THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:17 pm 

Let's be Frank, the home support isn't much better when we play Pompey, Ipswich, Sheff Wed, Derby, Coventry etc etc.

The away end being rammo shouldn't delude you into thinking the home attendance is all that good

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:41 pm 

20 years goes by and the fan base is what it is.

Pete didn't / couldn't invest to keep us in the Championship. If he had, maybe we would still be there in lower mid table with a slowly growing fan base and the loan of some Premier League squad players to give us a bit of excitement.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:48 am 

midfielder wrote:

Pete didn't / couldn't invest to keep us in the Championship. If he had, maybe we would still be there in lower mid table with a slowly growing fan base and the loan of some Premier League squad players to give us a bit of excitement.

And season after season selling your best players doesn't help either. I'm sure first decent offer they get for Dean he,'ll be next to go.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:59 am 

Zeberdee wrote:
midfielder wrote:

And season after season selling your best players doesn't help either. I'm sure first decent offer they get for Dean he,'ll be next to go.

That's an absolute fact of life for any club outside the Championship. Leagues 1 and 2 are broadly similar financially (with the exception of teams who have temporarily dipped from the big time) but the championship is an order of magnitude more expensive as are the risks of failure. Just add a zero onto the end of transfer fees.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:09 am 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
voxish wrote:
ReturnofMoo wrote:
For a number of reasons which include

Lack of a football culture / history in the area
Support of Premiership clubs, especially London clubs
Lack of MK identity
Success of local rivals
A lot of warehouse / shift work, working Saturdays
The failure to establish a Championship team
Low income compared to high prices, less disposal income
Lack of atmosphere
Mistakes by Pete and the board

All of the above are possible factors but the main thing is that AFCW did a job on us putting about the false story that we 'stole' WFC. The true (and half true) facts are lost in the mists of time and now we're forever smeared. There's no way casual fans are going to be bothered with having to defend themselves over this (even now, I can speak to normal sensible non-football people, if I mention MK Dons it's almost like a shaming - or if not, some jocular reference). So, no, we'll never grow with that hanging over us, the club needed to take a far more aggressive stance on this with clear statements and meaningful talks with AFCW and the FA. Too late now, it's drifted along for 20 years since the meaningless 'accord', I can't speak for everyone obvs but I'm fed up of being pushed around and treated like pariahs (for what? We had no say in the matter)

You really are obsessed about the move, aren't you? :lol:

If so many people in the area have such an issue about watching MK Dons, how come they fall over themselves trying to get tickets when a big team comes to town?

Most of the factors listed on this thread are valid IMO - and the club certainly isn't helping itself atm - but a widespread impact of the move and AFCW in the long-term probably exists only in your head.

Not 'obsessed' at all, I'm merely pointing out that it's a huge factor and that it's delusional to discount it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:40 am 

voxish wrote:
Lieutenant Dan wrote:
voxish wrote:
ReturnofMoo wrote:
For a number of reasons which include

Lack of a football culture / history in the area
Support of Premiership clubs, especially London clubs
Lack of MK identity
Success of local rivals
A lot of warehouse / shift work, working Saturdays
The failure to establish a Championship team
Low income compared to high prices, less disposal income
Lack of atmosphere
Mistakes by Pete and the board

All of the above are possible factors but the main thing is that AFCW did a job on us putting about the false story that we 'stole' WFC. The true (and half true) facts are lost in the mists of time and now we're forever smeared. There's no way casual fans are going to be bothered with having to defend themselves over this (even now, I can speak to normal sensible non-football people, if I mention MK Dons it's almost like a shaming - or if not, some jocular reference). So, no, we'll never grow with that hanging over us, the club needed to take a far more aggressive stance on this with clear statements and meaningful talks with AFCW and the FA. Too late now, it's drifted along for 20 years since the meaningless 'accord', I can't speak for everyone obvs but I'm fed up of being pushed around and treated like pariahs (for what? We had no say in the matter)

You really are obsessed about the move, aren't you? :lol:

If so many people in the area have such an issue about watching MK Dons, how come they fall over themselves trying to get tickets when a big team comes to town?

Most of the factors listed on this thread are valid IMO - and the club certainly isn't helping itself atm - but a widespread impact of the move and AFCW in the long-term probably exists only in your head.

Not 'obsessed' at all, I'm merely pointing out that it's a huge factor and that it's delusional to discount it.

Although I'm not going to be as combative as Dan, I do agree that it seems to appear to be a bigger factor to you than most other people on here. Personally, I don't find the real history and the AFC myth-making to have any real impact any more.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:58 am 

I've not met people in MK who hate us, quite a few in fact.

I've met more who don't hate us or don't care, who don't come because it's expensive, it's League 2/1 or they've got other hobbies

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:09 am 

I've met loads of people who won't go because Alby goes, and they don't want to be associated with his type. It's the real reason why Dan stopped going.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:30 pm 

We averaged 13,157 in the Championship (20th out of 24 and two of them Brentford and Rotherham were due to their grounds being smaller than 13k). Deluded to think that even going up the leagues would do anything. Factor in increased away fans that is appalling for a team that reached the highest it has ever been. 21,345 was our highest against Brighton and I can hazard a guess they took a fair few or it was a family fun day maybe. Just face facts the populous of MK don't and will not care unless we get to the Premier League and even then I would struggle to see that happening. Can't want us at our worst. Don't deserve us at our best springs to mind.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:20 pm 

Russybcool wrote:
We averaged 13,157 in the Championship (20th out of 24 and two of them Brentford and Rotherham were due to their grounds being smaller than 13k). Deluded to think that even going up the leagues would do anything. Factor in increased away fans that is appalling for a team that reached the highest it has ever been. 21,345 was our highest against Brighton and I can hazard a guess they took a fair few or it was a family fun day maybe. Just face facts the populous of MK don't and will not care unless we get to the Premier League and even then I would struggle to see that happening. Can't want us at our worst. Don't deserve us at our best springs to mind.

Let's be honest. New city. Lots of people thrown together from all over. no real connection to the city apart from being a decent place to live. No community spirit, you saw the bus parade Luton had last year. Half the town was there because they felt a bit of pride in the town even if they don't go to games , if MK had a bus parade how many would turn out for it ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next