THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 10:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: defence
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:28 pm 

Also, not sure how much we can read into this but Tucker was playing in the middle of the three prior to his injury and looked good. Since he's been back he's been out on the right. He's struggled particularly at one-on-one defending so I wonder if he'd be more suited in the middle.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:37 pm 

DonnieAndMooie wrote:
Also, not sure how much we can read into this but Tucker was playing in the middle of the three prior to his injury and looked good. Since he's been back he's been out on the right. He's struggled particularly at one-on-one defending so I wonder if he'd be more suited in the middle.

I wouldn't want to move O'Hora out ofa back three and didn't he make a big howler in the middle against Barnsley.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:43 pm 

ReturnofMoo wrote:
DonnieAndMooie wrote:

I wouldn't want to move O'Hora out ofa back three and didn't he make a big howler in the middle against Barnsley.

I was expecting Tucker to take over in the middle when he came back from injury. Probably too late to start changing anything now though.

Norman is the better defender and during his most recent stint in RCB, saved us a number of times. He should probably play ahead of Tucker, but unlikely to.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:06 pm 

The defending was truly awful today. We have been hopeless back there since tucker came back in. He has to be dropped.

We were so bad today back there I would start against Crawley with a defence of Tripp/ Stewart/ Norman ! Sutton should have scored 10 today- Kelly kept us in it and they missed a few sitters.

Harvie is having a very poor run as well.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:03 pm 

Oakeedokee wrote:
20 goals conceded in the last 8 games.
10 goals conceded in the previous 8 games.
10 goals conceded in the 8 games before that.
Something has gone seriously wrong at the back recently, I can't quite put my finger on it.
Tucker has only been back for the last few games but we have conceded 14 goals in the 5 games since his return.
I'm not saying it's all due to him but maybe his return has unsettled a back line who had become used to each others game?

I do agree that the defence has looked awful, but I think it has been for a long time and we've been a bit fortunate that many attackers are equally crap

Worth mentioning that in our previous 8 games we've played - 1st, 3rd, 3 teams in play off contention, the 3rd top scorers in the division and had essentially a play off warm up game against a team desperate for a win to survive. Still not good enough but always important to add a bit of context in there too.

It is quite remarkable looking at the table actually. Goals conceded by teams in the play offs - 65, 67, 68 and 68 compared to 2018/19 when we were last in this division - 41, 47, 50 and 59. Only one team in the top 14 conceded more than 60 that season. Defending getting worse? Big scorelines due to better strikers?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:36 am 

ReturnofMoo wrote:
Clearly not our only weakness but Tucker has a mistake in him and if he can't concentrate for 90+ minutes Norman ought to be considered. Robson's form has been poor too.

Looking at the tackles, interception and block stats, MW will have big call to play Tucker or Norman RCB.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:23 am 

Filip would have saved them, fact

Stadium MK is always SHITE in the Playoffs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:10 am 

I agree Norman over Tucker. Only because Tucker is not match sharp and Norman adds strength in defence and attack.

O'Hora's head goes very quickly in games. He is a weak link at the moment.

But (as has always been our problem), it is more about the DM. Folk were quick to criticise Tucker in the past, but failed to notice the multiple opportunities our midfield had to clear balls. Tucker on numerous occasions has had to face two or three by himself and often managed a tackle. Their third came from no-one tracking their free player around the penalty spot. Bate was closest, but showed no intention to bust a gut and try a block.

Its definitely a training and mind/attitude thing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:11 pm 

During the game I felt Kelly was at fault for both of their first two goals and seeing the highlights hasn’t changed my mind. I agree that he made some excellent saves but that doesn’t excuse him for letting in a couple of poor ones.

I certainly wouldn’t want Marschall to replace him and I think he’s worth sticking with longer term but those were disappointing lapses.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:23 pm 

Bedfordian wrote:
During the game I felt Kelly was at fault for both of their first two goals and seeing the highlights hasn’t changed my mind. I agree that he made some excellent saves but that doesn’t excuse him for letting in a couple of poor ones.

I certainly wouldn’t want Marschall to replace him and I think he’s worth sticking with longer term but those were disappointing lapses.

It was quite comical really. He made some very good saves, including one bizarre one after Tucker lost the ball (again) with their player having an open goal and he managed to some how heel it round the post. Only to then be beaten at his near post by a shot that wasn't even from close range.

A mixture of very good goalkeeping coupled with very poor goalkeeping.