THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:49 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:26 am 

THE APL PREDICTION LEAGUE & PREVIEW - SHREWSBURY TOWN
Day 366 in the MK Dons household and Neilson has eliminated someone else, this time its club legend Dean Lewington.

Now before I get my teeth into this, no I don’t believe Lewie should be playing on a regular basis, but equally I don’t believe he should be subjected to the apparent treatment he is getting either.

Although many have heard that there have been numerous dressing room bust ups between Neilson and players, there still seems to be an element in our fanbase that do not believe it, which I find mystifying. I guess its who you choose to believe, some it appears hang on every word that Pete and Robbie say and take it as gospel, personally I would have thought our fanbase had heard it all before, and should know better, but apparently not.

I just don’t get why they would put out storylines that are less than 100% true, when in the end the truth will out, surely, it’s better to say bugger all. People might say well what did you expect them to say.......well if you can’t tell the truth or the whole truth.... say nothing, you just look bloody stupid when things come to light.

Yesterday in Neilson’s post-match interview, Neilson was asked about Lewie and made it all sound very amicable that he was going on loan. Now, yesterday I posted the rumour that Lewie was training at Charlton, some people chose not to believe it, but last night a photo surfaced of Lewie in a Charlton training top, so does that sound amicable to you?

But more significant than even that is the Mike Dove thing, nothing official on the OS as far as I’m aware, but the official line seems to be he wants time out in his garden. Perhaps without all the other bust ups that might just slip under the radar and be taken as read, but many us are hearing its not as simple as that, there is obviously more to this than meets the eye, but I’m sure all will become clear very soon.

There is obviously something fundamentally wrong at the club right now, fans are divided on the Neilson issue, and I have a feeling that things are going to get much worse before they get better. The football is not pretty, it’s not exciting, does not send the turnstiles spinning and it has all the feeling of a marriage that’s gone wrong, and I imagine that’s where Pete finds himself right now, he has invested much in this relationship in terms of time and money. He spent so long getting the right man in his eyes, virtually staking his reputation on a manager who he called “exciting, bringing exciting football to MK Dons”, he thinks he must try and make it work......when possibly in the back of his mind he should file for divorce.

Its come to something when I read one fan say......” 4-1, take that Neilson haters”, is that what we have become, when we rejoice over beating a non-league team that have lost their last two conceding 8 goals, I guess that person does not recognise the fact that we should have been two or more goals behind at the break.

The real test of this team is in the league, and so far, we have been less than convincing, and I can’t recall any game this season where we have been in control for more than 45 minutes, there must be a reason behind that, but I see Camdenite has offered up an explanation.

Oh well, we move on to league action again on Saturday after a Checkatrade experience with the Chelsea kids in midweek, I’ve no doubt this will not be the last time myself and others chew over the latest in this sorry saga.

Our third game of seven this month, and back to League action with the surprise package of the season in the shape of Shrewsbury Town.

One of the favourites for relegation in the pre-season betting, they have defied the odds, and continue to confound opposition teams.

THE STORY SO FAR
Shrewsbury currently sit in 2nd place in the League 1 table, only recently being knocked from the top spot they have held virtually from the first kick, although it should be noted they have lost three of their last 4 league games.

Their record is as follows, PLAYED 19, WON 12, DRAWN 4, LOST 3, GF 26 & GA 13, with 40 POINTS in their account.

Their results in League 1 in chronological order.

Shrewsbury 1 Northampton 0
KFC Kingston 0 Shrewsbury 1
Shrewsbury 3 Rochdale 2
Oxford 1 Shrewsbury 1
Gillingham 1 Shrewsbury 2
Shrewsbury 1 Wigan 0
Shrewsbury 1 Southend 0
Oldham 1 Shrewsbury 2
Shrewsbury 1 Blackburn 1
Doncaster 1 Shrewsbury 2
Shrewsbury 2 Scunthorpe 0
Walsall 1 Shrewsbury 1
Plymouth 1 Shrewsbury 1
Shrewsbury 4 Bristol Rovers 0
Shrewsbury 1 Fleetwood 0
Peterborough 1 Shrewsbury 0
Rotherham 1 Shrewsbury 2
Bury 1 Shrewsbury 0
Shrewsbury 0 Bradford 1

THE MANAGER
Paul Michael Hurst aged 42, and born in Sheffield.

Appointed in October 2016 he was tasked along with his assistant Chris Doig to pull the Shrews off the bottom of the table from a list of over 100 candidates, and his effect was immediate, stopping a run of four consecutive defeats, and a week later recording his first win in charge with a 3-0 victory over Barnet in the FA Cup.

Hurst started his playing career in 1993 for Rotherham as a full back and went onto to play 438 games scoring 13 goals, his only other club was Burton Albion who he finished his career with playing 17 games.

In 2008 he began his management career jointly alongside Rob Scott, managing Ilkeston Town, Boston United and Grimsby Town. He took on sole responsibility at Grimsby in 2013 leaving amicably to join Shrewsbury.

He has done well as a manager never dipping below a 40%-win ratio in a 470+ game career, his stats to date make good reading of GAMES 477, WON 240, DRAWN 119, LOST 118, that’s a 50.24% WIN RATIO, although his Shrews record stands at 47%.

THE MASCOT
The Shrewsbury Town mascot is Lenny the Lion, it looks like he has a blemish free character and is one of the few mascots to travel to away games.

FORMER PLAYERS
Akpa Akpro, James Collins, Leo Fortune-West, Andre Gray, Joe Hart, Grant Holt, Gary Megson, Ryan Lowe, Steve Ogrizovic, David Pleat, James Tavernier, Neville Southall, Gylfi Sigurosson, Sam Winnall.

FORMER MANAGERS
Graham Turner, Asa Hartford, John Bond, Jimmy Quinn, Kevin Ratcliffe.

FAMOUS FANS
I tried, but I cannot find anyone other than an unknown weather girl for GMTV.

SHOOTERS BOOTS
Stefan Payne currently heads the table with 9 goals in all comps.

CURRENT MATCH ODDS
MK Dons 8/5 (Sun Bet) Draw 12/5 (BetFred) Shrewsbury 8/5 (Coral)

LAST TIME ROUND
Saturday 25th February 2017 – MK Dons 2 Shrewsbury 1
Team – Martin, Downing, Reeves (Muirhead), Walsh, GB Williams, Baldock, Aneke (Ngombo), Barnes, O’Keefe, Potter, Agard (Maynard)
Unused Subs – Nicholls, Lewington, Tilney, Bowditch
Goals – Agard 5’, Barnes 11’, Humphreys 90’
Ref – Mark Brown (2 Yellows)
Attendance – 8,322
League Position at the time of fixture – Dons 15th, Shrews 18th.

HEAD 2 HEAD
2016/17 – MK Dons 2 Shrewsbury 1 (Agard, Barnes)
2016/17 – Shrewsbury 0 MK Dons 1 (Powell)
2013/14 – MK Dons 3 Shrewsbury 2 (Alli, Long, Bowditch)
2013/14 – Shrewsbury 0 MK Dons 0
2012/13 – MK Dons 2 Shrewsbury 3 (Lowe 2)
2012/13 – Shrewsbury 2 MK Dons 2 (Balanta, Bowditch)
2007/08 – Shrewsbury 3 MK Dons 3 (Wright 2, Gallen)
2007/08 – MK Dons 3 Shrewsbury 0 (Knight, Dyer, Andrews)
2006/07 – MK Dons 1 Shrewsbury 2 (LG 2 Playoff) (Andrews)
2006/07 – Shrewsbury 0 MK Dons 0 (LG 2 Playoff)
2006/07 – Shrewsbury 2 MK Dons 1 (Platt)
2006/07 – MK Dons 2 Shrewsbury 0 (Edds, Platt)

YOU’VE GOT NO HISTORY
The club was formed in 1886 and was elected to the Football League in 1950, where it has played in all the bottom three divisions, apart from spending the 2003–04 season in the Conference Premier. It has also competed in the Welsh Cup, winning it six times, a record for an English team.

Playing at many venues across town, one of which was Copthorne Barracks the club moved to Gay Meadow, a place it was to stay for 97 years before moving into the New or Greenhous Meadow Stadium that it currently plays at.

Notable achievements in their history include reaching the League Cup Semi Final in 1961, after beating Everton in the quarters, for the record they lost the two leg semi 4-3 to Rotherham.

That decade saw Shrewsbury mainly survive by selling its biggest on field talent, and such stars as Steve Ogrizovic and David Moyes had to be sold to balance the books.

In 1996 Shrewsbury made its first ever appearance at Wembley in the Football League Trophy, only to lose at the hands of Rotherham United.

In 2003 the Shrews were relegated into the Conference but the following year bounced straight back, finishing third in the League they won the playoff final against Aldershot after a penalty shoot-out.

In 2006/07 they defeated us in the League 2 playoff semi-final, once again glory was to miss them out as they lost to Bristol Rovers in the final, in front of a record crowd for a fourth tier game of 61,589.

In 2007/08 the club moved into the New Meadow and the following year reached the playoff final, losing 1-0 to Gillingham in the 90th minute.

In 2011 they again qualified for the play-offs, this time losing to Torquay in the semi-final. The following year they made no mistake finishing 2nd to return to League 1 after a 15-year absence.

In 2013 they were once again relegated but in 2015 climbed back into League 1.

PREDICTION
That’s it for this game, please be aware of the rules, time deadlines etc.

Good Luck

8-) WellDon

EXAMPLE
MK DONS 1 SHREWSBURY TOWN 1
MKDFGS - AGARD

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:16 am 

Dons 2 Shrewsbury 1

Fgs agard

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:38 am 
MKD 2-2 Shrewsbury

FGS Aneke

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:12 pm 

MK Dons 1 Shrewsbury 0

FGS EEL

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:35 pm 

3-1 MK DONS
Agard

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:55 pm 

MK Dons 2 Shrewsbury 1

Fgs Agard

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:21 pm 

MK Dons 2 Shrewsbury 2
Gilbey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:42 pm 

MK Dons 2-1 Shrewsbury

MK fgs Upson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:24 am 

Dons 1 shrews 3
Dfgs Rabinio

Last edited by Kempstondons6 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:58 am 

Dons 1-1 Shrews
Dfgs Agard