THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 6:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:31 am 

So, how many of the reported attendance of 573 didn’t show yesterday?

I suspect that was tickets sold rather than actual attendance. Quite a few I know had bought previously but didn’t make the trip once it became a dead rubber, and only those fussed about the Tick, had already bought train tickets, or had convinced the missus with a trip to Betty’s Tea Rooms and a night away, actually bothered.

Strange that North Yorkshire Police thought it warranted the huge police presence. They obviously expected it to be a crucial match a few weeks ago, put a big operation in place, but then didn’t think to themselves last week “this is a nothing game now. Maybe we scale back the meat wagons, and plod on overtime and save the tax payer a few quid”. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:29 am 

I worked over time, and decided not to do Harrogate after Notts. The tick was needed but ultimately wasn't worth what it'd cost for what it'd be - was a good game but if I've got to fork out for a Northern away match in the playoffs I know which one needs to be done

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:31 am 

Alby39 wrote:
I worked over time, and decided not to do Harrogate after Notts. The tick was needed but ultimately wasn't worth what it'd cost for what it'd be - was a good game but if I've got to fork out for a Northern away match in the playoffs I know which one needs to be done

Not taken many away games so we are going to aim for the play off one and Wembley maybe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:39 pm 

It was an easy awayday by train (despite Northern Trains contriving to make me miss my connection at York). MK - Manchester, Manchester - Leeds (trans pennine), Leeds - Harrogate, Harrogate - York (missed 20 min connection by 1 minute), York - KX (by Grand Central Railways, a first for me, nice train), Euston back to MK.

A grand day out (to nick a phrase from Wallace and Grommit)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:02 pm 

voxish wrote:
It was an easy awayday by train (despite Northern Trains contriving to make me miss my connection at York). MK - Manchester, Manchester - Leeds (trans pennine), Leeds - Harrogate, Harrogate - York (missed 20 min connection by 1 minute), York - KX (by Grand Central Railways, a first for me, nice train), Euston back to MK.

I always pick crap Grand Central trains so you got lucky. I got a cheap 1st class trip in December with them and was looking forward to it. Waiter service consisted of a bloke wandering up and down with a cardboard box of lime (Yes lime) flavoured crisps or shortbread biscuits ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:43 am 

midfielder wrote:
voxish wrote:

I always pick crap Grand Central trains so you got lucky. I got a cheap 1st class trip in December with them and was looking forward to it. Waiter service consisted of a bloke wandering up and down with a cardboard box of lime (Yes lime) flavoured crisps or shortbread biscuits ;)

Ha - yes it was fine on our class 180 5 car unit (but no snacks from York to London despite evidence that they were dished out earlier in the journey, which was a bit poor). Definitely more comfortable seats than the Azumo but to be fair that wouldn't take much. Good real ale and a pie at the York Tap made the hour wait more enjoyable.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:51 am 

voxish wrote:
midfielder wrote:
voxish wrote:

Ha - yes it was fine on our class 180 5 car unit (but no snacks from York to London despite evidence that they were dished out earlier in the journey, which was a bit poor). Definitely more comfortable seats than the Azumo but to be fair that wouldn't take much. Good real ale and a pie at the York Tap made the hour wait more enjoyable.

Blimey I think you are all very brave trusting trains

Even back from London a few weeks ago took me 3 hours to get back as Euston was Armegeddon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:08 pm 

Leighton wrote:
voxish wrote:
midfielder wrote:
voxish wrote:

Even back from London a few weeks ago took me 3 hours to get back as Euston was Armegeddon

I've commuted to town for years - yes there's always the occasional epic but generally it's fine. Trouble is there's no good alternative route if the WCML is shut down - Flitwick is 25 mins drive if somebody was around to pick me up (or vice versa). When EWR is properly up and running, Bedford or Aylesbury (or even Bicester) will be viable alternatives.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:01 pm 

voxish wrote:
Leighton wrote:
voxish wrote:
midfielder wrote:
voxish wrote:

I've commuted to town for years - yes there's always the occasional epic but generally it's fine. Trouble is there's no good alternative route if the WCML is shut down - Flitwick is 25 mins drive if somebody was around to pick me up (or vice versa). When EWR is properly up and running, Bedford or Aylesbury (or even Bicester) will be viable alternatives.

I'm afraid I'll always be a driver....even going into London for touristy things with kids we now drive...the South Bank National Theatre is actually a great spot to park

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:34 pm 

Camdenite wrote:
So, how many of the reported attendance of 573 didn’t show yesterday?

I suspect that was tickets sold rather than actual attendance. Quite a few I know had bought previously but didn’t make the trip once it became a dead rubber, and only those fussed about the Tick, had already bought train tickets, or had convinced the missus with a trip to Betty’s Tea Rooms and a night away, actually bothered.

Strange that North Yorkshire Police thought it warranted the huge police presence. They obviously expected it to be a crucial match a few weeks ago, put a big operation in place, but then didn’t think to themselves last week “this is a nothing game now. Maybe we scale back the meat wagons, and plod on overtime and save the tax payer a few quid”. :roll:

Strange you should mention that, the Head Steward stood next to me and he commented what a good following we had……I said how many……his reply 433……I just thought I misheard when I saw 573.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9