THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 12:06 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 8:30 pm 

Pseudonym wrote:
Thinking through what I saw last night:

1. Their keeper being allowed to bring the ball to the halfway line made little tactical difference other than time wasting. All he did was hoof it to just outside our box, which he could have done from his own box. Maybe made the hoofing a little more targeted, but hoofing it was.

2. Steals and second balls - they were well-drilled and were able to steal the ball from our toes too often and anticipated the second ball much better than us. I think their slightly smaller pitch had an effect. They were able to compact the midfield and were drilled to spring traps.

3. The smaller pitch also meant their high press was more effective. Add to that our doziness, and we were unable to play from the back until they sat back.

I am not going into the poor individual performances, or the woeful tactics where others have more eloquently made good points. The one thing I would say is that it was an error playing Norman and Tucker together. Norman CH and Lofthouse WB.

Our slightly bigger pitch (+474 sqm) will have a positive effect this Saturday. With more space to overcome their press and traps, we can put them on the defensive. We will score [several] goals. But we cannot afford to concede, what with our glass chin.

MW and this team need to SHOW UP big-time. Non of this bollox nonchalance. So do we fans - we all (players included) need to get over the disappointment and muster some belief.

Agreed...need some positivity

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 9:03 pm 

Leighton wrote:
Pseudonym wrote:

1. Their keeper being allowed to bring the ball to the halfway line made little tactical difference other than time wasting. All he did was hoof it to just outside our box, which he could have done from his own box. Maybe made the hoofing a little more targeted, but hoofing it was.

2. Steals and second balls - they were well-drilled and were able to steal the ball from our toes too often and anticipated the second ball much better than us. I think their slightly smaller pitch had an effect. They were able to compact the midfield and were drilled to spring traps.

3. The smaller pitch also meant their high press was more effective. Add to that our doziness, and we were unable to play from the back until they sat back.

I am not going into the poor individual performances, or the woeful tactics where others have more eloquently made good points. The one thing I would say is that it was an error playing Norman and Tucker together. Norman CH and Lofthouse WB.

Our slightly bigger pitch (+474 sqm) will have a positive effect this Saturday. With more space to overcome their press and traps, we can put them on the defensive. We will score [several] goals. But we cannot afford to concede, what with our glass chin.

MW and this team need to SHOW UP big-time. Non of this bollox nonchalance. So do we fans - we all (players included) need to get over the disappointment and muster some belief.

This.
Then we have the rest of the summer to moan to our hearts content :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 8:52 pm 

BuckDon wrote:
Leighton wrote:
Pseudonym wrote:

This.
Then we have the rest of the summer to moan to our hearts content :lol:

Plus ca change.....

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 10:09 pm 

midfielder wrote:
I still see 2-1

I see dead people.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 9:50 am 

PhilF wrote:
Crawley clearly did their analysis of our style and had a good strategy that was understood throughout their team. As much as I hate to say this, it was clever management and the game plan that made us look ordinary.

We need to be prepared for that so we have a Plan B, Plan C and maybe even a Plan D.

I don't think we can afford / should to leave that to the players to work out for themselves and yes the team need to go for it from the start. Despite being out strategised (Monday too IMO) the lads created some great chances, so yes I think they can do it and really hope they do. I'm certainly going to cheer them on. COYD

I really don't think it was their strategy that got us it was our own BS. I mean if I didn't know the starting 11 you wouldn't have known Payne or Wearne were on the pitch. The only reason you knew Gilbey was there was due to the fact the commentators made a big deal of him not being in the game. It was also two deflected goals which if hadn't been deflected could have been saved or missed. As for chances that's all hunky dory but 5 were on target. Four straight at Addai and one cleared off the line. I think Gatwick air traffic control are still waiting for Deans shot to come out of orbit so it can land on the tarmac. And don't forget when teams don't come at us and sit back we have pooped our pants. Grimsby springs to mind and Crawley won't care that it is dull they will ask us to unlock the door three times at least. So they will be quite happy to sit back and hit us on the counter.

Just go for it start with three strikers if we have to we lose by one we might as well lose by three. Get one or two before half time there will be a slim chance but if one game we need a clean sheet this is it.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 11:00 am 

With every passing hour I'm more confident we can do this

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 11:03 am 

CleanDon wrote:
With every passing hour I'm more confident we can do this

Great, well that's all the confirmation I need that we're getting battered 3-0 again then.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 11:04 am 

My pecker has just remarked, "Saturday will be a different kettle of fish." Although not sure he's referring to the football.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 11:36 am 

Russybcool wrote:
PhilF wrote:
Crawley clearly did their analysis of our style and had a good strategy that was understood throughout their team. As much as I hate to say this, it was clever management and the game plan that made us look ordinary.

We need to be prepared for that so we have a Plan B, Plan C and maybe even a Plan D.

I don't think we can afford / should to leave that to the players to work out for themselves and yes the team need to go for it from the start. Despite being out strategised (Monday too IMO) the lads created some great chances, so yes I think they can do it and really hope they do. I'm certainly going to cheer them on. COYD

I really don't think it was their strategy that got us it was our own BS. I mean if I didn't know the starting 11 you wouldn't have known Payne or Wearne were on the pitch. The only reason you knew Gilbey was there was due to the fact the commentators made a big deal of him not being in the game. It was also two deflected goals which if hadn't been deflected could have been saved or missed. As for chances that's all hunky dory but 5 were on target. Four straight at Addai and one cleared off the line. I think Gatwick air traffic control are still waiting for Deans shot to come out of orbit so it can land on the tarmac. And don't forget when teams don't come at us and sit back we have pooped our pants. Grimsby springs to mind and Crawley won't care that it is dull they will ask us to unlock the door three times at least. So they will be quite happy to sit back and hit us on the counter.

Just go for it start with three strikers if we have to we lose by one we might as well lose by three. Get one or two before half time there will be a slim chance but if one game we need a clean sheet this is it.

We can’t give up midfield by playing an extra striker. They killed us in midfield on Tuesday. To take numbers out of there would be suicide.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 11:50 am 

dons50 wrote:
Russybcool wrote:
PhilF wrote:

We can’t give up midfield by playing an extra striker. They killed us in midfield on Tuesday. To take numbers out of there would be suicide.

They didn't kill us as a team for the most part we were dogshit and I reiterate AS A TEAM. Look we have to score at least three maybe four goals. It doesn't matter how we usually play if we have a plan b or not we are in this mess cause we were awful not Crawley being world beaters. We only managed 5 shots on goal on Tuesday we would need all of them to be goals if we only have 5 shots on target tomorrow (I say all of them cause we never keep clean sheets). I mean what are we defending? A lead? Looking for league points? This is a one off game where we start with a 3 goal handicap. If that becomes four it won't be because of having one less non existent nobody in midfield it will solely be down to how woeful nearly every man on that pitch was last Tuesday. We have to go all out attack nothing else will do.