THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:21 am 

The other thing is that, despite lower- and non-league football becoming much more a "thing" for young guys to get involved in, our club doesn't fit with that aesthetic or trend. It's in a big bowl stadium and for many reasons, which others have laid out, doesn't have the vibe of most clubs of our position.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:33 am 

Alby39 wrote:
Because we're rubbish

I have thought about that quite a bit actually. I think for younger fans that simple school jibe must have a decent amount of effect.

The thing is though, that true of any team not in the EPL and quote frankly also true of about half the EPL as well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:37 am 

voxish wrote:
ReturnofMoo wrote:
For a number of reasons which include

Lack of a football culture / history in the area
Support of Premiership clubs, especially London clubs
Lack of MK identity
Success of local rivals
A lot of warehouse / shift work, working Saturdays
The failure to establish a Championship team
Low income compared to high prices, less disposal income
Lack of atmosphere
Mistakes by Pete and the board

All of the above are possible factors but the main thing is that AFCW did a job on us putting about the false story that we 'stole' WFC. The true (and half true) facts are lost in the mists of time and now we're forever smeared. There's no way casual fans are going to be bothered with having to defend themselves over this (even now, I can speak to normal sensible non-football people, if I mention MK Dons it's almost like a shaming - or if not, some jocular reference). So, no, we'll never grow with that hanging over us, the club needed to take a far more aggressive stance on this with clear statements and meaningful talks with AFCW and the FA. Too late now, it's drifted along for 20 years since the meaningless 'accord', I can't speak for everyone obvs but I'm fed up of being pushed around and treated like pariahs (for what? We had no say in the matter)

I think there might be something in this for slightly older fans. If I meet people and they ask about football and who I support etc. I half dread the conversation when I say MK Dons. Some dont care at all but most who do ask have a fairly negative view.

Im not sure thats so true of the younger fans, they play as all sorts of teams on FIFA and most either dont know or dont care about the whole saga

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:27 pm 

Magpie wrote:
voxish wrote:
ReturnofMoo wrote:

Lack of MK identity
Success of local rivals
Lack of atmosphere

All of the above are possible factors but the main thing is that AFCW did a job on us putting about the false story that we 'stole' WFC. The true (and half true) facts are lost in the mists of time and now we're forever smeared. There's no way casual fans are going to be bothered with having to defend themselves over this (even now, I can speak to normal sensible non-football people, if I mention MK Dons it's almost like a shaming - or if not, some jocular reference). So, no, we'll never grow with that hanging over us, the club needed to take a far more aggressive stance on this with clear statements and meaningful talks with AFCW and the FA. Too late now, it's drifted along for 20 years since the meaningless 'accord', I can't speak for everyone obvs but I'm fed up of being pushed around and treated like pariahs (for what? We had no say in the matter)

I think there might be something in this for slightly older fans. If I meet people and they ask about football and who I support etc. I half dread the conversation when I say MK Dons. Some dont care at all but most who do ask have a fairly negative view.

Im not sure thats so true of the younger fans, they play as all sorts of teams on FIFA and most either dont know or dont care about the whole saga

I would suggest pretty much all kids under the age of around 16 would have absolutely no idea about how we were formed. I genuinely think we would just be seen as another lower league club to them. They'll be put off by the fact we're in League Two (or even League One if we go up), but not because we're the franchise. The only reason they would know or care about our history would be because a parent or someone they look up to has explained to them that they have to hate us.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:05 pm 

When I first started coming consistently, in the 08/09 season on the back of Wembley and promotion, we had pretty much the entire second half of the season at home £1 kids £10 adults. I get it was a long time ago, but it helped bring consistency. Me and my Dad used to travel up from Bedford for it, one occasion against Brighton it was 1pm sat in the living room watching the telly and my dad didn't even know we were at home until he asked who MK Dons had that day. Said Brighton at home, same prices as before and by 2pm we were in Milton Keynes heading toward ASDA for a pasty before picking some tickets up. We went to almost all home games after the Leicester home game - and we had season tickets by the April for the next season because it was fun.

Family fun day was organised, fun and had effort and entertainment for the kids. The club shop had stuff in it, players were walking around outside the ground talking to young fans and taking pictures and signing autographs, we had open training sessions for fans to meet their favourites, and the on field stuff was fun and exciting and had been for 2 straight years with Allen, Ince and RDM.

I get these kinda of efforts cost money and you'd probably lose more money than you make - but it turned me from having it as something to do on a Saturday with my dad, to us as season ticket holders to this day. I didn't care that kids at school laughed at my team because I just laughed back at them that at least I go to football games and they have to wait until MOTD to see highlights of their team.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:19 pm 

voxish wrote:
ReturnofMoo wrote:

Lack of MK identity
Success of local rivals
Lack of atmosphere

You really are obsessed about the move, aren't you? :lol:

If so many people in the area have such an issue about watching MK Dons, how come they fall over themselves trying to get tickets when a big team comes to town?

Most of the factors listed on this thread are valid IMO - and the club certainly isn't helping itself atm - but a widespread impact of the move and AFCW in the long-term probably exists only in your head.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:26 pm 

I think ironically the size of the stadium has also a big part to play in us being able to grow the fanbase.

Being in a smaller, compact stadium would lead to a better atmosphere & would help the first timers psychologically feel a instant connection to the club and team & hopefully help encourage them to come back and experience it again.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:34 pm 

MK:Tom wrote:
I think ironically the size of the stadium has also a big part to play in us being able to grow the fanbase.

Being in a smaller, compact stadium would lead to a better atmosphere & would help the first timers psychologically feel a instant connection to the club and team & hopefully help encourage them to come back and experience it again.

To that point, would anyone actually mention the size of the fan base if we didn’t have such a massive stadium?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:39 pm 

MK:Tom wrote:

Yep, I brought some family who were visiting to a game the season before last so one where we were decent. they liked it but said the atmosphere was odd (They are predominantly Everton fans) and said the atmosphere was like an friendly match and thought it was because there were so few in such a big stadium. I do understand that, if you were a first time visitor, you might wonder if its something that you wanted to do again?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:52 pm 

They're good points Alby makes in regards to what the club used to do, none of which is really my thing, but you turn up these days and there's fuck all to entice the casual supporters with young families to even bother.

I'm sure Pete has said recently that they've tried everything they can think of but nothing has worked. Looking as if they've given up. Certainly looks that way going by the abysmal match day experience. Even if a casual supporter did go, what on earth would make them want to return?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next