THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 7:56 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:48 pm 

THE MELTDOWN – HARROGATE TOWN
A strange one this, and I’m not really sure what to make of it.

In honesty Harrogate only had the slimmest of chances to make the playoffs anyway, and we were sort of resting players, mixing it up and trying to secure 4th spot, basically getting in, and getting out without too much fuss, no injury concerns and no disciplinary issues to worry about.

It felt to some degree a bit like a pre-season friendly and I think that was sort of the confirmed feeling as the ref hardly had to speak to a player all game regarding an overzealous challenge or anything really, the major misdemeanour being a shirt pull.

It took a while to get going, but when it did the goals flowed as both defences creaked like a barn door in a thunderstorm. If I had to be critical of us I’d say that sometimes we wanted too long on the ball at the back and failed to clear our lines on a number of occasions, something we have seen time and time again this season as we never seem quick to react to a loose ball.

Once the game got a head of steam up you could see there was going to be goals and it could have been loads more as Harrogate hit the woodwork an incredible 5 times.

You would hope we played with a few more gears in the locker and that would make sense, no point getting injured in almost a dead rubber game with the playoffs only a couple of weeks away.

What was pleasing was that all our main men got on the scoresheet and there was one or two decent goals and a bit of a bizarre goal for Wearne, I’ve never seen so many fans looking round saying, “What the hell happened there” . Kelly cleared long and the ball found its way to Wearne and the Harrogate defence just stopped and watched as time appeared just to stand still, and Wearne scored this easiest goal of his life.

So yes a hard game to weigh up, but it was mission accomplished, points in the bag, 4th confirmed and no injuries and hopefully it will be more of the same next week as we need to go into the playoffs with a full squad to pick from.

Behind us in the league table one or two clubs are trying their hardest not to make the playoffs and ultimately some of those with an outside chance have finally fallen away, most notably AFC but at least they won their Cup Final to give then some comfort through the long summer months.

The picture is still not clear, but with a couple of fixtures on Tuesday night it should become a bit clearer, and I can still see our future opponents changing on several occasions next Saturday, with a possible sting in the tail for one or more clubs….a last minute winner grabbing that final spot or something like that. And I have to say I’m glad we won’t be going through the wringer on that emotional rollercoaster….well not until the playoffs commence.

That’s it……Carry on.

8-) WD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:22 am 

I'm hoping that Saturday can be a peaceful and enjoyable afternoon for both teams. Sutton, no need to beat fuck out of us and do all they can to desperately survive, this because they're already down as Colchester did us a favour and kept the big bad Donny boys away from us :lol: we can all just have a laugh and enjoy a beer in the sun and a football game.

I'm not 'fearful' of Doncaster, that run has to end eventually, surely nobody who's spent a lot of the season being dross can win, by the end 13 games in a row? I mean, it's happened before I guess but surely not? Though, they are the one I fear most.
I'd fancy us over pretty much anyone else in there though, though they all pack a lunch and all different challenges for different reasons.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:49 am 

Alby39 wrote:
I'm hoping that Saturday can be a peaceful and enjoyable afternoon for both teams. Sutton, no need to beat fuck out of us and do all they can to desperately survive, this because they're already down as Colchester did us a favour and kept the big bad Donny boys away from us :lol: we can all just have a laugh and enjoy a beer in the sun and a football game.

I'm not 'fearful' of Doncaster, that run has to end eventually, surely nobody who's spent a lot of the season being dross can win, by the end 13 games in a row? I mean, it's happened before I guess but surely not? Though, they are the one I fear most.
I'd fancy us over pretty much anyone else in there though, though they all pack a lunch and all different challenges for different reasons.

Barnsley did something similar to Doncaster and got promoted.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:14 am 

I think all the other teams going for play offs will fear us more than we fear them, including Doncaster.

We're by far the best team outside of the top 3 and if it wasn't for our play off record, I'd be more confident.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:33 am 

East Wing Don wrote:
I think all the other teams going for play offs will fear us more than we fear them, including Doncaster.

We're by far the best team outside of the top 3 and if it wasn't for our play off record, I'd be more confident.

Exactly.

Don’t worry about our previous play off record. It’s based on different players (except one!) and different managers. It’s more logical to think that the team that finishes fourth is better than the ones below.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:42 am 

dons50 wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:

Exactly.

Don’t worry about our previous play off record. It’s based on different players (except one!) and different managers. It’s more logical to think that the team that finishes fourth is better than the ones below.

Yup, although I am still nervous about the away leg.

I just rewatched the extended highlights and Harrogate could have had 6 or 7. That's fine if we score more than them like we did yesterday but equally it could be another Bradford if we're not careful.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:43 pm 

ReturnofMoo wrote:
Alby39 wrote:

And now look where they are this season.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:40 pm 

Russybcool wrote:
ReturnofMoo wrote:
Alby39 wrote:

And now look where they are this season.

Similar to us when we got promoted to the Championship. The question is how to become an Ipswich or even a Coventry, rather than a Rotherham. Investment must be part of it. However, it's not the fulll reason.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:50 am 

I do fear Doncaster as they are bang in form and we are not at our best currently. The game on saturday just reinforced my concerns as we not only shipped goals but more concerningly could have shipped a whole lot more. The away leg is key and we dont haveto win it but we absolutely cannot come away 2 goals behind and that is a tough ask currently.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:11 am 

Magpie wrote:
I do fear Doncaster as they are bang in form and we are not at our best currently. The game on saturday just reinforced my concerns as we not only shipped goals but more concerningly could have shipped a whole lot more. The away leg is key and we dont haveto win it but we absolutely cannot come away 2 goals behind and that is a tough ask currently.

Im more concerned that to this day I have never seen a plan b from Williamson. Its always been the same even if we are winning. Even if we do take a lead to the second leg I don't think he is great at managing leads. The Notts County thing sticks in my mind. How we couldn't defend that lead for 7 minutes is beyond me how we are going to do it for a whole match if we win the first leg.