THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
 Post subject: Re: Telly
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:53 pm 

Leighton wrote:
dons50 wrote:
Magpie wrote:
The Intruder: Hes watching from within

A channel 5 documentary about a rapist who terrorised communities in Bedfordshire in the early 80's, who became known as The Fox.

For a start, this is not a very nice story and isnt meant for entertainment purposes due to the nature of the content but I will explain why it was interesting to me in a bit.

There is nothing remarkable in the format, lots of talking heads and fictionalised cut away shots. What was interesting for me was the village I lived in was flooded with police and search teams on three separate occasions as part of the manhunt. I mean absolutely flooded with armed and non armed officers, search teams, dogs and handlers, helicopters, the works. There were woods, fields and many many places one could hide all around us so I guess there must have been some intelligence or belief he was there for them to come en masse three times.

As a kid it was all very exciting but I guess we didnt really understand the gravity. Hell, groups of us used to go up the hills and woods searching for gods sake. I think it went on for several months or it certainly felt like it at the time. They finally caught him and he got a long sentence.

I dont really recommend it as such due to the content but it really brought back that time for me when our little village became part of the horror story.

Anyone who was living locally at the time will have memories of this. My wife was living in Leighton Buzzard when this was happening. She speaks of the young women being pretty scared at the time.

We live a couple streets away from where he struck (before we moved here)

Won't be scaring my wife by watching this

My wife and I also were in accomodation blocks at uni where a murder happened (summer holiday Open university student did it).....the actual room was nicknamed the 'murder room'

Ended watching part of this with my wife

I should have listened to myself and not down it!! She couldn't sleep!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:39 am 

Fallout

Its a Netflix show based on a computer game I never played. I cant tell you what the plot is because I never really understood but it involved an actor and well healed community at some point in I think the 60's. a nuclear holocaust, a severed head, a distopian community hundreds of years later a lawless world outside of that where everyone seems to be in the wildwest and some highly unusual characters.

I have absolutely not a clue what it was about, what happened, when it happened (the timeline, if there even is one it was undecipherable to me), what the point was?

Biggest pile of shite Ive ever wasted several hours of my life on.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:26 pm 

Magpie wrote:
Fallout

Its a Netflix show based on a computer game I never played. I cant tell you what the plot is because I never really understood but it involved an actor and well healed community at some point in I think the 60's. a nuclear holocaust, a severed head, a distopian community hundreds of years later a lawless world outside of that where everyone seems to be in the wildwest and some highly unusual characters.

I have absolutely not a clue what it was about, what happened, when it happened (the timeline, if there even is one it was undecipherable to me), what the point was?

Out of 10?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:31 pm 

Leighton wrote:
Magpie wrote:
Fallout

Out of 10?

1, and thats generous

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:37 pm 

Magpie wrote:
Leighton wrote:
Magpie wrote:
Fallout

Out of 10?

1, and thats generous

I wonder if you have to have played the game to enjoy it, because the majority of reviews for the series are really positive.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:08 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
Magpie wrote:
Leighton wrote:
Magpie wrote:
Fallout

Out of 10?

1, and thats generous

I wonder if you have to have played the game to enjoy it, because the majority of reviews for the series are really positive.

I've never played a video game in my entire life and I'm three episodes in and really enjoying it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:19 pm 

Gers wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
Magpie wrote:
Leighton wrote:
Magpie wrote:
Fallout

Out of 10?

1, and thats generous

I've never played a video game in my entire life and I'm three episodes in and really enjoying it.

You are doing well, I have watched all 8 and dont really have a clue what is was all about. The first episode was set in or around the 60's I think, Is that right? Then the timelines jump hugely forward but some of the original characters remain?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:58 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
Magpie wrote:
Leighton wrote:
Magpie wrote:
Fallout

Out of 10?

1, and thats generous

I've found this on IMDB as a pattern

If a film is Sci Fi or based on a computer game IMDB overrates it

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:48 am 

Magpie wrote:
Fallout

I absolutely adored this. Just as with The Last Of Us, you don’t need to be a gamer to get it. In fact I had no idea it was a game before I read this. Unlike yourself I understood it fully, however it really only began to pick up somewhere around halfway, episode four, when main protagonist Lucy goes from a gosh-darn 50’s teenager to a motherfucker, fuck you killer.

And speaking of Lucy. The plot. Opening in 50’s America, at the height of the cold war, we see washed-up movie star Cooper Howard now reduced to appearing at children's birthday parties after being accused of being a commie. While at one of these parties the bomb drops, and we fast forward 200 odd years or so to post-apocalyptic wasteland, populated by various total mental cases. Cannibals, guys dressed head to toe in armor calling themselves The Brotherhood, assorted freaks, and not least ghouls. Which brings us back to Cooper Howard. Now reduced to an almost fleshless skull, wandering the wasteland using his skills with a gun as some sort of bounty hunter. When the bombs fell, those who could afford it rushed to their fallout shelters, supplied by the villains of the piece Vault-Tec, obviously a shadowy origination as these things always seem to have. Getting to the severed head. It has a piece of tec’ in it which enables fusion. Which is why everyone wants to find it.

It’s brilliant. The 50’s idyll of the vaults is perfectly realized. All golly gee wiz, morning neighbor, sort of thing. There’s obviously going to be a second series as this finishes with Lucy and The Ghoul heading into the sunset together.

The cast are all pretty good, with Walton Goggins as Howard/The Ghoul the outstanding player. Kyle MacLachlan pops up in the first and last episodes, which is never a bad thing, and Ella Purnell as Lucy is excellent. All in all I’d highly recommend this.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28