THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:24 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Matty Sorinola*
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:00 am 
Currently top of the Belgian first tier with his new side Union SG, they won 4-0 yesterday. Sorinola hasn't played much of a part though, used as a sub in the last 5-10 minutes of most of his games so far. He could be playing Champions League football next year.

Post subject: Re: Matty Sorinola*
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:51 am 

Thanks for this information. I really rated him, he improved so much when he was with us for such a slight person he was very strong in the tackle and fast. I have a feeling he will feature in the ones who got away in a few years.
But not our fault as we tried our best to keep him.I hope he appreciates us picking him up when discarded by other clubs.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:51 am 

He has still only appeared as a substitute so far but he came on at the weekend and got an 85th minute winner, it was a bloody lovely goal in fact.

https://twitter.com/UnionStGilloise/sta ... 07745?s=20

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:40 am 

Thanks for that link.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:23 pm 
Still limited in his appearances, generally comes on for a few minutes in the second half. Union SG are still top of the league, 4 points clear of second.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:20 pm 

Injured from mid December, Matty came on for the last 25 minutes in the victory against second placed Antwerp on the 5th February. He missed the most recent match against struggling St Truiden, in which Union SG surprisingly got beaten 1-0 at home - only their 4th loss of the season. Still 7 points clear at the top, they look certain to take a points advantage into the championship play-off where the top four play each other home and away to decide the title.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:31 am 

He's only played 149 minutes this season, all of them coming off the bench. However Union St Gilloise came top of the league this season after 34 games and now enter the 'Championship round'. The top 4 games, which also included Anderlect, Club Brugge and Antwerp start a mini league which is quite odd. Their points tallied are halved from the regular season and play each other twice, the team who finish top after these games are crowned Belgian Champions.

What an experience this will have been for Matty. Moved to a different country, played in a squad with 16 different nationalities and competed at a pretty high level, played in front of 15,000+ crowds and there is a realistic chance for him to be in a Champions League squad next season, all whilst being watched by Brighton

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:08 pm 
According to Football League World, Swansea are interested in signing him :roll:

I know people joke that snake only goes after our players/ex-players, but they really need to broaden their horizons.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:42 pm 

Filthier wrote:
According to Football League World, Swansea are interested in signing him :roll:

I know people joke that snake only goes after our players/ex-players, but they really need to broaden their horizons.

It just shows that his contacts in the game aren't all that in the grand schemes of player recruitment.

Regarding Sorinola, I genuinely believe he would have been better of staying with us for one more year. All our fullbacks under Manning have done really well and I've no doubt he would have been a big success in the purpose based approach Manning has implemented. Guess we will never know but I always think regular 1st team football trumps limited minutes in terms of player development regardless of playing level.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:52 am 

Stuart James
@stujames75 16m
Swansea City are set to sign Matthew Sorinola on a season-long loan from the Belgium club Royale Union Saint-Gilloise. Sorinola, 21, is a left-wing back. No option to buy.

You really can't make it up anymore :lol: