kier's party more or less irrelevant this morning, with our biggest threat to democracy (The Conservative Party) now being The Greens and pro-Gaza independents.

Oh well. It was nice while it lasted. A man can dream.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 5:16 am 

It rained in Crawley last night and they are labour......

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 7:36 am 

Gers wrote:
Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Gers wrote:

Nobody said that either.

Doesn't matter. The Mail have declared old Kier's party more or less irrelevant this morning, with our biggest threat to democracy (The Conservative Party) now being The Greens and pro-Gaza independents.

The irony being that by publishing the headline 'enemies of the people' (back in 2016 I think) when the government acted illegally and were told that by the supreme court , The Mail was subverting the rule of law on which democracy is based. I think 'visceral loathing' sums up my opinion of that pile of do do.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 8:23 am 

Aliramone wrote:
Gers wrote:
Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Gers wrote:

Nobody said that either.

The irony being that by publishing the headline 'enemies of the people' (back in 2016 I think) when the government acted illegally and were told that by the supreme court , The Mail was subverting the rule of law on which democracy is based. I think 'visceral loathing' sums up my opinion of that pile of do do.

They don't care. Almost their entire online version this morning is dedicated to last night's met gala. Indeed their lead story is the size of Kim Kardashian's waist. In the midst on the continuing shit show that is Netanyahu's basically genocidal war, they would have you believe that come the next election, the Tories will win, folk are interested in the size if some reality telly star, and that no one voted for Labour last Thursday.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 339 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next