THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Dave Martin*
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:32 pm 
Made his debut today for Millwall, got a clean sheet and signed a new deal until the end of the season.

Always good to see him do well, one of the nicest guys in football, and showed how much this club meant to him when he shed a tear in his last game against Walsall.

Nicholls is a good replacement, but would still have been happy keeping Martin here.

Post subject: Re: Dave Martin
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:47 am 

You’re not allowed to think he was great. He was shite.

Apparently.

UTF

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:56 pm 

As a 2nd/3rd choice GK in a mid-table championship team, how will his salary compare to if he were the 1st choice GK in a mid-table L1 team ?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:18 am 

Both Martin and Downing in the news then, I will never forget their contribution to family fun day - squaring up to eachother on the pitch, I think KR lost his job the next day. Family fun day was a bit more fun this year :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:58 pm 

I love Martin. He was one of our best players in the Championship, up there with Murphy and pre-Chelsea McFadzean.

I hope he does well, he's a lovely person, hates AFC and was one of the better keepers in League One under us. Obviously Nicholls is younger and a very good goalkeeper at this level too, but I would've liked him to stay. Although, OTD did say that the decision for him to leave was mutual.

Post subject: Re: Dave Martin*
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:46 am 

What’s become of “glue feet” David Martin, destined, in his own mind for greater things, he seems to have dissappeared off the face of the earth at Millwall, and looks to have settled in nicely in the Sietsma role down at the Den.
To my knowledge he’s played just 1 game since leaving us a season and a quarter a go.
Shame really, a top keeper on his day, and one of the best shot stoppers, woeful at crosses, but would do a good job for a League 1 side, surely he would rather be playing than rotting in the stands.
Ok he must be getting a few quid a week......but your playing days are too short to be watching every week.
At the time people were saying Nicholls would never step up to the plate, I wonder how many have quietly changed their minds.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:06 am 

I’m still not convinced overly by Nicholls.

Good goalkeeper and a better keeper now than Martin is, but he really isn’t all that. Heard someone at Cambridge say he’s a better keeper than Martin “ever was” for us - which is a funny one.

Don’t get how Martin leaving meant he was “in his own mind destined for greater things” or whatever either. His contract ran out and Neilson chose to get rid.

Apparently.

UTF

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:10 am 
Site Admin

Have changed his status from ‘*’ to ‘~’.

Post subject: Re: Dave Martin~
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:16 am 

Martin has left and we’ve all moved on. We have a very good replacement in Nicholls but let’s not downplay the role that Martin played for us. He is second in the number of appearances and won player of the year. He was very, very good for us.

Post subject: Re: Dave Martin~
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:21 am 

^ that.

Although a fair few people regardless which player it is just like to do the “glad he’s gone” thing whenever a player in a bit of poor form leaves and never actually be grateful for the service he made.

The reception Joe Hart got yesterday against City, and the reception Mata got from the Chelsea fans is the sort of response Martin deserves from us.

Not saying that’s what WellDon is implying btw. But generally heard some real weird criticisms of ex players down the years.

Apparently.

UTF