THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 9:35 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Playoff mentality
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:35 am 

Alby39 wrote:
Russybcool wrote:
Alby39 wrote:
500 tops for Crawley and/or Crewe :lol:

We took over 1k to Huddersfield 2-0 down in midweek, we're hardly going to struggle to take less than what we usually take to 1. The most easily accessible away trip on our calender 2. A relatively simple trip to Crawley

What the play off game 12 years ago? Fucking hell I will give you the straws to clutch. I am pretty sure 12 years ago a carton of cheap Asda orange juice didn't cost £1.19 and that petrol was not £1.50 a litre. I maybe wrong we might take a fleet of coaches to the away leg but don't forget no trains are running that weekend (so not that simple is it????) so I doubt I would be arsed unless I drive and fuck driving to Crawley from where I am. I am not trying to shit on your parade, but be realistic here not everyone lives in your ivory tower where money is no object and outside factors like train strikes don't exist.

Jesus, alright sugar tits do you mind calming the fuck down? Who's shot on your cornflakes????

Good comeback. I applauded you for such wit :roll: . All I am saying is for most money doesn't grow on trees. If it does at the bottom of your garden then bully for you. But you comment shows how little you actually have to say other than over a decade ago we took 1000 in a league one play off when we were averaging nearly 2.5k more a home game and it was a division higher. I am probably lowballing it I will hold my hands up to that, but the fact that you are so quick to dismiss my points shows that you must live in a different world to everyone else. As I say let's hope its not Barrow. That will sort out who is going and who is not.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:49 am 

Barrow, I'd agree would be very difficult to get good numbers for. But Crewe and Crawley, to suggest struggling to crack 500, which is what you LITERALLY said and just apologised for lowballing, is what I found baffling.

Money doesn't grow on trees, granted. But it didn't grow on trees over a decade ago either on a Tuesday night when we had 2.5k more home supporters - we also had a shit away following back then, I went to nearly every away game that season and the only decent crowds I can remember us taking was QPR and Huddersfield in the playoffs. It's been expensive all season, and we've taken some decent numbers to various places.

Have we got a bit of an issue because of the home leg too? Yeah, sure, we took what, 1.8k to Wycombe 2 years ago midweek too, just after a long trip to Plymouth which costs a hell of a load of travel and ticket money for an early kickoff, so many did hotels, and we still took a healthy crowd there.
Wycombe might be the same county but it isn't a direct and straight train line like Crewe for a 3pm kickoff where we've previously taken decent crowds for League fixtures. We even managed a sell out crowd to Burton when we were appalling, and fighting relegation is hardly fighting for promotion.. Crawley, I've never done by train but I've done by car 3 times, each of which we left after half 11 and still found a pub for a pint before so judging by what I've said, I'm comfortable we wouldn't struggle to crack 500 for the biggest game of the season so far.

I've not once undermined how much ot costs. I work, I earn a wage and I know what I can and can't afford just like everyone else. Just because you might be struggling to afford two games in a week, which is fine, everyone's priorities are different and finances have different priorities, doesn't mean everyone is in the same boat to not be able to do it, resulting in, as you said a lowballed figure.
I'm not suggesting we'll take 2,000, I'm laughing at your statement on 500 tickets.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:59 pm 

Barrow is the IDEAL playoff game, we'd walk all over them over two legs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:04 pm 

CleanDon wrote:

The Barrow that have taken four points off us this season? That Barrow?

This is the play-offs. To assume any fixture is a walkover is ridiculous.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:14 pm 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
CleanDon wrote:

The Barrow that have taken four points off us this season? That Barrow?

This is the play-offs. To assume any fixture is a walkover is ridiculous.

It's hardly a forgone conclusion, but of all of the teams we could face, I don't think Barrow would be a bad outcome. Horrible trip on a bank holiday Monday, but, from a purely footballing point of view, I'd have a lot more confidence up against them than a lot of the others. They're on an awful run of form, with 5 defeats and 1 draw from their last 6. Or if we take it back further, only 4 wins in their last 15 games. As for the two games where we failed to beat them, in the home game we totally outplayed them in the first half and absolutely bottled in the second half because our confidence was absolutely on the floor under Alexander. The away game was a bit disappointing but it was one of our first games after Max got injured and I think we were still adjusting to how we would cope without him. We're a completely different team with a fit and firing Max Dean.

But, like you say, it is the playoffs, and I've seen enough playoff campaigns to know that quite literally anything is possible.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:13 pm 

Alby39 wrote:
Barrow, I'd agree would be very difficult to get good numbers for. But Crewe and Crawley, to suggest struggling to crack 500, which is what you LITERALLY said and just apologised for lowballing, is what I found baffling.

Money doesn't grow on trees, granted. But it didn't grow on trees over a decade ago either on a Tuesday night when we had 2.5k more home supporters - we also had a shit away following back then, I went to nearly every away game that season and the only decent crowds I can remember us taking was QPR and Huddersfield in the playoffs. It's been expensive all season, and we've taken some decent numbers to various places.

Have we got a bit of an issue because of the home leg too? Yeah, sure, we took what, 1.8k to Wycombe 2 years ago midweek too, just after a long trip to Plymouth which costs a hell of a load of travel and ticket money for an early kickoff, so many did hotels, and we still took a healthy crowd there.
Wycombe might be the same county but it isn't a direct and straight train line like Crewe for a 3pm kickoff where we've previously taken decent crowds for League fixtures. We even managed a sell out crowd to Burton when we were appalling, and fighting relegation is hardly fighting for promotion.. Crawley, I've never done by train but I've done by car 3 times, each of which we left after half 11 and still found a pub for a pint before so judging by what I've said, I'm comfortable we wouldn't struggle to crack 500 for the biggest game of the season so far.

I've not once undermined how much ot costs. I work, I earn a wage and I know what I can and can't afford just like everyone else. Just because you might be struggling to afford two games in a week, which is fine, everyone's priorities are different and finances have different priorities, doesn't mean everyone is in the same boat to not be able to do it, resulting in, as you said a lowballed figure.
I'm not suggesting we'll take 2,000, I'm laughing at your statement on 500 tickets.

If it's Barrow at 1500 it's definitely doable by train (I was planning to go to the away fixture but was stymied by strikes and engineering work)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:17 pm 

voxish wrote:
If it's Barrow at 1500 it's definitely doable by train (I was planning to go to the away fixture but was stymied by strikes and engineering work)

It is, but it's five hours each way by train and at least £75 return even using split ticketing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:39 pm 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
voxish wrote:

It is, but it's five hours each way by train and at least £75 return even using split ticketing.

And it'll be on telly. I think there's plenty that would rather save the time and money

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:13 pm 

DonnieAndMooie wrote:
Lieutenant Dan wrote:
voxish wrote:

And it'll be on telly. I think there's plenty that would rather save the time and money

Where's the fun in that! It's a pretty straightforward trip though, even time for a pint in Manchester :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:23 pm 

I didn't go. It was on my birthday. Wasn't spending my birthday there

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next