THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:25 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:28 pm 

Quote:
Must win game. Simple as that. Huge gap created with a win and other results going our way from 8th and maybe even end up in the automatics. Hope the crowd get behind the team come on barrow

Quote:
Their best player (Max Dean) is crocked, while we’ve got pretty much our strongest team available. And the sun’s out. All adding up to be a good day for us.

Quote:
Great win, sounds like we really ground that out but were the better team. Slightly disappointing crowd given that there were 275 away fans (3500 in total). Good results around us - I don’t mind Mansfield winning as they keep Notts County further away from us. Great to be third, even if the teams around us have games in hand - by no means certain they will win them. 53 points on 3 February is fantastic.

Quote:
This was a really tight game but overall we deserved to win how proctor didn't score with that header only he knows but saying that they missed a simple chance as well

Quote:
We seem to be getting labelled a pub team, pitch suited our agricultural style and “I wouldn’t want to watch that every week” - all the hallmarks of a good Barrow win.

Quote:
A brilliantly taken goal by Cole Stockton proved to be the difference as Barrow move up into 3rd place on 53 points.

In the first half, Barrow and MK Dons cancelled each other out in midfield. However, the second half was end-to-end entertainment. Whitworth’s 78th minute pass through to Stockton was expertly hooked over the goalkeeper and into the net.

In the 26th minute we broke from an MK Dons corner, good interplay between Campbell, Telford and Newby giving the latter a shot from the left from a narrow angle saved by Marschall. Five minutes later a good cross enabled a shot from Foley which went wide of the right post.

Farman saved from Kemp in the 37th minute just before Canavan was booked for pulling back Gilbey.

Spence then went close for Barrow with a shot wide of the left post.

Farman was called into action in the 41st minute, punching away a sharp shot from Payne for a corner.

In the second minute of added time, Campbell shot wide from a 20 yard free kick.

The second half was fast and furious in comparison with a host of chances.

Five minutes in, Telford shot wide. Seconds later, Canavan superbly blocked from Gilbey who was through on goal.

Williams was then booked for a foul on Newby. Newby’s free kick fell to Foley who skied over the bar from close range in the 52nd minute.

Tomlinson was then booked for kicking the ball away. In the 55th minute, Ray also saw yellow for a foul on Harrison.

Three minutes later, the injured Harrison had to be replaced by Tezgel, while we replaced Telford with Whitfield.

In the 64th minute, Whitfield forced a save from his 20 yard free kick.

Five minutes later, we gave the ball away cheaply, resulting in a free kick as Foley fouled Payne. Tomlinson’s free kick was saved by Farman, getting us out of jail.

In the 73rd minute, White and Gotts came on for Foley and Campbell while MK Dons replaced Kemp with Robson.

Five minutes later came Barrow’s goal. After a good minute of patient MK Dons passing and build up, Whitfield broke and his ball through to Stockton was sublimely lobbed over Marschall from outside the box.

Goalscorer and man of the match Stockton was then replaced by Proctor, and Worrall came on for Stephenson.

In the 81st minute a dangerous cross from Bate fell to Gilbey at the left post, the No.8 just failing to connect and equalize. Lofthouse then replaced Harvie for MK Dons.

A Whitfield corner in the 85th minute found Proctor who headed just wide of the left post from close range.

Eight minutes of extra time started with a save from Whitfield and continued with Farman clearing a Tomlinson shot for a corner. Farman was then booked for time-wasting in the 6th minute of added time but immediately set up Proctor to pass through to Spence with his goal kick, the attempt being cleared for a Barrow corner. There was still time for a Gotts shot to be saved before the referee blew, the Bluebirds earning an important and well-deserved victory.

Attendance was 3,501 including 275 visiting fans.

Quote:
That tackle by Canavan about ten minutes into the second half was the outstanding moment of the match for me (other than the goal). I asked my mates "how many out of 10 for that tackle" and I got a few 8's and 9's back. I had to tell them, no, 10's don't get dished out too often but that was a 10 . . . a magnificent tackle straight out of the Sir Bobby Moore manual and everybody could see if he hadn't timed it right it would have been a penalty.

Quote:
Reliably informed that some lad in corporate said to Stockton when he came in to do his post match address
“you don’t run, you don’t hold it up etc…..”

Cole turned round and said “I just score winners” Stoned the guy dead with just one misile

Quote:
Funny you mentioned that Mark as Stockton was being subbed, a guy behind me said he hasn't done much ,and I turned round laughing and said, well as long as he scores goals there's not much you can say !

Quote:
In the grand scheme of things that was one hell of a result today, for me that game was won off the field of play. The amount of assessing, the amount of research that our staff do then to pick a squad capable on the day of getting a result against a form team was fantastic. The team spirit is second to none and this comes through in droves, our team were under immense pressure today to gain a win and they came through with flying colours for their manager and fans. There are no giveaway points in league two every one of them won through a brilliant team effort and spirit. Tactics and Subs once again superb by Wildy and long may this continue. Not bad for little ol Barrow are you listening radio C you are missing out on something really special that is happening and it’s right on your own doorstep.

Quote:
Not a great game to watch but it’s the 3 points that matter. I don’t like the style of football where we sit back, don’t challenge and just let them have as much time in the ball as they want, but a win is a win.

[/quote]If you listen to Pete Wilds after match interview he explains why we don't press and sit back. Teams like MKDons want you to press as they have players with the ability to play round the press and pick you off.
[/quote]
Quote:
Interesting game. Strong MK midfield and defence were resilient to many of our attacks while our defence showed the qualities that have regularly served the team well but MK still had real chances. Substitutes livened things up for us.

iFollow highlights are very generous to our visitors (and don't reflect the gane stats).

I hope the lighting fault has been identified and a permanent fix can be made. On a day with poorer weather today's match wouldn't have finished.

Quote:
I did think the goal came from a rare defensive lapse by MK. During that period they were trying to establish some dominance and began to commit more players forward. On that occasion they left Stockton and Whitfield 2v2. Farman clearly clocked them and humped the ball up the middle. Once it reached Stockton MK were in trouble. Very tough game. Great result.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:12 pm 

That last quote is spot on. We left them two on two. Surely if Lewie goes forward someone else should be covering back.
Perhaps a case of losing one point by chasing three, which is of course fair enough.