THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:40 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:27 am 

The result doesnt bother me that much or going out of that particular competition, we have bigger fish to fry.

It does bring into focus a few things for me.

1) 5 or 6 of those on display were what we might have considered our starting 11 only a few weeks ago. no wonder we were in such a poor position and it reinforces for me what I was saying at the time. GA might not have been all that great but the players were the ultimate problem.

2) Our squad, for all its size is paper thin on quality. We know Leko can produce but its sporadic and lacks any form of consistency. Mo, who god knows I am not his greatest fan, cannot manage with not playing week in, week out. The drop off is astonishing and as he has dropped down the pecking order its best for him and the club to move him on if we can. Hes no use to us at the moment.

3) The youngsters get a free pass to a degree but need to go out on loan to get some playing experience at an appropriate level. Devoy, Burns, Smith, Stewart, Dennis, Harrison have all had their chance. Some were bought for a different style of football so moving them out makes sense but others just arent good enough.

MW has done a great job so far with what he has but this squad needs a tonne of works, absolutely mountains to be done. We have to have patience and let him have the time to do the work required. It might mean 2 or 3 seasons in this god awful division but sooner or later we have to stick with a manager and it may as well be MW as anyone else.

Last edited by Magpie on Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:28 am 

My biggest concern is that MW did not appear to do anything to stop the stupid passing antics of Kelly in the first half which handed the initiative to a bunch of trainee lads.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:33 am 

I thought we were pretty dire for most of the game against Grimsby, which unlike last night, did matter.

No concerns yet and everything has been so much better under MW than GA, but I hope for a decent performance on Saturday. Last night, even with fringe players, I'd have expected to see the same style of play but we were dominated by a youth team, who played significantly better football than us.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:26 am 

It's gonna be difficult to change things over ight. We're seeing sparks from some individuals and nothing from others. January will be a good time to start setting g the wheels in motion. They've had long enough under Mike to prove their worth

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:02 am 

I'd still keep Leko in case we need to mix things up from the bench. He's really capable of anything or nothing, but still think he is worth a Plan B/C.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:25 am 

paul4040 wrote:
I'd still keep Leko in case we need to mix things up from the bench. He's really capable of anything or nothing, but still think he is worth a Plan B/C.

I think that heavily depends on what happens with Eisa. I dont think we should keep either to be honest but certainly I dont think we can keep both. They must both be high earners (relative terms) and if we cant shift Mo, then Leko has to go for me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:59 pm 

Leko, Harrison, Eisa, Smith, Robson, Devoy, Hunter, Burns, Dennis

Not arsed if these go. Matter of fact I'd almost embrace most of them going.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:11 pm 

For me it all depends on how they are affecting the rest of the group.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:39 pm 

Pseudonym wrote:
For me it all depends on how they are affecting the rest of the group.

They're certainly (negatively) affecting us!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:30 pm 

I certainly think the worst thing to happen for players like Harrison, Hunter, Smith and Stewart was the sacking of GA. I just do not see how they fit into the mould of MW's style or requirements and Tuesday showed this for many. Robson, Eisa, Leko and Dennis I believe have run their race, and should not even be kept as backups. Move on and cut our losses. I'd even include MJ Williams in this as he will not be a too-effective in a passing setup.

I think Devoy and Burns have enough about them to be loaned out and seen if gaining some confidence can inspire a positive return.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next