THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 12:11 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:19 am 

THE MELTDOWN – FOREST GREEN ROVERS
I did wonder if was worth firing up the PC for this one as basically there is not much to comment on after the debacle of Easter Monday that sparked plenty of criticism for Williamson and his goalkeeping selections.

Kelly quietly returned with not a mention or a difficult question from the local media as to why MW had chosen to gamble on his shot stopper of choice.
As a beaming Kelly strode out to his pre-match warm up he was greeted by a more enthusiastic than normal appreciation from the travelling army, for Marschall a more muted round of applause, but I suspect that was more out of relief than anything else.

As it happens I think at my ripe old age I could have played at FGR as Kelly had nothing to do. Well I say that I was concerned he was rooted to the goal line on a couple of occasions, and I felt he could have come out once to prevent an attack on another, but he did beat away a one on one opportunity that subsequently turned out to be offside, but he didn’t know that….so yes, job done, no fuss, and I don’t know whether it was me being a bit more relaxed with Kelly in goal, but I got the impression the defence seemed more confident in his ability as well.

Tucker and Lewie returned and largely kept FGR at bay, although they did have one or two difficult moments with the lively Garrick who had scored a brace at Crewe on Easter Monday, but by and large they never got much of a look in and Christian Doidge their record goal scorer was virtually anonymous.

One funny moment I picked up on that probably went unnoticed was when Max Dean ran at Keogh, Dean turned Keogh inside an out with the veteran defender seeking assistance with a grabbed shirt, as it happens Dean’s pass came to nothing, but it was Keogh’s reaction that made me chuckle, he looked at Dean puffed out his cheeks and shook his head as if to say, “Who the f**k is he”.

I felt the game was a bit dull, and I think with an open terrace it never really made for a good atmosphere despite the circa 600 that had made the journey.
We were very patient passing it around and never really made much of an impression on their defensive line and it took a mistake to break the stalemate, Dean seizing on a short pass and knocking it past Reyes and followed it up by taunting the home fans which is becoming a bit of a trait of his.

I’m not really sure if I like that aspect of his game, winding up oppo fans might feel like good sport, but does it encourage them to get behind their team…I don’t know.

Early in the second half Bate wrestled back control of the ball in the centre of the park, surged forward picking out Lofty on the right, who in turn picked out Gilbey to drill the ball home, effectively it was game over.

In truth FGR never really tested us, it was all long ball stuff from them, and it rarely troubled us, the only thing tested was our patience as they seemed to like a bit of off the ball stuff, the horrible Inniss being one of the main culprits.

As you can see I’m struggling this week, so one minor detail, I did note several of our players slipping over, I just wonder who advises on stud patterns or types of boot to be worn, as I think several of our players got it wrong.

I think the one question unanswered for me is how the hell did FGR go to Crewe and win 3-0, still if they do it at Mansfield on Tuesday I won’t care.

So with Saturdays result or to be more specific the Mansfield humbling at home to Crawley, the door of opportunity widens just a tad more, and they have some tough fixtures left. It boils down to one thing, beat them on Saturday and ramp up the pressure even more, if we win I wouldn’t be shocked to go up automatically, lose or draw and I’ll see you at Wembley.

Finally….FGR might well be destined for the National League, but well done to them for the pre-match experience, it’s a bit rough and ready, but at least they are trying, just a bit sad though that some of our disabled fans were unable to go as they only allow two wheelchair users….you may be green FGR, but you have dropped the ball on the needs and rights of disabled fans.

Have a good week.

8-) WD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:31 am 

Keogh said “What the fuck was that” to Dean, due to his wayward shot.

Garrick is our only hope on Tuesday. The only player in that team who seemed even slightly capable.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:53 am 

East Wing Don wrote:
Keogh said “What the fuck was that” to Dean, due to his wayward shot.

Garrick is our only hope on Tuesday. The only player in that team who seemed even slightly capable.

I suppose a suitable riposte from young Max might have been "Whatever. I bet I won't finish my career with a relegation playing for Forest Green F- Rovers".

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:03 am 

The two minute highlights reel that the club have posted on YouTube ends with a nice and audible "they are trying to pass it into the net... Same old MK, taking the piss" :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:07 am 

Dean: I love his shothousery. Absolutely love it. And he backs it up. I guarantee had he played against AFC, it'd have been slightly different. Not necessarily that we'd have won and maybe still lost, but the bite we lacked that they didn't, he'd have given us. You need that sometimes. Sometimes it is a bit needless, but whilst he's backing it up with goals good on him.

Keeper: Not much to see here, move on.

Atmosphere: Don't know if you could hear it but they'd rival Everton on the booing scale. Booed everything. And I honestly don't really get what they were whinging about. I get they're desperate but there wasn't much in the game they can be annoyed about and any pushing and shoving they may have gripes about they gave as good as we did.
Away end didn't sound great but I've been there 3 times and know how tough it is to generate noise there.

Intensity: we didn't need to be intense and gonfor it any more than we did, they were shit and we were always gonna win that game even with our patchy form. We don't need to overdo it when we need to preserve players energy and wellbeing for more important games to come. Nothing rash needed. Points gained, move on.

Good write up.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:27 am 

If Max does it against Mansfield I won't complain.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:43 am 

ReturnofMoo wrote:
If Max does it against Mansfield I won't complain.

I hope he scores a hat trick and wishes every single one of the travelling fans a safe journey home.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:30 pm 

Such a shame we conceded late against notts as we would be now ,
I think , red hot favourites to go up automatically.

As it is though we have 7 points from 9 after the beating at Stockport which I would have taken given two of those three were away. We are scoring plenty of goals- 10 in the last 3 games- and our forwards are scoring freely.

3 wins and we will go up I am sure of it. All about Saturday now.