THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:04 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:44 pm 

Quote:
On the subject of away fans we'll be taking over a thousand more to their soulless, empty bowl than they brought to us in the corresponding fixture at Priestfield. Proof, if any were needed, that they are a nothing more than a plastic shell of a club, a failed pipedream for an invented city that doesn't care.

Quote:
Good write up but going to disagree on the people of MK don't care. They get a steady 6K for home games and that's a support they have had to grow from nothing (assuming any true Wimbledon fan has kept a wide berth especially since the league return of AFCW).

My first trip today and I'm expecting to like it and expecting to conclude that its location on a leisure park with multiple facilities is exactly what we need in the future.

Quote:
Yep, awful place MK . Right outside the ground all you can do is park, shop, eat, visit the cinema, stay at the hotel, drink, walk to the park, or see whats on in the arena.

Quote:
Fuck sake, fucking horrible.

Quote:
Bollocks. Typical.

Quote:
Game over. Gills defence went to sleep

Quote:
Heard our goal from the car park as did hundreds and hundreds of other Gills.

Quote:
Another game we probably should have won, if only we could take our chances.

Quote:
Mighty frustrating defeat that against a bang average opponent. Definitely deserved a point but yet again we were undone by an individual defensive error & our persistent lack of a cutting edge.

Quote:
Massively disappointed, we looked the better side, certainly second half, got in dangerous positions and how we haven't scored while on top I don't know. Then we fall to the sucker punch at which point we revert to being the spineless mess we always turn into after going behind and promptly concede another.

Quote:
Today he (Nadeson) showed zero pace or appetite. Should have exposed old man Lewington's lack of pace. Looked completely shot of confidence & self belief.

Quote:
Felt like MK we’re only in 2nd gear most of the match but still beat us mainly as we didn’t score when on top, and then let in a really poor 2nd which ended any hopes of getting a point at least.
Like Reactions:LSB2

Quote:
My first trips to MK and as expected I thought it was a fantastic stadium, clearly too big for them but I hope that's what our future stadium looks like (albeit scalable to a start with).

I'm guessing that entire leisure / retail park was the enabling infrastructure for the stadium build and that has to be the way forward for us and Medway Council as well.

Lots of easy parking and good choice of family friendly restaurants before or after.

I suspect that's the contentious point with many fans. Old school fans wants good train links and a few pubs not a range of chain restaurants. I get that and the lack of a train station is what lets the place down. Stadium MK has been built for fans travelling by car and that's probably the future.

I liked it and I hope that's our future.

Quote:
Our players.

Drab. Unlikeable. No fight. No charisma. Strolling around the pitch with no urgency or drive.
I've had enough of this lot.

Couldn't score in a brothel.

Just bugger off.

Quote:
Judging from the number of empty seats in the home ends it's seems that the majority of the quarter of a million residents have found alternative entertainment this afternoon.

Quote:
Same could be pointed at the people of Medway and we've had 100 years to build a fanbase.

Don't get me wrong I hate the entire franchise model but the people of MK weren't clamouring for a league club to be plonked on them. In the twenty years or so they've existed they've built an incredible foundation (stadium) when we haven't even replaced a temporary stand.

I suspect their average home gate will be higher than ours at the end of the season.

I think we are definitely in the glass house and we should leave that pile of stones alone

Quote:
When that second went in I turned to my mate and said " look, counter attack, winger runs and beats the defender, gets in the 18 yard box/byline, crosses the ball. the striker gambles and buries it. It's all so simple yet when did we last score a simple goal like that."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:10 pm 

An excellent mix of bitterness and realism. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:19 pm 

keyser soze wrote:

I agree....a few comments saying such things as we have grown in 20 years while they remain stationary and haven't even replaced that temp stand.
Don't agree....they were the better side in the second half.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:50 pm 

WellDon wrote:
keyser soze wrote:

I agree....a few comments saying such things as we have grown in 20 years while they remain stationary and haven't even replaced that temp stand.
Don't agree....they were the better side in the second half.

Must be twinned with Northampton.... ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:17 pm 

Good comments about the surrounds if the stadium except the but about being able to go for a drink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:34 pm 

It's never going to happen but a railway station near where the line crosses Watling Street would be excellent.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:49 pm 

voxish wrote:
It's never going to happen but a railway station near where the line crosses Watling Street would be excellent.

Too close to both Bletchley and MKC unfortunately, would also likely never ever be used unless for football matches and events.

As stated elsewhere many times before I'm not a huge fan of our stadium. It's beautiful to look at but it's too big for us. Always preferred the idea of a smaller League One sized stadium of about 16k but again, there's never been much point talking about ifs because it was never gonna happen for all the reasons we know why.

But it's allowed me to enjoy going to dives like Gills and Grimsby a bit more.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:07 am 

voxish wrote:

I know this is incredibly boring but there did actually used to be a station there... in 1838: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denbigh_H ... ay_station

Anyway the ground holds us back a bit, we know that; our attendances are fine for this level but the stadium represents unfulfilled ambition. At least with Priestfield nobody could say that...

Gillingham suffer a bit because there are bigger teams like Charlton a train ride away, but they should still be bigger than they are.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:44 am 

If Mark Halsey wasn't a Man City fan, they'd be European Champions by now

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:25 am 

Gillingham was voted the worst Ground in the country for a fans experience.. Now that is a FACT...