THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 2:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:05 am 

Our away form worries me a tad for this one. Our Home form puts us 2nd, whereas away is 11th.

When we don't have time on the ball, we struggle. AFC are a pretty terrible team at the moment, with barely any standout players but none of that really matters in a game like this. It's a fixture they've not really looked up for in the past, but after how bad they were at StadMK, they should be a bit more fired up. We're a different team when not playing at home. Not sure if its the smaller pitches or teams more eager to press with home support behind them but we need to be smarter.

I felt we looked really nervous against Wrexham in the early stages. Passing was well off key and we were getting caught trying to play out. We need calm heads for this one and to not collapse early on.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:24 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
Our away form worries me a tad for this one. Our Home form puts us 2nd, whereas away is 11th.

When we don't have time on the ball, we struggle. AFC are a pretty terrible team at the moment, with barely any standout players but none of that really matters in a game like this. It's a fixture they've not really looked up for in the past, but after how bad they were at StadMK, they should be a bit more fired up. We're a different team when not playing at home. Not sure if its the smaller pitches or teams more eager to press with home support behind them but we need to be smarter.

I felt we looked really nervous against Wrexham in the early stages. Passing was well off key and we were getting caught trying to play out. We need calm heads for this one and to not collapse early on.

I'd say we look worse when we have MORE time on the ball. When teams sit in their own 18 yard box, we can't break them down. Be good if they come at us so we can find some space. Their pitch isn't big so space will be limited.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:28 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:

When we don't have time on the ball, we struggle. AFC are a pretty terrible team at the moment, with barely any standout players but none of that really matters in a game like this. It's a fixture they've not really looked up for in the past, but after how bad they were at StadMK, they should be a bit more fired up. .

They couldn't be less fired up than they were at StadMK....thought they looked startled

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:48 pm 

I really think we will struggle in this one, I'm not looking forward to it at all

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:09 am 

I'm also not looking forward to it. The home game was so recent that the players will surely be out to avenge the performance, if not the result or even the magnitude of the fixture.

Every time we've played there we've never looked quite 'ourselves', whatever idea of 'ourselves' is at the time. Except perhaps the lockdown game but as we all know, that season didn't happen.

Kingsmeadow 16/17 - Still the most angry I've ever been at a result. Players couldn't look less interested. Didn't look intimidated, because they weren't there in the slightest. I knew we'd lose before we even walked out. And even then I couldn't have predicted it'd be that bad.
Neilson's demeanour and general insistence to chalk this down to "any other game" and say he's been a part of other derbies so it doesn't phase him rung true to the other players in the end. Nobody had a fucking clue what they were involved in, except two or three who can only do so much.

Kinsmeadow 17/18 - We were shit. They were worse. To the point where it was a rare occasion where barely us, or them could be arsed to have a go at each other. We won, and they missed a penalty but frankly, when we were having discussions on the coach home about how much we need to improve for the game on Tuesday (where we subsequently got outplayed and held on for a 0-0 draw at home to Covblers) you know it papered over cracks. Enjoyable, don't get me wrong, but the signs were there. We got relegated that year.

Kingsmeadow 19/20 - Probably the best one thus far, end to end cup game, but we were probably the better side. Tisdale approached it correctly, but had us all nervous with Kasumu starting his first game. He scored a beauty. We played really well, both sides missed a penalty, they scored with what was almost literally the last kick, and took it to pens (I had my phone stopwatch on and me and some friends were head in hands at how little we had left). We won the shootout, was a really good game of football.

Cherry Red Records Stadium 21/22 - I must admit, I remember little of the game. I stupidly thought it'd be a good idea to go out the night before and woke up with the worst hangover ever. Somehow made it out of bed with my friend pulling my leg to wake me up, and the quicker I got a jäger down me the better I'd be... ha..ha.. I eventually did sober up, after a few espresso shots and a shandy or two. But by the time kickoff came I was exhausted and sat on my own for a lot of it.
What I did remember was Wickham starting, which baffled all of us and, frankly, AFC having the better of thenfirst half. 1-0 up, work to do. We came out second half better but by no means did we look like scoring until ten mins before the end Troy doing his best Van Basten impression and bailing us out. Some of our best limbs ever, which I missed being a part of having caught the goal at the corner of my eye whilst sending a text.
They were the best part of 25 without a win. We hadn't lost in 10 or so. It was almost written it'd end there but we got away with it. A really poor performance, so a welcomed point by the end given the circumstances.

We really need our senior lads to step up, which they have done of late in fairness. Gilbey, Harvie, O'Hora, Kemp, know "what it means". So they need to drill it into the rest of them. And to be fair, I don't think Norman, Bate, Wearne, Tomlinson etc will be intimidated, they strike me as the exact opposite infant who'd welcome that kinda shit. It's more the physical element of their side. We cannot allow them to bully us off the ball, and overplaying in that ground will be dangerous.

If we're at our best, we beat them. But this really is one of the cliche 'not any other game' kinda games. We saw against Wycombe in the playoffs what can happen if a physical side plays against us with the crowd up for it. We really need tonstick the landing and start well. If we start on the back foot we could be in trouble.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:12 am 

Yup, I think we're going to get a bit of a hammering on Saturday. We've on ever won once at their new ground and I'm pretty sure that was during the Covid season when it was behind closed doors.

Their fans are absolutely sick of them playing down this fixture and pretending that it's not happening and their approach to the game seems to be changing slightly, with them acknowledging it a bit more.

As good a team as we are, what I saw in the earlier stages against Wrexham and also the entire game against Bradford, is that we have a bit of weak mentality. I think we're going to crumble, especially without Lewington in the team.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:22 am 

East Wing Don wrote:
Yup, I think we're going to get a bit of a hammering on Saturday. We've on ever won once at their new ground and I'm pretty sure that was during the Covid season when it was behind closed doors.

Their fans are absolutely sick of them playing down this fixture and pretending that it's not happening and their approach to the game seems to be changing slightly, with them acknowledging it a bit more.

As good a team as we are, what I saw in the earlier stages against Wrexham and also the entire game against Bradford, is that we have a bit of weak mentality. I think we're going to crumble, especially without Lewington in the team.

We've also never lost there though

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:41 am 

AFC will be up for this one for sure. It's going to be a tasty game.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:20 am 

I think we will be 2 up inside 30 minues, possibly even 3 by half time. Theres enough shithouses in our team now, the difference is our shithouses have technical ability and can play football. Same team as against newport and we blow them away

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:13 pm 

Bradford game is one I'm willing to pass off as an anomaly and I think you should too. We went to Swindon a few days later and beat them so.. also, the Wrexham game, we equalised 4 mins after going behind, within the first half hour so think we're really downplaying our resilience here.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next