THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:16 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dele Alli - Everton
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:05 am 

However the payments have been structured between Everton and Spurs it’s still legally a transfer of a player’s registration and we are entitled to (what I was reliably informed about 6 years ago) is 18% of the profit Spurs make on the deal. That would be £5M initial fee plus whatever was paid in performance related bonuses (appearances, goals England caps etc.), so could be closer to £6M than £5M in total.

Obviously, we will now only get the money in stages due to the appearance based nature of his Everton transfer but that would always have been the case anyway, I believe. Clubs pay for players in instalments the majority of the time, so it would be perfectly reasonable to structure the percentage due to us as a sell-on fee on the same basis.

The possibility that was raised of Everton playing him every single one of the 18 games this season and selling him before he triggered the first instalment would have been considered in the deal Spurs did with Everton. There would be some sort of structure where Spurs got a massive percentage of that deal, but again we would be entitled to our share of that. The principle of the sell-on clause doesn’t change.

I’m sure we’ll get some visibility in the coming days (hours, even) of how the deal could potentially reach £40M but I think that would take Dele captaining Everton to Champions League success and winning the World Cup with England!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:06 am 
Makes sense Camden, plenty of Spurs fans on Twitter claiming it's partially been done this way to ensure we don't get our cut. However, as MKAylesburyDon said, if it was that easy to get out of paying sell on percentages, then we'd have done that with O'Riley and clubs would be doing it all the time.

So assuming we've already had £6m from Tottenham, if Dele makes his 20 appearances and Everton pay Spurs the first £10m, we're getting 18% of the £4m difference (£720k), and then 18% of any further payments Everton make? Is that right?

I agree it's unlikely Spurs will ever get as much as £40m, but we could probably assume they'll eventually get £20m-£25m. So all in all, we stand to make potentially another £4.5m from this over the next couple of years.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:57 am 

So presumably...

£10m - £720K
£20m - £2.52m
£30m - £4.32m
£40m - £6.12m

Maybe not as black and white as that but we will never know!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:05 am 
BuckDon wrote:
So presumably...

£10m - £720K
£20m - £2.52m
£30m - £4.32m
£40m - £6.12m

Would be nice if Sweeting confirms in the presser today that we are actually still getting the sell-on percentages even though it's structured this way and initially being a free. I keep reading conflicting info.

Lots of Tottenham fans gloating about how they've bypassed the clause, be nice to throw it back in their faces.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:10 am 

Filthier wrote:
BuckDon wrote:
So presumably...

£10m - £720K
£20m - £2.52m
£30m - £4.32m
£40m - £6.12m

Would be nice if Sweeting confirms in the presser today that we are actually still getting the sell-on percentages even though it's structured this way and initially being a free. I keep reading conflicting info.

Lots of Tottenham fans gloating about how they've bypassed the clause, be nice to throw it back in their faces.

Is that Tottenham fans on Twitter, with a player as their profile picture? They'll have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.

Clubs wouldn't be able to get out of a sell on fee. Almost all deals are structured in a similar way to how this one has been. It just seems to have made more news because its Dele Alli and him leaving Spurs is a big deal.

For example, when someone goes for £50mil, it is never, ever £50mil up front. Its staggered payments and based on individual and team performances. The only way this one is slightly different is because there is no up front cost at all.

Sell on fees would be redundant if it was only based on the initial fee.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:11 am 

Camdenite wrote:
I’m sure we’ll get some visibility in the coming days (hours, even) of how the deal could potentially reach £40M but I think that would take Dele captaining Everton to Champions League success and winning the World Cup with England!

There's no way the bonuses are based on impossible achievements. It will be on appearances and goals.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:16 am 

Don Direction wrote:
Camdenite wrote:

There's no way the bonuses are based on impossible achievements. It will be on appearances and goals.

I've got a feeling it could just be appearances. The reason is has been done like this is due to Everton not being able to pay a fee this season. Starting payments at 20 games means they do not have to pay anything this season, even if Dele plays every minute of every game.

If there is a clause based on goals, this could mean they have to pay something this season, unless its a unachievable target like 30 goals, which Spurs wouldn't have agreed to considering he's a midfielder. Everton wouldn't be able to take a risk on a goals scored clause, just in case it was hit this season.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:51 pm 

Filthier wrote:
Makes sense Camden, plenty of Spurs fans on Twitter claiming it's partially been done this way to ensure we don't get our cut. However, as MKAylesburyDon said, if it was that easy to get out of paying sell on percentages, then we'd have done that with O'Riley and clubs would be doing it all the time.

So assuming we've already had £6m from Tottenham, if Dele makes his 20 appearances and Everton pay Spurs the first £10m, we're getting 18% of the £4m difference (£720k), and then 18% of any further payments Everton make? Is that right?

I agree it's unlikely Spurs will ever get as much as £40m, but we could probably assume they'll eventually get £20m-£25m. So all in all, we stand to make potentially another £4.5m from this over the next couple of years.

Yep. Also if Spurs had a sell-on fee of 20% of profit, and Everton sell him for £20mil profit in four years time, then £4mil goes to Spurs and then of that £4mil we get another £720k. Same on for the next future transfers until either (1) one of the clubs higher up the food chain stops getting sell-on percentages, or (2) we cash in on our clause and waive future fees for a smaller lump sum.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:32 pm 

Don Direction wrote:
Camdenite wrote:

I’d say Spurs would be prudent enough to give themselves enough protection if Dele is a resounding success. Yes, the majority of the total potential fee will be based on achievable appearances and goals but the top end of the deal would sit those “ridiculous” clauses.

We did similar when we sold Spurs a 19yr old kid leaving League 1 after barely a season’s worth of football under his belt.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:48 pm 
Some verified spurs journo on Twitter has said he understands we're still entitled to a percentage of the deal

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next