THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:57 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:48 am 

Quote:
I’ll never go because of who they are, may well have never gone anyway because it’s Milton Keynes

Quote:
The problem is you,d never go anywhere if you have dislikes for clubs. Never go to crewe because of their past. never go to chesterfield because of what they did in lockdown re furloughs, never go to city or newcastle because of their owners, swerve stoke or burnley because of the past. The list is endless and possibly there is your own personal reason to avoid all away clubs. Really we go to watch County hopefully win and not the away side. Only spending the minimum which is the entrance fee at away clubs you dislike is the best way to go about it. Going or not going is not going to affect any single club financially but seeing them having to throw food away can bring a smile to your face.

Quote:
Just had a glance at their forum. A lot of them seem to have turned on Graham Alexander already despite having taken 12 points from 6 (at the time of most of the posts, 13 from 7 now). Would love them to sack him and tumble down the table.

Quote:
What's the reason? I don't know anything about him but heard they are a hoof ball team

Quote:
Obviously MK Dons as an actually existing historical event can get f###ed, but their forum URL being “sit down or we’ll steal your club” is pretty hilarious…

Quote:
QuotePost OptionsPost by suedehead on 21 hours ago
I know it’s a bowl on a retail park but this is an impressive stadium.

Quote:
Entertaining half and a really mixed bag.

The good, in a rough order of precedence: Clinical finishing. Barry. the first 20 and the return of our front pressing and decisive passing. Touray (best half by a mile). MSH.

The bad. Our organisation and defending. Even without giving them another soft goal they could easily grab one second half and look a good side in attack.

Quote:
Between the boxes we were excellent. The midfield worked hard. We won it high repeatedly, kept it down and played it quickly between the lines.

In their box, in the first half we were clinical. Second, dire. Had 3 excellent chances that we mucked up not even forcing a save.

Defensively in open play we were good when the midfield shield was there (I can only think of the chance when they broke and flicked one over Horsfall as a good open play chance for them). Set pieces, though, dire. Basically every one gave up a big chance.

Quote:
Superb win that. They won't lose many at home IMO.

Quote:
Thoroughly enjoyed the game today. I thought both teams played some excellent football, lots of neat passing and not too many long balls. Thought MK looked much more threatening in the first half, and their subs didn't really help them. But its always a bit of a nail biting finish with a one goal lead.

In the end I thought we were good value for the win. Two wins on the bounce now against teams that were early front runners, both without us having a full squad available. Hopefully, this means we have got over the early season nerves.

Quote:
3pts from a dump of a ground and I can say the same of Wimbledon as a whole, such a fake club I'm glad we beat them today

Quote:
They're MK Dons, not Wimbledon.

Have you been to their ground?

Quote:
Even if you don’t like MK or new grounds aren’t for you, it’s clearly not a dump. It’s by far and away the best (by new standards) in this division.

Quote:
Yeah, first time there today and apart from the out of town location it’s a class above anything I’ve been to outside of the PL. Spacious padded seats, big concourse with plenty of staff to make sure queues aren’t too bad and a Sensible bar area. If we could incorporate some of that into what we eventually build, we’d be onto a winner.

Quote:
It's a superb stadium even if the people of MK are not interested, it's a white elephant but it's premier league quality, padded seats throughout the ground and ceramic tiled walls instead of concrete block or tin, as you say it's by far the best in this division.

Quote:
Really surprised to see there were just over 7K there today - certainly didn't feel like that many people. I gather the capacity is just over 30K, but from where we were, on the corner of the away end, I wouldn't have believed it was nearly a quarter full. I'd have guessed around 15%.

Quote:
Fake may be, but the ground? It has the Wow factor, like a mini Wembley. They got it all right, something to aspire to, sadly they got the capacity wrong. A lesson there.?
Mind you, pies were over priced

Quote:
The dump/nice debate misses the point - it should never have been built.

Quote:
Agreed that moving Wimbledon to MK should never have been allowed, and doubt anything similar would be now. But next year it will be 20 years ago. It's great to see AFC Wimbledon are now playing at the same level as MK, have excellent support and a decent new ground with the capacity to extend it if they need to.

I don't think it is fair to hold the history against the current fans of MK who, I guess, are for the most part just supporting there local club. As an East Anglian exile I know that that part of the UK is definitely lacking in league clubs, so you can't blame locals for supporting MK. Plus I suspect a sizeable proportion of them were born after the whole francise fiasco took place.

As for the stadium, it is a good example of a newly built ground. It is clearly multi-purpose and undoubtedly attracts more people these days for concerts etc, than football.

Quote:
Nah f*ck them. Even Winkelman has admitted he should have pumped money into MK City instead of stealing another community's football club.

Quote:
It was terrible what happened. No way should it be forgotten.

Quote:
It shouldn't be forgotten, but it's not going to change and isn't the fault of the current MK fans.

Reality is there is now an MK team and a Wimbledon team - and, on a positive note, they are now competing at the same level.

Quote:
I'm intrigued. After what happened at, for example, Bury fairly recently what is it that makes you so sanguine about this kind of thing never happening again?

I do feel the Football League should issue an edict commanding MK Dons to change their name to Milton Keynes FC or some such. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that holding onto the Dons is an egotist like Wankman basically taking the piss. The Dons part of it makes no sense otherwise.

Quote:
Dropping the Dons part would help a bit, just as giving the trophies back to Merton did. But they'll still never sit right with me, there's no other club that I would happily see go to the wall - with the possible exception of Crewe.

Quote:
It's the fault of anyone over the age of about 25/30 that they support that club, when they'll know the history of what happened.

Quote:
More like 30/35.

Given a 25 year old will have been about 5 when it was all happening 20 years ago, and a 30 year old still only 10.

Quote:
Their ground disproves the build it and they will come theory

Quote:
I remember when MK played their first game at EP.
A rather well known County fan who had been quite outspoken about MK and Winkelman walked up to him in the pre match hospitality and I genuinely feared a “fall out”, amazingly within about 10 seconds he was having his photo taken with his arm around Winkelmans shoulder.
There’s no doubt Winkelman screwed a club over but a few minutes in his company and you could feel his charisma.

Quote:
Milton Keynes City existed, it went bust not long after the franchise move.

It's quite funny reading their forum now. There's a real sense of entitlement there which typifies a fanbase that was just handed their club on a plate. People on there talking about having watched football for 40+ years... so who did you support then?

They won't ever fill that white elephant of a stadium. It's a very pretty bowl, and it will make a very good concert stadium for years to come. I might even go there myself for a gig one day if the club has gone pop.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:32 pm 

Yea Pies are abit pricey... Enjoyed my BECKS at half time wasn't flat and no queues...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:43 pm 

Mk Ron wrote:
Yea Pies are abit pricey... Enjoyed my BECKS at half time wasn't flat and no queues...

£2.30 for a cup of tea
£3.00 for a small bottle of coke.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:59 pm 

Before the move, I used to support Stockport County but I gave them up because most of the fans were sanctimonious pricks.

True story. 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:36 pm 

Quote:
More like 30/35.

Ageist!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:13 pm 

The whole thing about watching football for years before MK Dons came around is one I've never really understood.

I've encountered many people who not necessarily "changed" the club they support but adopt a new local side because of where they've moved. One of the few Northampton fans I know got into them after going every now and again, and a season ticket after moving down from up north where he usually went and watched Liverpool. They'll deny it because they always do but I've met many in Manchester at gigs who've said "I'm United but I watch Oldham a lot" and the like, many have ties to clubs through work, family, uni etc... my Dad is a Hibs fan who was in MK for 20 years before MK Dons came about. I'd imagine every club in the EFL has fans who are Scottish, Irish, Welsh etc who adopt their new local side so I've always found that criticism odd...

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:41 am 

I wasn't really into football, I supported Northampton Saints rugby club. It wasn't until a mate asked me if I fancied going to Stadium MK one day that I started supporting them. So there's another angle on it.