THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:18 am 

Quote:
Although MK are top of the table they appear to have been quite lucky. From an expected goals of 3.5 for the season they have managed to score 10. They have also conceded 7 in their first 4 league games so we can get at that them.

Quote:
A loss to MK, not a difficult one to call when you see the shambles we have had in league games so far. Hopefully having had a full week GM will have sorted defence out more so it doesn't end up a farce again, but trying to go forward has clearly not worked very well either, and I don't expect us to be able to score against a clearly organised side at MK. 2-0 to MK.

Quote:
Absolutely terrible defending for their opening goal. Embarrassing.

Quote:
The defending from Sotana for the first goal and from Olowu for the second was beyond diabolical.

Simply nowhere near acceptable for paid professional footballers.

Quote:
Wow both deji and olowu had shockers for those goals.

Deji just stopped. Even rest of his team looked straight at him and put their arms out.

And if they didn't score with the 2nd then it was definitely a penalty, olowu didn't even make any effort to win the ball.

Both rightly hooked for those alone.

Quote:
2nd half much improved, damage done in the first half. Hopefully we can take positives from that 2nd half and take it forward into more games.

Westbrook looked cracking in that midfield central role,

Quote:
The scorer for the second definitely didn't foul Olowu. He totally physically overwhelmed him. Oluwu had two arms round him like it was a wrestling match. If the lad hadn't scored, it was a stone cold penalty.

Quote:
If we can reproduce that second 45 mins in upcoming matches, we will start the recovery.

Quote:
Don’t know how we lost that today.
We were all over them 2nd half.
Keep playing like that and we will be ok
Cut the mistakes out and be more clinical
It will come if we keep that work rate we saw today.

Quote:
We absolutely did deserve something from that game. The MK Dons fans that I walked to the station grudgingly agreed that a draw would have been a fair result.

Quote:
When you gift two goals and miss easy chances you don't win many football games, it is as simple as that.

Quote:
We battered them especially second half gutted we came away with nothing

Quote:
There must have been 5 or 6 corners for rovers in the last 10 mins . Real backs to the wall for MK and they looked very relieved when the whistle went.

Quote:
Excellent display from Rovers today - took the game to them right from the off and were by far the better side.Their first goal was a very lucky deflection leaving the lad with a chance he couldn't miss. Second very much against the run of play and at no stage did our heads drop.

Second half - absolutely battered them and desperately unlucky not to come away with anything.

Quote:
I’d agree with that. This was echoed by the MK Dons fans who I was chatting to on the way back too. It was our best league performance by far and showed what the team can do, even with a crippling injury list.

Quote:
The MK players celebrated wildly at the end - as did their fans. They had hung on by their fingernails at home V bottom of the league for 30 minutes, and had been outplayed for 90%of the whole game.

If that had been us,playing at home and top of the league, I wouldn't have been in a rush to read the outcry from all the Guardiola's on here.

Rovers will end the season higher than MK for sure.

Quote:
I would say MKD are for sure in a false position. But maybe they had an off day. I’m sure I read they were significantly outperforming their XG also. So either lucky or clinical, I’ll guess we’ll see as the season goes on

Just checked they are scored average 2.4 goals per game to a 1.12xg conceding 1.6 to a 1.56xga

Whereas we are 0.8 goals per game to 1.13xg and conceding 2.4 to a 1.59xga

Quote:
Well after last week’s excellent ref it was down to earth with a bump, todays ref was one of the weakest I have ever seen. Let their keeper dictate how long he was going to hold onto the ball for, someone in front of us counted 16 seconds after he’d stood up

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:26 am 

Pretty much agree with all that.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:39 pm 

xG is pure, unfiltered brain rot material which is calculated based on Premier League players having those chances, but you can't deny Rovers deserved something from the game.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:41 pm 

Can't disagree with any of that. They are an extremely poor team, and if so, what does that make us?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:31 pm 

Gers wrote:
Can't disagree with any of that. They are an extremely poor team, and if so, what does that make us?

Extremely Poor+

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:37 pm 

I can’t recall celebrating wildly :o

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:50 pm 

WellDon wrote:
I can’t recall celebrating wildly :o

If by 'celebrating wildly' you count everyone around you saying 'that was sh*t, how the hell did we survive? We didn't deserve that' then it was positively frenzied down by Gate 6.