THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 11:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mike Williamson
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 7:51 am 

Zen wrote:
The defending has been abysmal in the last couple of months. So casual and weak. We binned off Tommy smith and Antony Stewart who aren’t footballers who can tap it about by any means, but who can head it , boot it and mark properly. Stewart dominated us for Wycombe in the play offs 2 years ago. Instead we end up with the failed back line that caved in last season - O’Hora, tucker, harvie and a half fit lewington. That defence was a joke last season and has been yet again. Tucker- I am done with this guy. He was hopeless in both boxes last night, he is like a schoolboy.

All of this is correct. It is like conceding 10 goals in 3 games is acceptable. Especially 4 conceded against a Sutton side who went down. I don't like to be right, but I have been saying this all season that the crack papering doesn't change 8 or 9 clean sheets all season out of 46 is abysmal. You build from the back surely. If you have a rock tight defence then maybe you sneak 1-0 wins here and there. You also have to get more on target we seem to have loads of shots from outside the box that either go flying over or wide. Can't score if you don't get many on target.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 7:52 am 

dons50 wrote:
We seem to be scapegoating the defence, and even the keeper, but it’s the midfield that got outplayed last night.

As the young folks say, this. Absolutely appalling.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 7:55 am 

dons50 wrote:
We seem to be scapegoating the defence, and even the keeper, but it’s the midfield that got outplayed last night.

What did Kelly do wrong? Two deflections and a unmarked player for the free kick. I am sorry but the defence hasn't been good all season I am not scapegoating them for last night, just the whole season they to a man have been pathetic. Even mr dependable Lewington had a mare at the turn of the year. You are right about the midfield, but they were shit last night. It's like if Gilbey plays badly they all do. Not one of them stepped up last night anywhere on the pitch, but the defence all season have been appalling.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 8:06 am 

[quote="Dad_Of_A_Don"]At least this should stop Barnsley from following-up on their interest. Let's see what he does next season and who he and Sweeting can bring in. It'll either be blockbuster or he'll be gone before Christmas.[/quote]
Hear hear. Silver linings and all that. :D ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 8:43 am 

The defence absolutely has to be our main priority over the summer. If we want to go up next season, we simply have to tighten up at the back. Harvie isn't a centre-half, Tucker is just not good enough when the pressure is on (we've seen that both last season and this season), O'Hora is nowhere near the level he once was and I suspect he'll be off in the summer. Beyond that we've got Lewie, who we all love but he'll be turning 40 in a couple of weeks time, he can't go on forever. And then we're looking at dropping the likes of MJ into the back 3. It's really no surprise we leak goals.

Whatever you made of Paul Tisdale, the first thing he did when he came in and he was trying to get us out of this league, was tighten us up at the back. Brought in very solid defenders like Jordan Moore-Taylor and Russell Martin. Stopped us conceding goals and from there we could nick games 1-0 or 2-0. It's much easier to get promoted if you don't have to score 4 or 5 to win a game. The worry is that MW seems more bothered about having defenders who can pass the ball, rather than defenders who can defend.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 11:35 am 

DonnieAndMooie wrote:
The defence absolutely has to be our main priority over the summer. If we want to go up next season, we simply have to tighten up at the back. Harvie isn't a centre-half, Tucker is just not good enough when the pressure is on (we've seen that both last season and this season), O'Hora is nowhere near the level he once was and I suspect he'll be off in the summer. Beyond that we've got Lewie, who we all love but he'll be turning 40 in a couple of weeks time, he can't go on forever. And then we're looking at dropping the likes of MJ into the back 3. It's really no surprise we leak goals.

Whatever you made of Paul Tisdale, the first thing he did when he came in and he was trying to get us out of this league, was tighten us up at the back. Brought in very solid defenders like Jordan Moore-Taylor and Russell Martin. Stopped us conceding goals and from there we could nick games 1-0 or 2-0. It's much easier to get promoted if you don't have to score 4 or 5 to win a game. The worry is that MW seems more bothered about having defenders who can pass the ball, rather than defenders who can defend.

Another accurate assessment and one I agree on. I will say that he has done a decent job with tools that for the majority wasn't his and I assume there was no budget to get another defender in during January. Even though one defender left and one who is on loan never got used and should have been sent back. It's a massive summer for Sweeting and Williamson. It's one I hope they are both up to the task. It's like the shit storm of last seasons signing are still stinking up the place.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 6:21 pm 

If MW did go (Highly unlikely), I think Scott Lindsay would be high on the list, especially if Crawley don't go up.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 7:09 pm 

DonnieAndMooie wrote:

Whatever you made of Paul Tisdale, the first thing he did when he came in and he was trying to get us out of this league, was tighten us up at the back. Brought in very solid defenders like Jordan Moore-Taylor and Russell Martin. Stopped us conceding goals and from there we could nick games 1-0 or 2-0.

Yes. It wasn't exciting but it got us promoted from League Two. Difficult to beat is better than a 4-0 followed by a 0-4.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 7:54 pm 

The other obvious thing about MW is his lack of personality. Not dissimilar from when Manning was here, it's easy to enjoy his football when we're winning, but when we start losing games he's not got a lot of personality for us to get behind. His interviews are uninspiring to say the least. That's not to say he can't be a good football manager, and shouldn't be given a chance, but I think people's patience will run out quicker than if he had the personality of someone like Robbo.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 8:11 pm 

Russybcool wrote:
DonnieAndMooie wrote:

Another accurate assessment and one I agree on. I will say that he has done a decent job with tools that for the majority wasn't his and I assume there was no budget to get another defender in during January. Even though one defender left and one who is on loan never got used and should have been sent back. It's a massive summer for Sweeting and Williamson. It's one I hope they are both up to the task. It's like the shit storm of last seasons signing are still stinking up the place.

I'd still rather watch MW's team than Tisdale's team.
MW played with players who were wing/full backs at Gateshead so I think he'll stick with it next season. O'Hora will be gone and I really hope Tucker isn't the only recognised CB playing

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next