THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:10 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:49 pm 

Quote:
Wrexham v M K Dons.

A match between the two most hated teams in the league.

Quote:
Think it will be a disappointing 1-1 draw ,, hope I am wrong !

Quote:
Had a little look on MK forum and a lot of them predicting a loss. Not confident at all. I’d be happy if we keep our undefeated home run going.

Quote:
MK Dons fans nice and loud.

Quote:
Rude awakening.... Maybe this league isn't going to be as easy as some felt!

Quote:
Sounds like playing
MK Brazil

Quote:
Every team in this division will try to trounce us , every week .

Quote:
That Elsa(?) will be off soon with his sh!thousery.

Quote:
Think we underestimated the step up in quality. *This* is why Stockport overhauled their team when they went up.

Quote:
I think we’re getting to grips with them now. Plenty of time to score three, have faith!

Quote:
This is fun. Forgot what it's like to be pushed around at home.

Quote:
Leko & Elsa are miles better than anything we have available

Quote:
Their number 7 is so dangerous

Quote:
MKDons looks dangerous on every set piece. Wrexham looks the opposite.

Quote:
I think we got a much-needed slap in the face of reality.

Quote:
Wrexham played really nervous the first 15 minutes of the game. MkDons played like a group that saw themselves as a league 1 side. If Wrexham can come away with points today it would be a "win" because MkDons looks like the more dangerous team.

Quote:
Let’s get a bid in for Mo Eisa

Quote:
Let’s get a bid in for Mo Eisa

Quote:
Average age Wrexham 27.4 MK Don's 24.6 and oh boy has it shown today.

Quote:
Far too easy but Leko is class above

Quote:
USA was a huge mistake. We're well off the pace.

Wasn't Parky's call that so give him some slack. It's gonna take us a few weeks.

Quote:
I just hope there aren't too many teams in this league as good as MK Dons.

Quote:
There probably are. MkDons is finishing extremely well today and playing great. Didn't Wrexham win their first NL game 5-0? Could be something similar. They have the confidence of a league 1 side. Wrexham has the confidence of a NL side.

Quote:
Don't think confidence should have been an issue - they were relegated and had a crap pre-season results-wise, we were promoted and won 3 of our 5 pre-season games so surely we should be more confident.

Player ability and team formation have more to do with it.

Quote:
5000 fans missed that

Decent finish

Quote:
Full time.

Applause from a third full ground.

EFL welcome back !

Quote:
Do you mean there might be a few ticket soon for us fans who are struggling to get one..

Quote:
Big reality check. Got battered, bruised and beaten up in supposedly a less physical league.

Eisa and Leko were quality. There’s the step up. This won’t be as easy as some make out.

Quote:
The quality of their front 2 was frightening, they tore us to pieces. Our defence and midfield so slow in comparison.
Not the end of the world as they are a side who will go up this season on that showing. Strikers like that can win any game for you.

Quote:
That my friends is what you call a wake up call

7 and 10 absolutely killed us

Quote:
The thing that also stood out for me watching the game was the size difference, half our team were midgets, they were out muscled & bullied.

Quote:
Wrexham was able to create an incredible amount of opportunities without Mullin. But what Mullin does - what was clear this game - is that he draws other teams back, which limits their attack. Without that threat, MkDons could just send their troops up the field. And they also took more chances to press us. With Mullin in, that changes.

Quote:
Two words come to mind after that: arrogance and negligence.

Arrogance that they thought the team that played a division below, where results and individuals masked performances, could compete at the higher end of the league above. Arrogance that Palmer told everyone at the end of last season we’d be promoted.

Negligence that they thought the US trip, less than week before the season started was the best preparation. Negligence that the most seasoned team we played against in pre season was Bala.

We brought on a striker who we didn’t even take on the pre season tour.

We went to a 442 diamond and didn’t even play it once during pre season.

Quote:
Don't worry, it's all part of the plan.

This is going to make a great first episode for Season 3, and will really set the scene. It would have been boring watching if we just steamrollered through the league again.

Quote:
Gilbey and Williams were a cut above what we’ve played for years in the middle too. Williams bossed it I thought, played a lot for Bolton last season. That’s the difference.

Quote:
'm saying this from a point of calmness, but I do think there is an air of arrogance to think we didnt need to bring in better players. A massive wake up call I hope, also to a few on here.

There is levels and we just seen why. Better to learn now I reckon.

Quote:
Long way to go and a shame to see so many leaving before the end - that's no way to support a team that gave us so much last season.

Quote:
the performances of their 7 and 10 showed exactly the level we will need to be operating on. Mullin aside, we’ve got no one up front with their quality.

Quote:
There's a definite step up in quality between the leagues, more so than we expected. It will be interesting to see over the coming weeks if Wrexham and Notts' amazing performance last season was down to their brilliance or down to a generally weaker NL than in recent years.

Enjoy being back, it's where you've wanted to be for 15 years.

Quote:
The team seemed pretty shell shocked by MKD's speed, movement, aggression and strength. That looks like poor prep to me.

At least those taking the Conference Champions kool-aid will think again. League teams don't give shit about big sponsors, Hollywood owners, Wolverine, American tours or 111 points.

Quote:
I’m not Parkinson’s biggest fan. His football bores me. However, I kind of feel sorry for him on pre season.

How many other managers had to cancel training sessions in pre season because the players were out on their feet due to travelling? How many other managers had to prepare a team to leave the hotel at 4:00 the day after a game 3 times in 2 weeks? How many other managers had to give players time off in the lead up to the first game of the season due to jet lag?

This time last week the players hadn’t even landed at Heathrow.

These questions have to be asked to prepare better next year

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:05 pm 

Thanks as always.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them really dip into the market aggressively now. I haven't really understood the "Hype" around them walking this league with the squad they currently have. Their XI after the window ends will look a fair bit different to today's 11. Today would have humbled them.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:06 pm 

Excellent….thanks for this.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:19 pm 

Thank you not much to disagree with there

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:36 pm 

Great to read that after the last 3 months of despondency!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:17 am 

Good Sunday morning read as usual. Obviously all the better as we actually won for a change.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:39 am 

So many American comments in there. You can tell by the way they treat football teams as a singular “Wrexham has”, “MK Dons is”. Yuck yuck yuck.

At least nobody is supporting us to bask in the glow of the owner.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:06 am 

Good read that, Wrexham put back in their box with the lid nailed on.

The smugness of some of their fans pre season was unbearable, great to see that wiped of their faces

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:28 am 

paul4040 wrote:
So many American comments in there. You can tell by the way they treat football teams as a singular “Wrexham has”, “MK Dons is”. Yuck yuck yuck.

At least nobody is supporting us to bask in the glow of the owner.

I am :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:10 pm 

Thanks Oakee - great read!

Having felt underwhelmed through all of last season and consequently quite meh during the summer yesterday's theatre has certainly woken me up

Some good comments from the Wrexham folks, it will be an interesting season for them - whist (obviously) we want to be looking back over our shoulder I just can't begrudge them the fairytale - we wouldn't complain if Hollywood came knocking on Pete's door