THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 3:47 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Russell Martin*
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:07 pm 

A 99th minute winner against Cardiff today.

Neither team had done the double in a season before until Russ' Swansea achieved it last season. He has done it again today.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:40 pm 

cornerdon26 wrote:
A 99th minute winner against Cardiff today.

Neither team had done the double in a season before until Russ' Swansea achieved it last season. He has done it again today.

That will buy him a bit of time.
He seems a real marmite character at Swansea with both players and fans. I genuinely have no idea where his career is going to go to be honest.
Seeing what Luke Williams is doing at Notts County does make you wonder.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 7:14 pm 

Being strongly linked with the Southampton job. Interesting to see if he's so quick to accept this like he was when Swansea came knocking.

Always seemed a decent manager for us, but I do find it slightly odd that he keeps being linked with jobs despite achieving nothing but mid-table finishes in his managerial career.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 9:06 pm 

DonnieAndMooie wrote:
Being strongly linked with the Southampton job. Interesting to see if he's so quick to accept this like he was when Swansea came knocking.

Always seemed a decent manager for us, but I do find it slightly odd that he keeps being linked with jobs despite achieving nothing but mid-table finishes in his managerial career.

Budget restraints at Swansea and a circus of a board setup means he's got a real glass ceiling. Them getting to the playoffs and especially higher is a pipe dream. What he's shown with what he has shows he's capable what a higher level, and with a budget Southanpton would offer who pride themselves on good football and talented youngsters, it makes total sense.
I could see his head being turned eventually. He won't have wanted to leave mid season given how much regret he has over the in how leaving us unfolded - and from what I'm aware he was stalling on a new contract until Februaty what I heard around Xmas time. He still hasn't signed it, from what I see.. though it also appears he hasn't been offered one so maybe the picture has changed.

He seemed to stand up tall in the struggles mid season - backed himself and his staff against the circus upstairs. I don't think he has long left.

- Graham Alexander, October 2023

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 9:57 am 

Wonder how that move would go down in his beloved Brighton? I know the hatred isn’t on the level of Pompey v Scumton, but still…

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 10:50 am 

Wouldn't be anything, there's no real rivalry there and he's never represented Brighton

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 3:56 pm 
According to The Athletic it seems he's all be certain to leave Swansea now. It feels good to know he doesn't have any loyalty to them either.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 4:09 pm 

I really don't like him, think he's a deplorable c*nt but he's shown them enough loyalty, the club is a circus and the owners/shareholders have sold him massively short. I think he was always bound to leave as soon as a real offer came in that was clearly a step up.

The only thing he's done this time is managed to learn from the departure here and go in a way where he looks like a good guy and not a prick.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 6:11 pm 

Alby39 wrote:
I really don't like him, think he's a deplorable c*nt but he's shown them enough loyalty, the club is a circus and the owners/shareholders have sold him massively short. I think he was always bound to leave as soon as a real offer came in that was clearly a step up.

The only thing he's done this time is managed to learn from the departure here and go in a way where he looks like a good guy and not a prick.

Alan Nixon implied in a tweet that Martin’s agent or reps had been hard at work making the move happen. If he does well at Saints expect him to pull the same move on them.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 6:28 pm 

Managers get sacked almost at the drop of a hat. Not sure it’s reasonable to expect loyalty from them in return.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next