THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:42 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:30 am 

The club has been on the receiving end of some right pelters of late but I think that result/performance yesterday could be the catalyst for a change in fortunes.
If Neilson had lost the dressing room then that team would of folded yesterday when the chips were down.
Amazing result in the circumstances, let's kick on and get behind the players/manager regardless of agenda/opinion on the current state of affairs at the club.
3 points at Oxford and we're positively midtable looking up

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:51 am 

all credit to the players and neilson for a fantastic result.

however, their fight and work ethic has never really been in question for me. it’s tactical nous and team cohesion that is the problem, and grinding out a (superb) result with nine men doesn’t really relate to the kind of performances that are needed week in, week out, 11 v 11 to be successful.

hopefully it’s at least a boost psychologically though.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:19 pm 

The thing I'm hoping is that 'connection' between players/ staff and fans has started. Watching gilbey encouraging reaction from us was excellent, as was the constant support from our fans! Especially after chuks was thrown to the floor in the box!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:38 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
rosie47 wrote:
all credit to the players and neilson for a fantastic result.

however, their fight and work ethic has never really been in question for me. it’s tactical nous and team cohesion that is the problem, and grinding out a (superb) result with nine men doesn’t really relate to the kind of performances that are needed week in, week out, 11 v 11 to be successful.

hopefully it’s at least a boost psychologically though.

Good post. I also worry that the psychological benefit may not outweigh the physical output we exerted when it comes to the Oxford game. Mentally they'll be on a real high, but physically they'll be at their lowest and asking them to do it again 2 days later is a big ask.
I posted this elsewhere (but it's so good I'll post it twice ;)): It might be a tired performance tomorrow and I think that would be perfectly understandable after what they gave for the cause yesterday. I don't think it would be proof that it was a false dawn though. Just down to understandable physical exhaustion. Another game quite soon after such a result is good to keep momentum going, but I think it's coming too soon for them to recover physically from such a demanding task.
I think we need to wait until the AFC and Northampton games before seeing if there's been any corner turned.
But hopefully I'm wrong and they somehow manage to deliver another great performance tomorrow.

It’s true that the eight outfield players who played yesterday will be pretty tired, I expect Robbie will make a few changes to try to freshen it up a bit, I wouldn’t be suprised if Chuks was on the bench tomorrow.
The likes of Upson, Ariyibi, Agard will probably start, I’d be happy to come away from Oxford with a point, I’m not expecting the miracle of yesterday

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:26 pm 

And Cisse has just returned from injury. Is he match fit enough to do two full games two days apart?

And if so, where will he play after that Posh performance?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:35 pm 
Of course it can be played down. Up until yesterday we had only won 1 in 13 games. One win doesn't change everything, our club is still in a proper state and you can't suddenly say everything is fine because we beat Peterborough 1-0.

Saying that, I hope it is the catalyst for a huge improvement. We really need to be winning more than we are drawing/losing from this point on if we are to have any remote sniff of the playoffs. Beating Peterborough is nothing if we then lose to an out of form Oxford.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:47 pm 

Is Nesbitt injured?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:50 pm 
Don Direction wrote:
Is Nesbitt injured?

Yes, him and Brittain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:42 pm 

FilthyDon wrote:
Of course it can be played down. Up until yesterday we had only won 1 in 13 games. One win doesn't change everything, our club is still in a proper state and you can't suddenly say everything is fine because we beat Peterborough 1-0.

Saying that, I hope it is the catalyst for a huge improvement. We really need to be winning more than we are drawing/losing from this point on if we are to have any remote sniff of the playoffs.
Beating Peterborough is nothing if we then lose to an out of form Oxford.

I get your overall point, but don't agree with the last bit. That win over Peterborough was epic, and a defeat against Oxford won't change that. In fact, if I was offered Peterborough equalising in last minute but us beating Oxford, so getting 4 pts from the two games, or holding on to beat them with 9 men, but then losing to Oxford, so only getting 3 pts from the two games, I would choose every time to hold on to that lead against the Pish. That will remain in our memories for a lifetime. After that, I see the Oxford game as a bonus match. If we can get something from it, great, but just so pleased we could hold on and pull off such a great win.

This (mostly). Football isn't just about 3 points and calmly watching it from the home sofa doesn't do it justice. I will take whatever Oxford result (within reason), but I expect a similar performance and another win with 11 men against the pub team.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:15 pm 
ReturnofMoo wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:

Saying that, I hope it is the catalyst for a huge improvement. We really need to be winning more than we are drawing/losing from this point on if we are to have any remote sniff of the playoffs.
Beating Peterborough is nothing if we then lose to an out of form Oxford.

I get your overall point, but don't agree with the last bit. That win over Peterborough was epic, and a defeat against Oxford won't change that. In fact, if I was offered Peterborough equalising in last minute but us beating Oxford, so getting 4 pts from the two games, or holding on to beat them with 9 men, but then losing to Oxford, so only getting 3 pts from the two games, I would choose every time to hold on to that lead against the Pish. That will remain in our memories for a lifetime. After that, I see the Oxford game as a bonus match. If we can get something from it, great, but just so pleased we could hold on and pull off such a great win.

This (mostly). Football isn't just about 3 points and calmly watching it from the home sofa doesn't do it justice. I will take whatever Oxford result (within reason), but I expect a similar performance and another win with 11 men against the pub team.

That's fine if all you care about is the occasional entertaining game. But I want to see us progress. A hard fought victory with 9 men is great entertainment, but doesn't change our season. If it spurs us on then great, but if we lose to Oxford, it means nothing in terms of our season and our form will still be atrocious. Why does it matter where I watch the game from? I'll be at the game tomorrow, just like I am for most away games (barring the Scunthorpe, Donny and Rotherham games I missed), but even if I wasn't I still care about the result and the club. You aren't any more of a fan for physically being in the stadium, you should know that by now.