THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:44 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:20 am 

THE APL PREDICTION LEAGUE & PREVIEW - SOUTHEND
This fixture last season will long be remembered as the final nail in Robbo’s coffin, and looking back at my preview of that game, I predicted that defeat would see the final line drawn under his career here at Stadium MK, but to be honest it was no great shock, and for many, a long time coming.

I recall Robbo cut a very sad figure standing on the touchline that day, almost in a daze wondering where it had all gone wrong. On my way out of the ground I bumped into Pete and asked him if he was going to sack him, he said no, but I guess he wasn’t going to say anything else really. The following day I was working on a Sunday in Nottingham, and on my way home the news came through that indeed Robbo had left MK, I don’t think I’ve ever felt that sad about much else in football, and although I was one of the few that stood by him to the end despite the growing calls to get him out, I felt guilty, I don’t know why, as I said I remained loyal to the final act.

So here we are about a year on and still firmly in a transition period, Neilson nears his first anniversary at the club, and it’s been a mixed bag really, we haven’t set the world or League 1 on fire, but, I can’t believe I’m going to say it, its early days yet, there, bloody hell I was nearly sick.

I’ve been critical of the quietly spoken monotone Scot, but just listening to him at the fans forum last week I can’t deny he is passionate, and his quiet almost authoritive manner makes me think that sooner or later he may just get it right and get the team firing on all cylinders.

Will that be this season is anyone’s guess, if it’s not, he is possibly going to be back at square one again next season as some of the current players will have gone back to their parent club.

It’s best not to dwell on things, Christmas and the New Year are the recognised points to make an assessment on how well or how bad things have gone, so until then.

Right its Southend and we have a great record against the Shrimpers, we have played them 10 times, winning 7, drawing 1 and losing 2.

Here we go...................

SOUTHEND – THE STORY SO FAR
Southend currently sit in 14th place in League 1 with a record of PLAYED 17, WON 6 DRAWN 5, LOST 6, GF 20 & GA 27 with 23 POINTS.

Their results this season in chronological order are as follows.

Southend 2 Blackburn 1
Southend 0 Newport 2 (EFL Cup)
Rotherham 5 Southend 0
Plymouth 1 Southend 1
Gillingham 3 Southend 3
Gillingham 2 Southend 1 (EFL Trophy)
Southend 0 Rochdale 0
Charlton 2 Southend 1
Shrewsbury 1 Southend 0
Southend 2 Northampton 2
Fleetwood 2 Southend 4
Southend 1 AFC Kingston 0
Southend 2 Blackpool 1
Southend 1 Reading U21 0 (EFL Trophy)
Doncaster 4 Southend 1
Wigan 3 Southend 0
Southend 1 Peterborough 1
Southend 1 Bury 0
Walsall 0 Southend 1
Yeovil 1 Southend 0 (FA Cup)
Southend 2 Colchester 0 (EFL Trophy)
Portsmouth 1 Southend 0

THE MANAGER
Philip “Phil” Brown born in South Shields County Durham, aged 58.

As a right back he began his playing days at Hartlepool United in 1978, going on to make 217 appearances, he went on to play for Halifax Town (135), Bolton (256) and finally Blackpool (44).

In 18 years he played a total of 652 games scoring 46 goals.

In 1999 he took over as Caretaker Manager of Bolton for just 6 games only losing 1, and became assistant to Big Sam for 6 years.

His first managerial full time job was at Derby County, but he is probably best known as the boss of Hull City and his infamous on pitch half time team talk. He went on to manage Preston North End but was sacked after a dismal first season, he took over at Southend in March 2013.

His lifetime stats are GAMES 486, WON 174, DRAWN 133, LOST 179, that’s a 35.9 % Win Ratio, although his win ratio is considerably higher for Southend at 40%.

FORMER MANAGERS
Phil Brown is manager number 41 for Southend, other incumbents include my boyhood hero Bobby Moore OBE, Ted Fenton, Barry Fry, Alvin Martin, dad of David Martin, Peter Taylor, Stewart Robson, David Webb and Ronnie Whelan.

FORMER PLAYERS
Plenty to choose from here including “Mad Dog” Martin Allen, Brett Angell, Britt Assombalonga, Tony Currie, Stan Collymore, Lee Chapman, Jamal Campbell-Ryce, John Burridge, Paul Brush, Alan Dicks, Jabo Ibehre, Frank Lampard, Kevin Lock, Charlie MacDonald, Chris Powell, Ben Reeves, Alex Revell and Hal Robson-Kanu to name just a few.

MATCHDAY MASCOT
Two unfortunate looking characters in the shape of Sammy the Shrimp, and Elvis J Eel.

SHOOTERS BOOTS
The Shrimpers top man so far is Simon Cox with 4 goals.

CURRENT MATCH ODDS
MK Dons 11/8 (888 Sport) Draw 5/2 (Stan James) Southend 23/10 (Paddy Power)

FAMOUS FANS
I’m dedicating this section to those Southend fans that left Wembley with just minutes to go in extra time in the playoff final in 2013 versus Wycombe Wanderers, with virtually the last kick of the game Joe Pigott equalised to send it to penalties which they won, many Southend fans missed their moment in history, although many ran back to the stadium to see the dramatic end.

LAST TIME ROUND
Saturday 17th April 2017 – Southend 1 MK Dons 2
Team – Nicholls, Lewington, Reeves (Tilney), GB Williams, Barnes, O’Keefe, Potter, Upson, Agard (Muirhead), Brittain (Baldock)
Unused Subs – Martin, Downing, Rasulo, Thomas-Asante
Goals – Walsh 53’, Reeves 62’, Cox 90’
Referee – Andy Haines (3 yellows)
Attendance – 9,009

HEAD 2 HEAD
2016/17 – Southend 1 MK Dons 2 (Walsh, Reeves)
2016/17 – MK Dons 0 Southend 3
2010/11 – MK Dons 3 Southend 1 (Carrington 2, Townsend)
2010/11 – Southend 2 MK Dons 1 (Baldock)
2010/11 – MK Dons 2 Southend 0 (Doran-Cogan, Carrington) JPT
2008/09 – Southend 0 MK Dons 2 (Wright 2)
2008/09 – MK Dons 2 Southend 0 (O’Hanlon, Baldock)
2005/06 – MK Dons 2 Southend 1 (Smith, Taylor)
2005/06 – Southend 0 MK Dons 0
2005/06 – Southend 1 MK Dons 2 (Mcleod, Smith) FA Cup

YOU’VE GO NO HISTORY
Founded 19 May 1906 in the Blue Boar pub, Southend has been a member of the Football League since 1920. The club has spent most of its League career in the English lower divisions.

The club is based at Roots Hall Stadium in Prittlewell, with plans to move to a new stadium at Fossetts Farm.

The club has played at five grounds: the original Roots Hall, the Kursaal, the Greyhound Park, the rented Writtle Street (home of Chelmsford City F.C.) and again at Roots Hall.

Until 1988 Roots Hall was still the newest ground in the Football League.

On 24 January 2007, Southend Borough Council unanimously agreed to give planning permission for a new 22,000-seater stadium at the proposed Fossetts Farm site, with Rochford District Council following suit 24 hours later. The application was subsequently submitted to Ruth Kelly, then Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, for government approval. However, the application was "called in" at the beginning of April 2007. The inquiry began in September 2007, followed in October 2007 by a "final" inquiry, when chairman Ron Martin called for supporters to show up in numbers at Southend's local government headquarters.

On 6 March 2008, permission to develop Fossetts Farm was given by the government.

To date the estimated £80m 22,000 capacity complex is still unstarted.

PREDICTION
That’s it my friends, now get your predictions in, whilst observing all the rules, and remembering the deadline of 1 hour before kick-off.
Good Luck

8-) WellDon

EXAMPLE
MK DONS 2 SOUTHEND 0
MKDFGS - Agard

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:26 am 
MKD 2-1 Southend

FGS Ariyibi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:55 am 

1-0
Chucks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:12 pm