THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 5:47 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:40 am 

Alby39 wrote:
TangerineDon wrote:
dons50 wrote:
Should Coventry and Chelsea be playing a replay this week?

Who remebers the epic Chelsea Leeds final (s) ? never to be repeated.

D50 does, and doesn't think it was an epic. Thinks its a disgrace and that's not how football should ever have been played and we should look back on it in horror not joy

I Do, or think I do: wasn't it 1970? 2-2 and then 1-0 or 2-1 Osgood header (from a corner)??

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:33 am 

Plum wrote:
I can understand the reasoning for ending replays. And it's seemed increasingly inevitable for a good while.

Almost all other European countries have one main cup competition, not two. And even with one I think most don't have replays? They also have winter breaks rather than a busy Christmas and New Year schedule but that's another issue.

Sticking to our different 'traditions' is fine, when possible in an ever changing and increasing footballing calendar. But with so many new / extended competitions being introduced, for clubs and countries, and so much more running demanded with each generation, then the physical demands of the top / international players has to be reduced somewhere. I'm sure that's why we're seeing more muscle injuries, and more players collapsing with heart issues, despite the players being fitter and more athletic than they've ever been.

I think replays could have been kept for the first couple of rounds, to benefit non-league clubs getting ties at comparatively big league one and two grounds, or getting TV money. However for the international players of the top two divisions, especially the top-flight, those players are pretty much playing all year round and all over the world. More and more games are being created either for club or country and something has to give for player safety and welfare. Falling in line with most other countries and removing replays was always likely to be one of the first steps. Either that, or keep the FA Cup replays but fall in line with most other countries and abandon the second Cup entirely and open up free time that way?

If replays are just for financial benefits, just scrap replays and filter the money made throughout the tournament fairly down the divisions, especially the lower ones.

If it's not solely about money, and equally memories and experiences etc then they should be kept

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:53 pm 

Simple solutions are available for the money side of it but they rarely benefit the vested interests that make or influence decisions so they are ignored.
Currently clubs must share the information on gate receipts as we know the receipts are shared after costs, all that needs to be done is that the FA total up all the receipts for the round and share it equally amongst all clubs, then there is no luck of the draw but an equal share of revenue for all clubs which will disproportionately help the smaller clubs who have a lower turnover.