THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: 30. Matt Dennis
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:01 pm 

What's the consensus on here with Dennis?

Jury is still out for me tbh. Hes picked up some goals recently, which will do wonders for his confidence, but he still frustrates me every time I watch him.

MW really has put a lot of faith in him, picking him ahead of Harrison and Tezgel, so Dennis is getting plenty of chances. Hes so raw and theres a lot of naivety to his game, but physically hes a real handful and he can score.

Hes still a WIP and "Rome weren't built in a day" and all that, but I am 50/50 on whether he sticks around next season (No idea on his contact situation). I am not sure he cuts it in L1 at this stage of his career IF we go up. Once you add the Irish trio to this list, you can see why we ended up in L2 and how unfair it was to have put any expectation on these guys.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:07 pm 

Ormeau wrote:
I'm going be that guy here but I think there is a good player in him but for whatever reason he has regressed a fair bit from the level we know he can hit. He was poor last night when he came on but we know in the past he has had the pace and power to cause defenders problems and he seems a decent finisher. Hopefully his poor display is down to lacking match fitness/ being out for a while. Regardless he needs to start improving fast.

Still think there is a good player in Dennis and he is starting to show it in recent weeks. It’s easy to forgot how young he is. In the last few games his finishing has been good and he has worked very hard for the team. Fair play to him and let’s hope it continues.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:41 pm 

He has improved no doubt, but he’s far from the finished article, I’m not sure how far he can go but league 2 looks his level, certainly at present.

He really should have scored when one on one with the Crewe keeper and somehow managed to put it wide, but credit to him he pushed on and did net two goals.

I can’t see him in the starting eleven once Max is up and running, if we go up I think Matt will be moved on along with Harrison, who really hasn’t done much at all when given the chance, I still think he was a last minute panic buy from Vale

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:42 pm 

Whatever the future holds for him with us, i love him! Easy to forget how hard theyve had it and how young some of these men are! Matt dennis is 21. 21. Fuck me when its your little brothers age and you see the difference it really hits home! My brother is still a teenager in my eyes and the shit the likes of dennis and burns and devoy etc have been through living away from home, under multiple managers and uncertainty snd such professional lows it makes me so happy to see them enjoying what may or may not be a purple patch.

I recall the dinosaur freezing dennis out and there were talks of attitude but that just strikes me as a dinosaur being so out of touch with the youth and culture of today!

I hope he can continue to enjoy a period of high here and kick on in his career with us or elsewhere if it comes to that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:23 am 

BuckDon wrote:
What's the consensus on here with Dennis?

Jury is still out for me tbh. Hes picked up some goals recently, which will do wonders for his confidence, but he still frustrates me every time I watch him.

MW really has put a lot of faith in him, picking him ahead of Harrison and Tezgel, so Dennis is getting plenty of chances. Hes so raw and theres a lot of naivety to his game, but physically hes a real handful and he can score.

Hes still a WIP and "Rome weren't built in a day" and all that, but I am 50/50 on whether he sticks around next season (No idea on his contact situation). I am not sure he cuts it in L1 at this stage of his career IF we go up. Once you add the Irish trio to this list, you can see why we ended up in L2 and how unfair it was to have put any expectation on these guys.

I think you've summed it up well. I hope he builds on recent performances and goes on to have a good career, whether that's with us or not.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:29 am 

He's still a kid and has plenty or time to improve, so I'm being patient with him. Hopefully the goals in the last few games will improve his confidence and he can hit a proper run of form.

I can totally see why MW is starting him whilst Max Dean is out. Out of the strikers we've got, he's probably the most similar to Dean in terms of chasing everything down and constantly running in behind. It's clear that's how he wants our strikers to play in this system.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:32 am 

Genuinely suprised - and pleasantly surprised - that he has started scoring and played himself into contention. The only times I have seen him "live" he didn't look like he could even play football - let alone professionally. Looking forward to seeing this "new" number 30 next time I'm at SMK.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:03 pm 

He, like nearly all of them have stepped up and what was a giant worry for me where the goals will come from have not really been a worry at all. IMO Dennis is slowly pushing his way in front of Harrison as our number 2 striker. I know its crazy to say it, but even when he wasn't at his best I saw effort, which is more than Harrison IMO

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6