THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Playoff mentality
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:06 am 

#UKTrains

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:44 pm 

Alby39 wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
midfielder wrote:
We have nearly always gone into the play-offs thinking we would/should make it to the final because we'd either had the better season or thought we would safely win over 2 legs. That was clearly bollocks..

Yup. May be wrong but haven't we been favourites pretty much every year we've gone into the play offs? We almost feel like we have one foot into Wembley already, yet haven't made it once.

I'm really struggling to envisage anything other than what happened to us in the first leg against Wycombe, if anything I feel it'll be worse based on how we've been away from home this season. There is already this massive drive for 'Don Your White' (which I am not against and support the effort) but I massively worry the tie will be over by then already.

I think we need to promote the away leg in equal measure and get as much support as possible. That is when they REALLY need us.

They 'really' need us in both games. We don't know the state of things yet. In all liklihood we'll take a good crowd to the away game, and once tickets are out we'll promote them - it's Bank Holiday Monday and there's a chance for short trips to Crewe or Crawley, which won't be too hard to sell our allocation. It's easier to promote a campaign when it's on your doorstep and we know when and where the game will be played

I hope we do take a large away following

I'd quite fancy it but I probably need to choose between the away leg or Wembley.....I'm holding out for Wembley ....hope I get to spend the money there!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:53 pm 

Leighton wrote:
Alby39 wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
midfielder wrote:
We have nearly always gone into the play-offs thinking we would/should make it to the final because we'd either had the better season or thought we would safely win over 2 legs. That was clearly bollocks..

Yup. May be wrong but haven't we been favourites pretty much every year we've gone into the play offs? We almost feel like we have one foot into Wembley already, yet haven't made it once.

I'm really struggling to envisage anything other than what happened to us in the first leg against Wycombe, if anything I feel it'll be worse based on how we've been away from home this season. There is already this massive drive for 'Don Your White' (which I am not against and support the effort) but I massively worry the tie will be over by then already.

I think we need to promote the away leg in equal measure and get as much support as possible. That is when they REALLY need us.

They 'really' need us in both games. We don't know the state of things yet. In all liklihood we'll take a good crowd to the away game, and once tickets are out we'll promote them - it's Bank Holiday Monday and there's a chance for short trips to Crewe or Crawley, which won't be too hard to sell our allocation. It's easier to promote a campaign when it's on your doorstep and we know when and where the game will be played

I hope we do take a large away following

I'd quite fancy it but I probably need to choose between the away leg or Wembley.....I'm holding out for Wembley ....hope I get to spend the money there!

Don't hold out for anything - that's exactly the mentality that messes with your mind and expectations.
Adopting good manager's approaches, only think about the next game....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:54 pm 

Alby39 wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
midfielder wrote:

Yeah for sure, I definitely wasn't implying that they didn't need us at home. I just feel that I am seeing a lot of stuff for the home game at the moment, but if we're not careful, the tie is already over by then.

Seen quite a few calls from fans on Twitter to start selling tickets already and to start promoting the game. I don't think selling tickets would even be possible yet. All 4 teams have to agree to the pricing and we don't even know the 3 other teams taking part yet.

I am critical of the club from a marketing perspective, but I'd be dead against them promoting the home leg at this stage with too much focus. We've still got 2 games to play before then. They should be trying to build excitement around the Sutton game. Lets get a big crowd in and get behind the players ahead of the play off campaign.

Great idea's like "Don Your White" are pointless if we start the home tie 5-0 down.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:05 pm 

Tell that to Sheffield Wednesday and Peterborough supporters. Positive thinking is needed from the start. If the players have the mindset of many of our supporters we might as well stop playing altogether and watch tiddlywinks on telly

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:15 pm 

As I said - promoting the home game is easy now because:
1. We know where it is being played.
2. We know when it is being played.
3. It's easier to promote things to locals for things that are local.
4. Wearing white is a simple way to be a part of something, and we hope everyone can play their part in unifying the fanbase for the home leg - but as you'll see, DA have other plans around MK for the game and #DonYourWhite helps spread the message for bringing colour to our ground, and reaching out to the community in the process :D
5. We don't know where the away leg is yet.

As soon as we do, we have a week to sell tickets and promote it. The MKDSA, in charge of the coaches, will no doubt be all over their marketing for travel, and also tickets as will DonsAction and everyone else is welcome to promote it themselves on here and the socials. We all need to play our part and as soon as we know who and where we are playing, that'll be promoted as much as #DonYourWhite will.

Not to mention, we have a pretty good record at actually achieving away sales targets when we need to - so I've no doubts whatsoever that wherever we go we will have a full and energetic following.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:25 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
Alby39 wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
midfielder wrote:

Yeah for sure, I definitely wasn't implying that they didn't need us at home. I just feel that I am seeing a lot of stuff for the home game at the moment, but if we're not careful, the tie is already over by then.

Seen quite a few calls from fans on Twitter to start selling tickets already and to start promoting the game. I don't think selling tickets would even be possible yet. All 4 teams have to agree to the pricing and we don't even know the 3 other teams taking part yet.

I am critical of the club from a marketing perspective, but I'd be dead against them promoting the home leg at this stage with too much focus. We've still got 2 games to play before then. They should be trying to build excitement around the Sutton game. Lets get a big crowd in and get behind the players ahead of the play off campaign.

Great idea's like "Don Your White" are pointless if we start the home tie 5-0 down.

It feels like every one of your posts are about us getting battered 5-0 in the first leg. It's almost like you want it to happen :lol:

I'm not particularly optimistic heading into the playoffs, we've been hurt too many times before. But, there's a difference between not getting your hopes up and being downright negative. There's no point going into these games acting like it's over before a ball's been kicked.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:13 pm 

DonnieAndMooie wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
Alby39 wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
midfielder wrote:

It feels like every one of your posts are about us getting battered 5-0 in the first leg. It's almost like you want it to happen :lol:

I'm not particularly optimistic heading into the playoffs, we've been hurt too many times before. But, there's a difference between not getting your hopes up and being downright negative. There's no point going into these games acting like it's over before a ball's been kicked.

Not at all, I just think if we don't approach the game correctly that is what could happen. I definitely don't want it to happen, the complete opposite in fact which is why I worry about it too much!

Our away form, but more specifically the amount of goals we concede away from home remains a valid concern. Hoping with it being over 2 legs, that our mindset will be a tad different if we do concede compared to the likes of the Bradford and Stockport games.

Would be delighted with a draw in the away leg.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:21 pm 

As it's St George's day

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VOOZDO5KDv4

Although Henry V was Welsh, Kenneth Brannagh is Irish (Northern) and St George was Greek.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:24 am 

Been reading this thread, and others, with interest this last few weeks - seems to be a lot of PTSD going around when it comes to playoffs.

Personally, I can only really reference the last attempt - the L1 playoff vs Wycombe (although I also suffered heartbreak at Wembley as an 18 year old Sunderland fan after a rollercoaster 4-4 draw with Charlton!).

But wasn't the main criticism back then that we changed our style - "tried to out-Wycombe Wycombe" as someone put it? We went there with a new game plan, got schooled, and then couldn't turn the deficit around in an excellent home game a few days later.

But now people are saying we need to change our style away to Barrow or whoever?

Not saying I disagree necessarily either - we do seem partial to an away-day thumping. I am torn.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next