THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Liam Manning*
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:17 am 

I only watched the second half, but it was an enjoyable game, albeit a bit feisty. West Ham weren't the least bit happy. Getting back to Manning, give a man the right tools and he'll get the job done.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:28 am 

It was just unfortunate that his 'right tools' here were injured. I felt his sacking was a little harsh. I think when his injured players got fit again he would have pulled us round.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:31 am 

donmentor wrote:
It was just unfortunate that his 'right tools' here were injured. I felt his sacking was a little harsh. I think when his injured players got fit again he would have pulled us round.

Of course his sacking was harsh. It was typical football short term, knee jerk, action.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:16 pm 

Good coach? Not till he shaves off the silly little remnant of his fringe.

You’re going bald Liam! Accept it!! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:31 pm 

keyser soze wrote:

This. But he strikes me as a "I can't grow a beard" guy.

I still don't think it was harsh. I hated that it had to happen but it did. It wasn't short termism either. He got sacked with us second bottom, one win in eleven and 15 points from 20 games. If that isn't dismissal form, I don't know what is.
Also struggling to remember all the players he had out injured. 6 of his starting XI in his final game played the previous season in a 3rd place finish. You can accept a slow start and a drop off to mid table with the departures but we were a shambles. He was sacked too late, not too early.

Not withstanding, he's clearly a good manager and we let him down. He made mistakes too, subs, lineups etc were questionable but he's a lower league manager. I knew he'd always do well and get another job and I'm glad he has.. I'm a huge fan and hope he keeps building

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:01 am 

Alby39 wrote:
keyser soze wrote:

I still don't think it was harsh. I hated that it had to happen but it did. It wasn't short termism either. He got sacked with us second bottom, one win in eleven and 15 points from 20 games. If that isn't dismissal form, I don't know what is.
Also struggling to remember all the players he had out injured. 6 of his starting XI in his final game played the previous season in a 3rd place finish. You can accept a slow start and a drop off to mid table with the departures but we were a shambles. He was sacked too late, not too early.

Not withstanding, he's clearly a good manager and we let him down. He made mistakes too, subs, lineups etc were questionable but he's a lower league manager. I knew he'd always do well and get another job and I'm glad he has.. I'm a huge fan and hope he keeps building

Very good post Alby.

Manning's performance is so hard to judge. He walked into a Russel Martin trained and built team and took us to third. Many of us have no doubt that Russ was significantly important in assembling that squad, maybe not through scouting but identifying who and what he wanted. Yet 12 months later the rhetoric became 'they're not his players', he got 'lumped with those signings'. I struggle to believe that.

I think Manning is a good coach. 21/22 may be my favourite ever season supporting Dons. At times I felt he took some of our squad to another level, but also at other times I felt they lost the fundamentals they were coached under Russ. We lost control vs Oxford, Wycombe and Sheff Weds which ultimately cost us, but then again the freedom allowed to some allowed us to thrive.

I think he was weak in 2022, which is slightly fair enough he was still young and new and had his first real summer in England. He's learnt a lot since, I think he will do well. But it was 100% right to let him go and as Alby said, maybe we left it too late. The change in formation, the use of certain individuals and the weak mentality in the squad was in some way his fault and that let us down.

I do wish him the best though, it was sad it ended the way it did. I think he will do well. I still think Russ will have a better career

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:23 am 

Alby39 wrote:
keyser soze wrote:

We were worried about saving that season and not looking beyond. I’d say that’s short termist.

I can’t see how it is a good long term decision to sack a good manager because we might fail for one season.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:21 am 

dons50 wrote:
Alby39 wrote:
keyser soze wrote:

We were worried about saving that season and not looking beyond. I’d say that’s short termist.

I can’t see how it is a good long term decision to sack a good manager because we might fail for one season.

I'm not 100% sure I agree it wasn't looking beyond. As we went through the 21/22 we had a lot less control of games and relied on magical moments from a truly outstanding squad. In the summer Manning either selected bad targets from the recruitment process or he couldn't work with the players we were finding him. It also seemed very much like we recruited for his chosen formation before he quickly gave up. This disconnect between recruitment, selection and performance was not sustainable long term. It could have been a freak summer, it could have been signs to come. But it was getting worse by the week and we completely lost our identity very quickly - that concerned me more than the short term results.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:52 am 

dons50 wrote:
Alby39 wrote:
keyser soze wrote:

Still banging this drum? Making this argument several times a season, for the last 15 years, doesn't make you right. A football club is not the same as a typical PLC.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:06 am 

keyser soze wrote:
dons50 wrote:
Alby39 wrote:
keyser soze wrote:

Still banging this drum? Making this argument several times a season, for the last 15 years, doesn't make you right. A football club is not the same as a typical PLC.

I may or may not be right. I think I am and that’s why it’s my opinion. I’ll continue to give that opinion.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next