THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 7:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 463 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 47  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:20 am 

cornerdon26 wrote:
After 30 odd threads, a few days and however many tweets I have to say I'm still unsure how I feel about the decision

On one hand I get the intention of Winky. He's trying to push for a better atmosphere at the stadium, the idea of condensing fans should help achieve that and for the last decade many fans on every platform have suggested that closing the corners can achieve that.

However, as my name suggests, I sit in the corner. I no longer attend games as I left England however I truly don't believe anyone who has sat around me for the last decade will significantly contribute to a better atmosphere. I like my view, I like the people I sit with and fuck it, whilst I love falling over in crazy celebrations on away games I actually quite like the peacefulness of where I sit at home games. Sorry, maybe I'm a happy clappy. But over a decade sitting there, many emails and online posts pushing no to close the corner (with some success) shows there's more of us.

I just feel Winky is now in a position of 'damned if he does, damned if he doesn't'. So many of our fan base are desperate to call him out for anything and everything these days - and to an extent some of it is justified.

I understand why he wants to do something to improve the atmosphere. I understand why he has closed the corners as so many fans have been desperate for it to happen for years. However I feel this wasn't well thought out, it will piss people off, and my 60 year old parents who prefer the view will not make any more noise by being sat behind the goal than they do now because they will still rather enjoy their soup from a thermos than stand up chanting anthems.

Yup, this is the thing. No one who is a club red regular or even east stand regular is suddenly going to become a vocal supporter. I sit in East Wing and the most I do is clap. I'm not a vocal supporter in terms of singing, it's not something I enjoy. I really enjoy it when the Cowshed are loud though and that would have been the case without these unnecessary changes.

I recall the Wycombe semi-final home game being a fantastic atmosphere, despite going into the game 2-0 down. It's almost as if PW is blaming the fans for not being supportive enough during that match and the reason we couldn't find a second goal.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:22 am 

My dickage has no issues, but as others have commented, surprised 8 and 9 are shut. Unless hopes can play one side off against the other for noise, which can't see an advantage.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:23 am 

East Wing Don wrote:
cornerdon26 wrote:
After 30 odd threads, a few days and however many tweets I have to say I'm still unsure how I feel about the decision

On one hand I get the intention of Winky. He's trying to push for a better atmosphere at the stadium, the idea of condensing fans should help achieve that and for the last decade many fans on every platform have suggested that closing the corners can achieve that.

However, as my name suggests, I sit in the corner. I no longer attend games as I left England however I truly don't believe anyone who has sat around me for the last decade will significantly contribute to a better atmosphere. I like my view, I like the people I sit with and fuck it, whilst I love falling over in crazy celebrations on away games I actually quite like the peacefulness of where I sit at home games. Sorry, maybe I'm a happy clappy. But over a decade sitting there, many emails and online posts pushing no to close the corner (with some success) shows there's more of us.

I just feel Winky is now in a position of 'damned if he does, damned if he doesn't'. So many of our fan base are desperate to call him out for anything and everything these days - and to an extent some of it is justified.

I understand why he wants to do something to improve the atmosphere. I understand why he has closed the corners as so many fans have been desperate for it to happen for years. However I feel this wasn't well thought out, it will piss people off, and my 60 year old parents who prefer the view will not make any more noise by being sat behind the goal than they do now because they will still rather enjoy their soup from a thermos than stand up chanting anthems.

Yup, this is the thing. No one who is a club red regular or even east stand regular is suddenly going to become a vocal supporter. I sit in East Wing and the most I do is clap. I'm not a vocal supporter in terms of singing, it's not something I enjoy. I really enjoy it when the Cowshed are loud though and that would have been the case without these unnecessary changes.

I recall the Wycombe semi-final home game being a fantastic atmosphere, despite going into the game 2-0 down. It's almost as if PW is blaming the fans for not being supportive enough during that match and the reason we couldn't find a second goal.

Yup. But if we lose the home game vs Crawley and the atmosphere falls flat I bet there will be retrospective call for Winky to have done something

For me just give out all the cheap tickets. We get mocked for it enough, but just embrace it. Get anyone in there we can and hope it fills some gaps. Every kids team who have been before, any season ticket holders who want to bring a friend, anyone who has ever performed at the club. Bring them in.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:26 am 

cornerdon26 wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
cornerdon26 wrote:

Yup. But if we lose the home game vs Crawley and the atmosphere falls flat I bet there will be retrospective call for Winky to have done something

For me just give out all the cheap tickets. We get mocked for it enough, but just embrace it. Get anyone in there we can and hope it fills some gaps. Every kids team who have been before, any season ticket holders who want to bring a friend, anyone who has ever performed at the club. Bring them in.

You can't give out cheap or free tickets though. Anything like that has to be approved by the other 3 teams in the play offs. One of the reason we were able to release tickets so quickly is we stuck to our standard pricing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:29 am 

East Wing Don wrote:
cornerdon26 wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
cornerdon26 wrote:

You can't give out cheap or free tickets though. Anything like that has to be approved by the other 3 teams in the play offs. One of the reason we were able to release tickets so quickly is we stuck to our standard pricing.

I actually didn't realise that, my mistake

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:42 am 

East Wing Don wrote:
Alby39 wrote:
In fairness they did put it on one of their promos and have liked/retweeted DA's posts.
It's an independent campaign, think the club have respected that and the little bits they can do to help is welcomed as with everyone's help.

I agree. I also think if the club just ran with #DonYourWhite, they'd get stick for stealing DA's idea.

I think two campaigns is fine. It's clear to see how well DA are doing on their promotion, so the club are happy to leave them to it. They're not mutually exclusive and both drive a different incentive. Hoping we'll have a loud stadium (despite PW closing half of it) and a lot of white shirts.

These are both fair points. But there's a balance in the middle that they could have gone for and didn't.

How hard would it have been for the club to have come out and publicly said "we're backing DonsAction's campaign" and get behind it? That's exactly what happened ten years ago this week when we did Orange4Lewie - Andy Cullen and Ben Campbell were great back then, giving us loads of support while acknowledging it was a fan-led thing. There was no politics involved at all.

"Shut the fuck up, you sausage!"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:45 am 

Tickets on general sale for less than 2 hours and Block 11 is already sold out.

Fair play DonsAction

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:15 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
cornerdon26 wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
cornerdon26 wrote:

Which brings me on to another point. The gate money is collected together and split between the other clubs in the play offs. Now, why in gods green earth would us want to fund more money to Crawley? Even if they packed their ground they would only get 6K. Even Donny and Crewe are only 10K capacity. We get 6k on a bad day and I expect much more than our average Saturday gate (especially if we do have one foot in Wembley). We have more attending is great for the cameras and the so called atmosphere, but it is also great for the other three clubs in the play offs who reap the rewards of us being capable to have 30k people in our ground. I know it is a slight point and if we have loads in the ground then brilliant, but this whole splitting the money thing narks me a little. But it could be a hidden reason as to why he has closed where he has closed. If you are not getting all the money why turn the lights on in certain parts of the ground and why hire staff for club red etc.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:32 pm 

Russybcool wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
cornerdon26 wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
cornerdon26 wrote:

Which brings me on to another point. The gate money is collected together and split between the other clubs in the play offs. Now, why in gods green earth would us want to fund more money to Crawley? Even if they packed their ground they would only get 6K. Even Donny and Crewe are only 10K capacity. We get 6k on a bad day and I expect much more than our average Saturday gate (especially if we do have one foot in Wembley). We have more attending is great for the cameras and the so called atmosphere, but it is also great for the other three clubs in the play offs who reap the rewards of us being capable to have 30k people in our ground. I know it is a slight point and if we have loads in the ground then brilliant, but this whole splitting the money thing narks me a little. But it could be a hidden reason as to why he has closed where he has closed. If you are not getting all the money why turn the lights on in certain parts of the ground and why hire staff for club red etc.

Although the money is split it is only after costs so no real reason to try and limit sales

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:46 pm 

MKAylesburyDon wrote:
Russybcool wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
cornerdon26 wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
cornerdon26 wrote:

Although the money is split it is only after costs so no real reason to try and limit sales

OK not to limit sales, but to limit areas of the ground. I am too cynical to believe this is going to improve atmosphere. You have 10K in there and only 1 maybe 2k making noise there is still the same 8k who sit and watch the game in silence (which is their prerogative. I have zero issue with them being silent, just saying it make zero difference where they are). It was never about atmosphere. It was never about looking good for cameras. I am afraid like most things it was saving money by herding us in like cattle. I doubt they would even turn the concourse lights on in areas where nobody is and they definitely will have queues for food as kiosks will open ones will be at a premium with limited stock don't forget as what they don't sell will get wasted. Surely more areas open means more overheads which in turn leads to less money for us despite probably making the most out of the four play off clubs. I can't remember exactly as I didn't go, but I do not remember this two seasons ago when things were rosy and Winkelman wasn't being tighter than a nuns you know what.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 463 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 47  Next