THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:59 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: BBC bias
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:04 am 

What you have to remember is there are pundits who work for the BBC who happily propagate the myth that AFCW are some-sort of 'phoenix/saviour' club to all that's wrong with modern football. There's no research, no attempt to be impartial because that's the most sensationalist view that's possible. And that's why it's stuck.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:23 am 

I can see AFC's defence. The BBC and the Guardian back us, so we must be allowed to get away with anything we want to do. No doubt they will also call Adrian Durham as am expert witness.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:23 pm 

I haven't seen convincing evidence that there is an inherent media bias against MK Dons. It smacks of paranoia to me (and in the case of Galverion, who has previously stated his contempt for the BBC, confirmation bias).

That said, there is a bias in favour of the romantic, phoenix-club narrative. Journalists will always favour a good story. AFC are, in the eyes of most football fans, a good story. The David to our Goliath, the rags-to-riches to our trust fund, etc. We've heard it all before. Football journalists are all football fans, and have therefore absorbed some of these tropes, sometimes at the expense of absolute factual accuracy.

So I think there is a bias at play. Not against MK Dons, but in favour of the fluffy story.

Also, as a salient point, a journalist can hold a strong personal opinion - for example that MK Dons are everything that is wrong with football and AFC are the saviours - without that becoming a bias. IIRC Martin Samuel doesn't like us, but a few years ago he wrote a good article about the work Dan Micciche was doing with the academy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:17 pm 

Dion Dublin? Who gives a shit what a Homes Under the Hammer presenter thinks about football?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:52 am 

You just have to see how BBC reported and showed the Coventry goal, try it's best not to get any flares and show no fans on the pitch. They soon show MK Dons when something they do or is highlighted as wrong.

Also BBC are bad at giving any team places or tables in the league, until MK Dons manage to be in relegation, then they feature that big time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:04 am 

M34 wrote:
You just have to see how BBC reported and showed the Coventry goal, try it's best not to get any flares and show no fans on the pitch. They soon show MK Dons when something they do or is highlighted as wrong.

Also BBC are bad at giving any team places or tables in the league, until MK Dons manage to be in relegation, then they feature that big time.

Really!

Well, the report I watched on Auntie Beeb clearly showed both the flare (with Nichols clearly being referenced as having to make a clearance he'd rather not have done) and the pitch invasion. With footage of stewards manhandling pitch Invaders.

By all means be critical of the Beeb when it's factually incorrect, but there's little point in inventing a false narrative to suit your agenda. That's the sort of thing KFC would do. I genuinely thought we were above such nonsense.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:20 am 

Gers wrote:
M34 wrote:

Really!

Well, the report I watched on Auntie Beeb clearly showed both the flare (with Nichols clearly being referenced as having to make a clearance he'd rather not have done) and the pitch invasion. With footage of stewards manhandling pitch Invaders.

By all means be critical of the Beeb when it's factually incorrect, but there's little point in inventing a false narrative to suit your agenda. That's the sort of thing KFC would do. I genuinely thought we were above such nonsense.

It’s great how much we are agreeing recently.

Apparently.

UTF

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:22 am 

Alby wrote:
Gers wrote:
M34 wrote:

Really!

It’s great how much we are agreeing recently.

What! About Neil Lennon being an arse?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:44 am 

He’s a beautiful man

Apparently.

UTF

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:55 am 

Location: .... In SG19 ..... APL Champion 2017/18 Betting Champion 2019/20 Power of 3 Champion 2017/18 + 19/20
Gers wrote:
Is this the same BBC that makes Peaky Blinders, The Archers, The Today Programme, used to make Top Of The Pops, and stuff of that astonishingly high standard?

Is this the same public-funded NI & Income Tax-dodging complicit elitist agenda-ridden untrustworthily biased BBC that violates equal pay laws while overpaying its "talent" e.g Gary Lineker many times what other public servants eg. whoever the UK Prime Minister is at the time get paid, via payments to the "production companies" of the formerly employed but now "self-employed" overpaid "talent" & their tax-free "loans" which never get paid back to their offshore bank accounts? ;)

21/22 26 11 _9 89 LM 3rd

05/06 12 14 20 50 DW 22nd R
22/23 11 12 23 45 lm/MJ 21st R
17/18 11 12 23 45 rn/DM 23rd R
15/16 _9 12 25 39 KR 23rd R

LS: A rocky start, that's all it is.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next