THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:57 pm 

DonnieAndMooie wrote:
I thought we played relatively well for the first hour or so of the game tonight, but just lacked the clinical finishing that we showed on Saturday. It was pretty clear the lads tired towards the end, which was when we conceded the goals. The main negative was the fact we conceded a second quickly after the first, which was a pattern last season and has been happening throughout pre-season too. We've got to cut that out.

Overall, Wycombe were just more clinical than us. We probably had more chances than them in the game, but they took their's and we didn't. I'm not overly fussed about the result, and it's important to remember that the majority of teams we'll face this season in League 2 will not be a strong as Wycombe. Win on Saturday and nobody (or should i say noone) will remember tonight ever happened.

Thanks for sharing this!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:03 pm 

Was listening to the Wycombe manager on the way home on 3CR, he said it was a good game to watch.
I certainly never got that impression,

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:09 pm 

No, my impression was it was quite dull. And I was there too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:35 am 

I've seen enough games to know what a game is like blind.

By that, I mean just from listening the game radio and hearing the stadiums ambience - it was evident it was dull.

Whilst the commentary team said it was lively, I got the feeling the fans didn't buy into it

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:21 am 

WellDon wrote:
Was listening to the Wycombe manager on the way home on 3CR, he said it was a good game to watch.
I certainly never got that impression,

Football wise it had it's moments. They started better, but I thought we were the better team until they scored.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:21 am 

I honestly cant see what some see sometimes. If we had nicked it late on people would have said different. I thinn the result hasnt helped the feedback.

- we hit the crossbar twice
- a goal line clearance at both ends
- forced their goalkeeper into a couple of fine saves
- goalmouth scramble at their end

I think we looked a little jaded after 65 mins. Its concerning once again we conceded back to back goals in 10 mins.

Having said that for 65 mins the work rate was high energy, high energy press, players getting forward and tracking back all over the pitch. Another game where we had joy from our wingbacks.

Some neat partnerships and link play had formed. Illunga and hunter and leko and eisa combining nicely as well as norman impressing down the other side.

Really dissapointed by the goals, especially again allowing a player to be free to poke home after the initial save.

Ive listed my good points. The players also never went into themselves or gave up. They put in a great shift and created a number of goalscoring moments that on another day 2 or 3 go our way.

On one hand im not concerned as we are creating enough in moments from start to the very end to score enough tk win a game, it just didnt fall our way on the night. We are really pressing well and showing great desire in both halfs. On the other hand we must stop conceding back to back goals, we have to be more alert to second balls in our box and be switched on and marking up.

Overall though for a game i went into not really caring about, i never found it boring. It became i slightly tougher watch after the 1st goal and we were tiring at that point and imo when the signs were there and we had to make changes the game got away from us, the quality isnt there off the bench. Holland replaced a player that imo really did the work at both ends well but once he came on we conceded down his side after 3 minutes. Im not saying its his fault but he never really got up to the speed of what was required in the press or to carve out chances for us unlike the player he was replacing who did the defensive side well and brought others into play in key areas.

Ive seen worse games. Ive come out of games with a loss more frustrated. I think that will not be the case if we continue a couple of recurring bad points into league games.

Play like that, aside from conceding in league 2 and we win by 2 or 3 most weeks.

Wozza again btw almost with a cracking goal! Im impressed that we are looking like scoring multiple goals from multiple positions.

Final point, set pieces at both ends vastly improved! We look dangerous from attacking set pieces and weve defended a number of set pieces weve faced really well! A vast improvement there on recent seasons! Just need to cut the conceding down! We get the 0-0 and theres every chance we nick it on penalties and get that prize money tk go towards s new player, didnt that secure us carl baker in years gone by? And in a league game every point counts!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:12 am 

I was very much pleased by the number of different players having a go for goal. Much more promising than last year.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:52 am 

donmentor wrote:
I was very much pleased by the number of different players having a go for goal. Much more promising than last year.

That's encouraging to hear.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:54 am 

Beardhidesboy64 wrote:
I honestly cant see what some see sometimes. If we had nicked it late on people would have said different. I thinn the result hasnt helped the feedback.

- we hit the crossbar twice
- a goal line clearance at both ends
- forced their goalkeeper into a couple of fine saves
- goalmouth scramble at their end

I think we looked a little jaded after 65 mins. Its concerning once again we conceded back to back goals in 10 mins.

Having said that for 65 mins the work rate was high energy, high energy press, players getting forward and tracking back all over the pitch. Another game where we had joy from our wingbacks.

Some neat partnerships and link play had formed. Illunga and hunter and leko and eisa combining nicely as well as norman impressing down the other side.

Really dissapointed by the goals, especially again allowing a player to be free to poke home after the initial save.

Ive listed my good points. The players also never went into themselves or gave up. They put in a great shift and created a number of goalscoring moments that on another day 2 or 3 go our way.

On one hand im not concerned as we are creating enough in moments from start to the very end to score enough tk win a game, it just didnt fall our way on the night. We are really pressing well and showing great desire in both halfs. On the other hand we must stop conceding back to back goals, we have to be more alert to second balls in our box and be switched on and marking up.

Overall though for a game i went into not really caring about, i never found it boring. It became i slightly tougher watch after the 1st goal and we were tiring at that point and imo when the signs were there and we had to make changes the game got away from us, the quality isnt there off the bench. Holland replaced a player that imo really did the work at both ends well but once he came on we conceded down his side after 3 minutes. Im not saying its his fault but he never really got up to the speed of what was required in the press or to carve out chances for us unlike the player he was replacing who did the defensive side well and brought others into play in key areas.

Ive seen worse games. Ive come out of games with a loss more frustrated. I think that will not be the case if we continue a couple of recurring bad points into league games.

Play like that, aside from conceding in league 2 and we win by 2 or 3 most weeks.

Wozza again btw almost with a cracking goal! Im impressed that we are looking like scoring multiple goals from multiple positions.

Final point, set pieces at both ends vastly improved! We look dangerous from attacking set pieces and weve defended a number of set pieces weve faced really well! A vast improvement there on recent seasons! Just need to cut the conceding down! We get the 0-0 and theres every chance we nick it on penalties and get that prize money tk go towards s new player, didnt that secure us carl baker in years gone by? And in a league game every point counts!

Assuming this isn't overly rose-tinted, it's good to hear your assessment. But what it smacks of (and you state it yourself) is that, beyond the starting VI, we are seriously weak. Let's hope the rest of the window delivers, whether permanents or good loanees, or a mix.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:36 am 

keyser soze wrote:
Assuming this isn't overly rose-tinted, it's good to hear your assessment. But what it smacks of (and you state it yourself) is that, beyond the starting VI, we are seriously weak. Let's hope the rest of the window delivers, whether permanents or good loanees, or a mix.

No wonder we're in League Two if we're only using six players.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next