THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 30 years on
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:20 am 

How fitting it would be to have a good cup run 30 years after we won the competition.

Post subject: Re: 30 years on
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:26 am 

Ok I'll bite. But Wimbledon won the FA Cup, not us.

I'd be happy with reaching the quarter finals, that would be our furthest progression yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:32 am 

FilthyDon wrote:

I'd be happy with reaching the quarter finals, that would be our furthest progression yet.

One thing we disagree on then. we were renamed not formed, if we were formed, we would have had to start at the bottom (or the middle like KFC) of the pyramid, as we were renamed we retained our league place.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:36 am 

Bill wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:

One thing we disagree on then. we were renamed not formed, if we were formed, we would have had to start at the bottom (or the middle like KFC) of the pyramid, as we were renamed we retained our league place.

But we handed all of the Wimbledon FC honours over to Merton Council and our club was founded in 2004. Why isn't there an FA Cup replica anywhere in Stadium MK?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:48 am 

I won't bite, each to their own. I don't claim anything but I won't condemn those who do.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:55 am 

I recall an article on the BBC website a few years ago called "A Tale of Three Clubs" - regarding us, Wimbledon and AFC....and I think this pretty much hits the nail on the head.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:03 am 

FilthyDon wrote:
Bill wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:

But we handed all of the Wimbledon FC honours over to Merton Council and our club was founded in 2004. Why isn't there an FA Cup replica anywhere in Stadium MK?

Pete has only tried to keep the peace, because of that looney lot. As he bought Wimbledon FC, we are entitled to claim the Cup win.
AFC are a new club - not a legal continuation of a previous one, so can't claim it in their history. Their fans saw (and supported) a different club in 1988.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:04 am 

FilthyDon wrote:
Bill wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:

Because Pete felt he had to give into the blackmail from KFC and Supporters Direct.

Pete applied to (and was granted permission from) the Football League to change the name not form a new club.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:06 am 

Bill wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:
Bill wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:

Because Pete felt he had to give into the blackmail from KFC and Supporters Direct.

Pete applied to (and was granted permission from) the Football League to change the name not form a new club.

Fair enough

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:30 pm 

Bill wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:
Bill wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:

We should probably keep our end of the bargain regardless of how it has been abused by others. I know I saw previous cup winners Wimbledon FC getting knocked out of the cup at Birmingham in January 2004 and that AFC Wimbledon were playing away at Farnham that day.