THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 2:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:45 am 

Runyak Huntz wrote:
I think an attitude of contempt is not the case, I personally believe that it's a complete lack of any connection with the fans and as a result, it would appear that nobody is aware of any problems.

Which is probably worse :lol:

Yeah, the impression I'm getting is that it's just down to poor planning and incompetence rather than anything deliberately malevolent.

I think what Filthy's driving at wrt contempt is because of the piss-poor communication. It's not that these issues/changes are being explained badly (except with the kit, which PW explained catastrophically badly). It's that they aren't being explained at all, which gives people the impression that the club thinks 'we're going to give you a substantially worse experience, and you will shut up and like it'.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:47 am 

BuckDon wrote:
Interestingly Luke Ashamed has Pete on the radio this evening. Maybe a few cheeky tweets to Luke may encourage some difficult questions?

Very unfortunate typo on Luke's name there. :lol:

I just can't be arsed to listen to Pete any more. Luke could go full Paxman on him tonight and Pete will just give the usual PR bluster and MK cheerleader act he always does.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:07 pm 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
BuckDon wrote:
Interestingly Luke Ashamed has Pete on the radio this evening. Maybe a few cheeky tweets to Luke may encourage some difficult questions?

Very unfortunate typo on Luke's name there. :lol:

I just can't be arsed to listen to Pete any more. Luke could go full Paxman on him tonight and Pete will just give the usual PR bluster and MK cheerleader act he always does.

Pete could fall into a Viper pit and come out wearing snake skin shoes. He can talk his way out of most things. Some of us can see through it though! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:42 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
I remember a fans forum that was streamed online (must have been during Covid), which allowed those that wouldn't usually attend to watch.

Cullen was the only one that came across well and answered questions with both knowledge and passion. Everyone else came across really poorly.

Think Cullen genuinely cared about making the club a success both on and off the pitch. The current mob (Sweeting excluded), only care about making StadiumMK an attractive venue for activities outside of football and have no care for the club at all.

Either Pete is of the same mindset now or he needs to step up and sort it out.

You've pretty much nailed the fundamental shift in philosophy there. It's been obvious to everyone (inside & outside) that the club relies upon the other business around s:mk to continue as a going concern. That won't come as a surprise to anyone, but what's changed is that the pressure on the football club to cut costs and and increase revenues. It really shouldnt still be such a drain on the groups profitability after 15 years in its new home. Pete said in that interview over ST price/changes to CR etc earlier this year that every aspect of the FC's business would be looked at, hence we have seen the measures we have over the course of this summer, and that inevitably included redundancies and a review of staffing levels.

I do actually agree with that approach. This club needs to stand on its own two feet, and whether that's by player sales or by charging for parking at cup games, I get it, but it's becoming increasingly obvious that the club has slashed costs in essential staffing areas too. We've been pretty much run on a skeleton staff since the covid redundancies of 2020 and things just don't seem be getting back to normal. Yes, maybe we were overstaffed in certain areas, but it seems to me that a lot of key people around the club have ended up taking extra responsibility and are now stretched to breaking point. There's no-one there to program the big screens. no-one there to check the database on season ticket dispatch, no-one to write a statement about why the cup game parking will no longer be free, no-one there to process the away tickets that arrived by courier two days ago, and even no-one there with enough time to be funny on the clubs social media accounts. It's just a cumulative effect of how few people are now employed by the FC.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:52 pm 

Who’d run a football club? Between a rock and a hard place.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:53 pm 

Camdenite wrote:
You've pretty much nailed the fundamental shift in philosophy there. It's been obvious to everyone (inside & outside) that the club relies upon the other business around s:mk to continue as a going concern. That won't come as a surprise to anyone, but what's changed is that the pressure on the football club to cut costs and and increase revenues. It really shouldnt still be such a drain on the groups profitability after 15 years in its new home. Pete said in that interview over ST price/changes to CR etc earlier this year that every aspect of the FC's business would be looked at, hence we have seen the measures we have over the course of this summer, and that inevitably included redundancies and a review of staffing levels.

I do actually agree with that approach. This club needs to stand on its own two feet, and whether that's by player sales or by charging for parking at cup games, I get it, but it's becoming increasingly obvious that the club has slashed costs in essential staffing areas too. We've been pretty much run on a skeleton staff since the covid redundancies of 2020 and things just don't seem be getting back to normal. Yes, maybe we were overstaffed in certain areas, but it seems to me that a lot of key people around the club have ended up taking extra responsibility and are now stretched to breaking point. There's no-one there to program the big screens. no-one there to check the database on season ticket dispatch, no-one to write a statement about why the cup game parking will no longer be free, no-one there to process the away tickets that arrived by courier two days ago, and even no-one there with enough time to be funny on the clubs social media accounts. It's just a cumulative effect of how few people are now employed by the FC.

All that makes sense from a strictly business POV. But this is all coming at a time when many (probably most) supporters are rightly looking more closely than ever at their discretionary spending.

Making massive cutbacks and cost-saving changes, many of which directly affect fans, could end up doing more harm than good if large numbers of people feel that they're paying a lot more and getting a lot less.

I've already noticed it when big PL games are on at the pub. People turn up one minute before kick-off, have two pints, and clear off the moment the final whistle goes. They're cutting back to the cheapest trip out they can get away with.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:21 pm 

dons50 wrote:
Who’d run a football club? Between a rock and a hard place.

Needs to get a bonsai tree instead.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:30 pm 

DippyDon wrote:
Filthier wrote:
Lots of comments on Twitter, wonder how long the club will take to respond and how they'll choose to do it.

It's not one thing (e.g. the extortionate prices for bad food), it's the sum of lots of things off the pitch that show a general attitude of contempt from the club towards supporters and a lack of desire to improve. Even if that's not the case, it doesn't feel like that to supporters and that's the issue.

I just hope Pete isn't wheeled out to give some feeble explanation again where he ultimately takes the blame and nothing comes of it.

This with bells and whistles on. Each individual issue I faced before 12:30 on Saturday aren't enough to cause up a massive stink about it, but it's the fact that there were so many things wrong one after the other that really wound me up and made it an extremely unenjoyable day.

Sorry to be a nerd but there is a bit of theory behind this and although Herzberg's Motivators and Hygiene Factors apply job, they can apply to other environments like this. :ugeek:

They are factors for satisfaction, so like the team doing well or a particular good game / goal and there are factors for dissatisfaction like poor & expensive food, bad experience with staff, car parking or not getting U8 shirts.

The club needs to take care off on field matters but just as important is off field matters. It's OK running a tight ship, but the club needs to run a happy ship or it will run aground. I suggest a Chief Operating Officer needs to take control and the club needs to focus on fans and what they want.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:04 pm 

Latest update

https://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/sport/fo ... ch-3797513

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:15 pm 

Camdenite wrote:
it seems to me that a lot of key people around the club have ended up taking extra responsibility and are now stretched to breaking point. There's no-one there to program the big screens. no-one there to check the database on season ticket dispatch, no-one to write a statement about why the cup game parking will no longer be free, no-one there to process the away tickets that arrived by courier two days ago, and even no-one there with enough time to be funny on the clubs social media accounts. It's just a cumulative effect of how few people are now employed by the FC.

If that’s true (and that’s my reading of the situation too) then why snub people volunteering to help ( stuffing envelopes with season tickets for example)?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next