THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 9:14 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Mike Williamson
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 11:13 am 

Council Kev wrote:
If we don't go up hoping we can improve, like Stockport did this season and go one better. OK might have to rebuild without Dean. Scrapping almost all defenders and starting again. Tripp as key central defender, plus Waller, Ilunga, Scholtz in the squad, and Sandford as 2nd goalie.

Why have a youth team if they're not given a chance... Championship and even Premier League teams, like Brighton, seem more willing to blood youngsters. Soon youths won't want to join us, as stand better chance with teams in higher leagues, which is nuts.

Next season in League 2 will need a huge effort from all involved and substantial investment will be needed. Is PW able to do that? His comments about needing to be promoted concern me.

I believe the following players are out of contract in the summer and will likely leave, also including loan returns:

O'Hora
Harvie
Kelly
Robson
Dennis
Kemp
Lewington (Retire?)
Bate (loan)
Payne (Loan)
Lofthouse (Loan)
Marschall (Loan)
Stewart (Loan)
Tezgel (Loan)

We probably need to move on the following:

Tucker
Williams
Dean (not through choice)

That leaves us with a squad of:

McGillivary (Not wanted)
Norman
Tomlinson
Gilbey
Wearne
Tripp
Illunga
Harrison

It's pretty much a full rebuild in the summer. Get it wrong like we did in 22/23 and we'll be in serious trouble.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 11:18 am 

Russybcool wrote:
dons50 wrote:
Ormeau wrote:
Dad_Of_A_Don wrote:
Ormeau wrote:
Please tell me no one is seriously wanting MW to leave :shock:

No, I don't think so.

I wouldn't be heartbroken if he did but that doesn't mean I *want* him to go. He has done a good job here but there are red flags too. But I am looking forward to what he can do in the summer and next season.

If MW had been here since the start of the season and we failed to go up, that would be a huge failure marked against him. But the fact is he came in mid-way through, we were 15th or something and downtrodden by GA, and we have been much much better since. We just seem to lack bottle when the big games come.

More than anything this club needs some bloody stability to build upon. If MW was to leave it would be a disaster and mean a 5th manager in just over 2 seasons. During GA's tenure I accepted that promotion was gone. 0 Wins in 11, it was dreadful and we were beyond hopeless. MW really turned us around and got us playing much better football. Only two teams obtained more points than us in the league during his time here (Stockport and Wrexham) meaning we climbed the table, flirted with promotion and ultimately finished in the playoffs. This seemed like an impossible prospect during that dreadful home game against Barrow under GA.

Has MW got things perfect? No he hasn't. But what manager ever does? I am minded to point to Arsenal's form under Arterta when he first joined. Go back and look it up they had a dreadful run of results, but they stuck with the plan and the process and its paying off for them now. It takes time to build a successful winning team. Now more than ever we need to back the process. Whatever happens on Saturday we need to stick with MW. I am confident that if we do the team will only improve, the problems will be resolved and we will become a very very good side.

I agree. We can’t keep sacking managers.

We can't but if he leaves what choice do we have. For some reason he is on Barnsley's radar, probably more so now they are out the play offs so come next week expect rumblings of him off to Yorkshire and the process starts a new

Fair point.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 11:20 am 

Read this week Stevenage are in contract talks with McGillivary, so must be on a 1 year deal with us.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 11:22 am 

I would keep Dennis. Looks like MW could convince him of his worth.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 11:36 am 

Council Kev wrote:
I would keep Dennis. Looks like MW could convince him of his worth.

I agree :shock:

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 6:22 pm 

After listening to MW’s presser just now, he is not filling me with confidence. Same old sound bites. No edge or conviction in his voice. Mostly though, it sounds like he is going to be approaching this match like all the others. No talk about turning the tables on Crawley’s tactics. Not that I expect details, but some hints that there are solutions to their tactics would build confidence and belief.

Instead it sounds like he is expecting the players to step up, whereas his coaching must shoulder a proportion of the blame for Tuesday. The players were following his tactics and instructions.

I hope I’m wrong.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 7:05 pm 

Pseudonym wrote:
After listening to MW’s presser just now, he is not filling me with confidence. Same old sound bites. No edge or conviction in his voice. Mostly though, it sounds like he is going to be approaching this match like all the others. No talk about turning the tables on Crawley’s tactics. Not that I expect details, but some hints that there are solutions to their tactics would build confidence and belief.

Instead it sounds like he is expecting the players to step up, whereas his coaching must shoulder a proportion of the blame for Tuesday. The players were following his tactics and instructions.

I hope I’m wrong.

He's not the most charismatic or open in the press to be honest. Not necessarily a bad thing, he just cuts a very calm figure, which has its pro's and con's. He's definitely not a fist pumper or anything along those lines, as you have seen from his cringe attempts, which he really doesn't want to do :lol:

Hopefully he has galvanised the players over the last few days and gee'd them up for tomorrow night.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 7:10 pm 

Pseudonym wrote:

I hope I’m wrong.

What he is saying behind closed doors will be different to what he says in a presser. He wont be publicly stating his tactics will he? Look at GA, he had no filter and ultimately lost the dressing room and his job.

Appreciate Tuesday was a disaster but this picking at MW is mad to me. We wouldn't be in the play offs if not for him.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 10:00 pm 

MW has all the charisma of a damp rag and the appearance of a low grade bank clerk.

Stadium MK is always SHITE in the Playoffs

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 7:47 am 

There is no doubt that the manager could send a glass eye to sleep with his media appearances - he is better off sticking his assistant forward for media duties who is infinitely more interesting and better to listen to. The manager is also inexperienced and stupidly stubborn and idealistic, which at times drives you mad. I have no doubt the wretched Tucker will be starting tonight despite having shown time and time again he is incapable of playing under pressure.

HOWEVER - I temper that with the fact he is still young and learning as a manager and I think he has got the potential to be a very good manager. I would hate for him to leave as I think there is a lot more to come from him - with a few new additions in the summer, a rebuild of the central defence and a half decent goalie we have a good shot of promotion again next season- I would not be as confident if we had another manager coming in for next season.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6