THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 2:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Dylan Asonganyi~
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 11:16 pm 

Released by Oxford having barely featured since joining on a free from us...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57244733

(I couldn't open his previous thread?)

Post subject: Re: Dylan Asonganyi
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 8:46 am 

I feel the same about Dylan Asonganyi as I do about Giorgio Rasulo. Even when he's 45 and working in Sainsbury's, I'll maintain that 'he's just got something about him' and is worth a one-year contract extension.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 7:11 am 

Toby Carvery wrote:
I feel the same about Dylan Asonganyi as I do about Giorgio Rasulo. Even when he's 45 and working in Sainsbury's, I'll maintain that 'he's just got something about him' and is worth a one-year contract extension.

:lol: I’ll always maintain that the performance I saw him (Dylan) give away at Barnet in an FA Youth Cup tie is the very best I’ve ever seen from a Dons youngster outside of the first team. He was absolutely superb and showed me a style you don’t see from kids his age as a striker; the ability to play with his back to goal and bring others into play. Even very good strikers don’t often learn that until their mid 20’s. I said at the time, I’d not seen a striker “use his arse” the way Dylan did since watching Dalglish as a kid. I stand by that. :D

His finishing looked razor sharp, his movement excellent and that ability to hold the ball and find a teammate under pressure top drawer. “No way he won’t make it”, I thought. Once he did get a chance in the first team, I seem to remember him being asked to chase a lot of balls over the top, and we never seemed to play into his feet. I guess he was too young, and too small at the time, to be trusted with a target man role, but one day someone is going to reap the benefits of what he has about his game. May take a couple of years or so at National League level or below, but I’m sure he’ll make a career for himself long term.

Most young strikers learn the game as they mature, but that’s countered by losing that little edge of pace for many. He was different; he had the sort of know-how of someone who’d played for a good few years at just seventeen. Now needs to go and get games under his belt under a manager that trusts him with the responsibility.

Post subject: Re: Dylan Asonganyi~
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:02 am 

99% sure he was playing for Cranfield Utd yesterday. Came on as a sub against Wellingborough Whitworth in a 3-0 win.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:11 pm 

Camdenite wrote:
Toby Carvery wrote:

:lol: I’ll always maintain that the performance I saw him (Dylan) give away at Barnet in an FA Youth Cup tie is the very best I’ve ever seen from a Dons youngster outside of the first team. He was absolutely superb and showed me a style you don’t see from kids his age as a striker; the ability to play with his back to goal and bring others into play. Even very good strikers don’t often learn that until their mid 20’s. I said at the time, I’d not seen a striker “use his arse” the way Dylan did since watching Dalglish as a kid. I stand by that. :D

His finishing looked razor sharp, his movement excellent and that ability to hold the ball and find a teammate under pressure top drawer. “No way he won’t make it”, I thought. Once he did get a chance in the first team, I seem to remember him being asked to chase a lot of balls over the top, and we never seemed to play into his feet. I guess he was too young, and too small at the time, to be trusted with a target man role, but one day someone is going to reap the benefits of what he has about his game. May take a couple of years or so at National League level or below, but I’m sure he’ll make a career for himself long term.

Most young strikers learn the game as they mature, but that’s countered by losing that little edge of pace for many. He was different; he had the sort of know-how of someone who’d played for a good few years at just seventeen. Now needs to go and get games under his belt under a manager that trusts him with the responsibility.

I only saw him play for the first team and I dont recall him showing anything at all but as you say, he was mostly tasked with chasing lost causes at that point and it wasnt something he was particularly good at. Did you see him play much in the youth set up or was it just a single game that you saw him?

I only ask as it reminds me of a young lad that came to play with a team I was in many years ago. We played south mids league at the time and got the obligatory 'expenses' for playing which at the time amounted to about £40 a game and I never really contradicted the narrative that I was being payed to play.

Anyway, this young lad rocked up and he had been released by Luton or Coventry or someone like that and in training, on a good surface and friendly fire only he was truly top drawer, looked amazing and run us ragged.

First game we played I can only assume his less able twin brother showed up as he was hopeless, could hardly kick a ball and had two left feet, neither of which was his preferred foot. Back to training and again he tore it up. Next match, old twinnie turned up and was awful. Rinse and repeat for half a season before he was let go.

Theres a lot of players who really really should make it and have all the tools to do so but for reasons unknown cant seem to unlock them when it matters and fall by the wayside. I suspect Dylan may well fall into this category.