THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: BBC bias
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:50 am 

jeoff82 wrote:
I meant that changing the name or dropping 'Dons' from the name might cause upset due to it being used for quite a long time now and the history that has been made in the meantime.

So you want to cause upset to our young fans? :?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:53 am 

The problem is 'drop the Dons' has always been a very small, vocal campaign which, apart from a select few who have their own reasons for doing it (benign but selfish reasons) just cannot get any traction. Even with Siobhain McDonangh MP on board it failed to get anywhere. In fact, it proved how vain and self-centered the whole exercise was/is.
The simple fact is 'Dons' is part of our name and is as integral to it as Wanderers is to Bolton or Athletic is to Charlton/Oldham. The majority just don't care about whether we keep it or drop it. The campaign to drop it is a busted flush and always will be.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:59 am 

I can see a scenario where an investor insisted we dropped the Dons as a condition for their investment. This could either because they wanted to incorporate part of their brand name in the title or because they saw "Dons" being slightly toxic in terms of their brand association. Hope it doesnt happen though.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:02 am 

familymkdonsfan wrote:
I can see a scenario where an investor insisted we dropped the Dons as a condition for their investment. This could either because they wanted to incorporate part of their brand name in the title or because they saw "Dons" being slightly toxic in terms of their brand association. Hope it doesnt happen though.

Even then Pete has promised it will only happen with the majority of the fans agreeing to it. A big ask.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:27 pm 

familymkdonsfan wrote:

So they call us a Franchise, and dropping the Dons to incorporate a sponsors name would not start that all over again?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:31 pm 

Location: .... In SG19 ..... APL Champion 2017/18 Betting Champion 2019/20 Power of 3 Champion 2017/18 + 19/20
jeoff82 wrote:
Durham wont say MK Dons because he thinks the club should ditch the connection with Wimbledon. In a way I think he he right, its time to move on. This club is in Milton Keynes and has a whole new young generation of fans who know nothing of the old Wimbledon and want to support their local team. When I take my son to watch the games and dont tell him about Wimbledon and their history, to me MK Dons is a different team. What are the positives in keeping the name and connection to Wimbledon?

:roll:

I agree.
It's more than a decade since Wimbledon began playing home games in Milton Keynes.
It's time to move on.
Let's change our name to reflect our new home in Milton Keynes - something more positive about Milton Keynes itself, that all local residents and the whole new young generations of fans growing up in the city can really identify with.

With more than 174,000 students enrolled, including a significant proportion of new undergraduates aged under 25, the Open University and its 1,000+ academic & research staff and over 2,500 administrative, operational and support staff based at the 48-hectare university campus at Walton Hall in Milton Keynes, is the largest academic institution in the UK by student number, and also one of the world's largest universities.

Let's change our name to Milton Keynes Dons, and properly honour the excellent tutoring provided by Milton Keynes' own Open University dons, and the first class academic institution we have here on our doorstep... :D

21/22 26 11 _9 89 LM 3rd

05/06 12 14 20 50 DW 22nd R
22/23 11 12 23 45 lm/MJ 21st R
17/18 11 12 23 45 rn/DM 23rd R
15/16 _9 12 25 39 KR 23rd R

LS: A rocky start, that's all it is.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:57 pm 

SG19 Cowshed Das Boot wrote:
jeoff82 wrote:
Durham wont say MK Dons because he thinks the club should ditch the connection with Wimbledon. In a way I think he he right, its time to move on. This club is in Milton Keynes and has a whole new young generation of fans who know nothing of the old Wimbledon and want to support their local team. When I take my son to watch the games and dont tell him about Wimbledon and their history, to me MK Dons is a different team. What are the positives in keeping the name and connection to Wimbledon?

I agree.
It's more than a decade since Wimbledon began playing home games in Milton Keynes.
It's time to move on.
Let's change our name to reflect our new home in Milton Keynes - something more positive about Milton Keynes itself, that all local residents and the whole new young generations of fans growing up in the city can really identify with.

With more than 174,000 students enrolled, including a significant proportion of new undergraduates aged under 25, the Open University and its 1,000+ academic & research staff and over 2,500 administrative, operational and support staff based at the 48-hectare university campus at Walton Hall in Milton Keynes, is the largest academic institution in the UK by student number, and also one of the world's largest universities.

Let's change our name to Milton Keynes Dons, and properly honour the excellent tutoring provided by Milton Keynes' own Open University dons, and the first class academic institution we have here on our doorstep... :D

:D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:57 pm 
Bill wrote:
Brando wrote:
From a news perspective, study after study has revealed a consistent right wing bias. It’s s big old place though, so there will be other areas where that’s not true, or where there is a left wing bias.

But we're the studies conducted by left wing bias researchers?

That’s the joy of peer review - it provides a mechanism for people to challenge.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:57 pm 

jeoff82 wrote:

I agree.
It's time to move on.

I work at the OU and the football team and the OU are not related in the slightest and they shouldn't be that sounds like clutching at straws

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:11 pm 

Bb56 wrote:
jeoff82 wrote:

I agree.
It's time to move on.

I work at the OU and the football team and the OU are not related in the slightest and they shouldn't be that sounds like clutching at straws

Dons don’t like having their legs pulled :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next